Hydroboost Conversion Done

Tom S

Reaction score
Are you guys planning on deleting the vacuum pump and going with an electric one to run the heater controls?

gnxtc2

Reaction score
I did this mod years ago. I did a write up also. http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29267&highlight=hydroboost

I used all F-Superduty parts from 1997.

When I did the hydroboost conversion, I did the rear disc conversion. I never liked the feeling of the disc conversion. I went back to my original drum brakes. (For more info read here: http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49247&highlight=hydroboost ) I wanted to swap in the valve from the OBS master onto the F-SD master but I've got rid of the master.

If anyone is getting rid of their OBS master, could you send me the valve or master?

Thanks

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Are you guys planning on deleting the vacuum pump and going with an electric one to run the heater controls?

I was looking into getting rid of the vacuum pump but decided not to. If you get rid of the vacuum pump, then you have to re-route the serpentine belt or make an idler pulley to take place of the vacuum pump. To much for me

I left the vacuum pump alone for the HVAC controls. I just carry a spare vacuum pump for the long trips.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Peroni

Reaction score

Nope I personally don't see the need to. As Billy said you need to source a new belt or install another idler pulley. Then there is the cost of a new pump, finding out where to mount it and then adding in more wiring.

I would rather investigate converting the HVAC controls to full electric and delete the vacuum pump totally than convert to an electric vacuum pump.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Nope I personally don't see the need to. As Billy said you need to source a new belt or install another idler pulley. Then there is the cost of a new pump, finding out where to mount it and then adding in more wiring.

I would rather investigate converting the HVAC controls to full electric and delete the vacuum pump totally than convert to an electric vacuum pump.

You mean this:

IMG_4055_Medium_.JPG

There's a write somewhere. I think it might be on .org.

Found it: http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/94...214-so-you-want-climate-control-your-obs.html

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

Tom S

Reaction score
Somebody make as nice AC delete pulley, I have posted up the brand before but it is not coming back to me at the moment. Nice link Billy.

Tom S

Reaction score
AC Delete Idler Pulley
(Ford) F5TE 19A216 AB F5TZ 8678 AC
(Motorcraft) YS-261

old man dave

Reaction score
Sounded like that guy still retained some vacuum operated parts??? Still, took a lot of research and testicular fortitude to do that one.

Strokersace

Reaction score

Actually it's not that difficult to put in an electric vac pump from a SD. It's only 2 wires - a ground and power source. I tapped into the ones that go to that vac indicator deal by the dist block on the driver's fender. Our trucks have that resevior on the side of the blower motor housing and that's all the reserve you need to run the hvac controls. Easy cheesy!!

I swapped everything over to the SD brackets, pulleys, belt, everything, so I didn't have an option for the belt driven vac pump. I like it better that way. Cleaner, 1 less belt driven pump to go bad, etc.

I'd love to do what Garrett did in that link Billy posted. Super neat!!

Peroni

Reaction score
1 less belt driven pump to go bad, etc.

+1 more electric thing to go bad. It's a trade off really. Never had a problem with my mechanical vacuum pump but it can take a dump same as an electric one. My problem is where would I put an electric one given I have several other goodies taking up room under the hood. I'm going to leave things alone for now.

Peroni

Reaction score
Peroni-

Any updates on the system, feel, pedal?

It's been a few weeks and no problems at all. Pedal feels better now that I'm used to it.

The higher Rock Auto price is still a lot cheaper than at a Ford dealer. Looks like these this is a "Get it quick b/f the price goes up!" part!

weareweird69

Reaction score
Sounded like that guy still retained some vacuum operated parts??? Still, took a lot of research and testicular fortitude to do that one.

Yes, the vacuum is still needed with the EATC. Its a Ford thing.

Actually it's not that difficult to put in an electric vac pump from a SD. It's only 2 wires - a ground and power source. I tapped into the ones that go to that vac indicator deal by the dist block on the driver's fender. Our trucks have that resevior on the side of the blower motor housing and that's all the reserve you need to run the hvac controls. Easy cheesy!!

I swapped everything over to the SD brackets, pulleys, belt, everything, so I didn't have an option for the belt driven vac pump. I like it better that way. Cleaner, 1 less belt driven pump to go bad, etc.

I'd love to do what Garrett did in that link Billy posted. Super neat!!

I plan on ditching my vacuum pump at some point as well. But, Ive got a Hydrobooster sitting here, just need to get the rest of the parts, then I can take full use of my 05 axles! :clapping:

old man dave

Reaction score
The Gates 352810 hose is now backordered with no availability date, website doesn't show this but I got a notice, but there are alternate choices on their website,Hydroboost to gearbox, in AC Delco 36352810 Aug 11-newer 1 availiable and Edelman 80318 Aug 11-newer.

The other hoses seem to be available from Rock Auto.

Someone on PSN posted that he got his hoses from CarQuest but I couldn't find the post.

Tom S

Reaction score
I have one of the motorcraft hoses for this swap if anyone is having trouble finding them. I am not sure which one it is but can figure it out if needed.

Overkill

Reaction score
I have a used setup that I was keeping around as a spare incase I ever had issues with my initial install, but my setup has been rock solid with 44" tires even so if interested I would consider selling it.

I have the hydroboost setup with lines and master with reservoir. You would need to change the pump reservoir or just use a T fitting like I did to install this setup. Probably would want $220 + shipping.

Peroni

Reaction score
The Gates 352810 hose is now backordered with no availability date, website doesn't show this but I got a notice, but there are alternate choices on their website,Hydroboost to gearbox, in AC Delco 36352810 Aug 11-newer 1 availiable and Edelman 80318 Aug 11-newer.

The other hoses seem to be available from Rock Auto.

Someone on PSN posted that he got his hoses from CarQuest but I couldn't find the post.

All of this stuff is available from the regular auto parts stores ie CarQuest, Napa, Autozone ect. I used Rock Auto as at the time they had the best prices around + 5% discount and it was all delivered to my door. Ebay also has these parts listed by various sellers. Might be worth a look esp if you have some Ebay Bucks to spend.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.