how do you get a 38r into and obs

smokedout250

Reaction score
Ok I feel this idea is great... I have a turbo I can get in no time at all and I can work the cost of doing it off... I know there are members who have done it. I need advice pics and a part list pls help me out thanks!

Tom S

Reaction score
I converted my truck over to a SD style turbocharger set up in order to try out the new Turbonetics BB turbo charger. I am going to take a stab at detailing how I did that and the parts I used for the conversion. I purchased the following parts:

DSCN09921.JPG

Garrett AiResearch non-EBPV Pedestal 702670-0002 from http://trucksourcediesel.com

DSCN09891.JPG

The bellowed up pipe kit part number 1837872C93. The kit includes new up pipes (shown here ceramic coated), bolts and nuts, a different collector, and steel gaskets. The kit is available at http://shop.blackwidowdiesel.com or International

DSCN09841.JPG

SuperDuty Drivers side exhaust manifold F81Z-9431-AA which is a Ford Only Item

Turbocharger_conversion_009.jpg

Turbocharger_conversion_010.jpg

There is a difference in length at the outlet VS the OBS manifold. I am aware of others that did not swap out this manifold using standard up pipes but I was I wanted to be sure on the alignment with the bellowed up pipes.

DSCN09872.JPG

Turbocharger_conversion_019.jpg

I also purchased a new SD passenger side manifold at International to send to be coated. I think the OBS manifold would have worked fine. International 1831025C1 or Ford F81Z-9430-AA

Turbocharger_conversion_012.jpg

Turbocharger_conversion_013.jpg

I installed the manifolds using Gaskets from Ford exhaust manifold gaskets F4TZ-9448-A or International 1814219C1 and new Ford exhaust manifold to Head Bolts F4TZ-9S425-A or International 1820513C1

Tom S

Reaction score
One of the most difficult jobs of the project was firewall clearance. I think that my truck has the motor situated about as close to the firewall as they come and that added work for this project. I loosened the motor and tranny mounts and slid them forward about a quarter of an inch which helped some. It may have also helped some to pull the cab back. The SD pedestal is taller which creates a clearance issue.
Turbocharger_conversion_024.jpg

DSCN1207.JPG

I used a sledge hammer and a small bottle jack to bend this area of the firewall for clearance for the turbo.

Turbocharger_conversion_028.jpg

Once the insulation is put back up everything looks factory again.

I used hardware store good grade flanged head bolts to mount the pedestal and for turbocharger mounting 2 bolts from International 1817993-C1. The turbocharger to collector marmon clamp was from International 1824400C1 or Ford F81Z-8287-EA ?? I used new orings as well Small (2) F4TZ-6N653-A or 1815560C1 and Large (2) F4TZ-6N653-B or 1815561C1

Turbocharger_conversion_021.jpg

I also found it necessary to dimple or slightly flatten an area on both up pipes and the downpipe to get the clearance that I wanted.

Turbocharger_conversion_027.jpg

The SD turbo has a different exhaust outlet which required downpipe modification. Also shown in this picture is how I deleted the wastegate with the permission of TN and BWD. The stud on the waste gate was created an additional firewall clearance issue. The easiest solution was to remove part of the arm on the gate and used a nut and bolt through the ebpv housing to hold it shut. I deemed this acceptable with the small injectors that I run.

Turbocharger_conversion_026.jpg

The compressor outlet is also different and quite a bit larger.

Turbocharger_conversion_025.jpg

The compressor inlet is larger as well and the turbo comes with a new intake hose. This works if you have the updated black hose kit on the truck. I have a custom CCV delete piece that I had to move up slightly for a good fit with the TN intake hose. I also had to trim off the hose about a half inch on the compressor end for a good fit. It is a very very tight fit initally and I used a drum sander on the die grinder to put a chamfer on it.

Tom S

Reaction score
I was able adapt my Banks downpipe to work with the new charger. There was enough room in the slip joint to extend the length out around an inch. I cut off the flange at the weld line with a chop saw. I had a couple of flanges off of stock SD downpipes and cut one of those off at the right point to where it would just slip over the 3" banks pipe.

Turbocharger_conversion_030.jpg

Turbocharger_conversion_031.jpg

I tacked it into place and had Alan Black tig weld it up. Rocky at Rockin-S-Performance was nice enough to let us use his shop for the welding. The downpipe clamp is Ford part number XC3Z-5A231-AA which is a normal SD piece.

On the intake side I wanted to retain my Banks twin ram intake on the cold side. The alternative would be use a SD intake spider with SD intake manifolds, boots, clamps, etc. I bought a 3" stainless V-band flange, a 3" stainless elbow, and a stainless weld bung at www.atpturbo.com to fabricate the needed hot side piece. I used these parts to duplicate the Banks part but with the proper 3" end on the compressor side.

Turbocharger_conversion_036.jpg

Turbocharger_conversion_034.jpg

Alan Black also Tig welded these parts for me once they were tacked up. Rocky Horn rolled a bead on the boot end at his shop for me.

The other modification needed to make this work was to cut and rotate the Banks intercooler pipe to bring the end higher forward to match up to the compressor outlet piece. I cut the pipe at a 30deg angle in the straight verticle section and rotated it forward about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch. The pipe was again tacked and tig welded.

Turbocharger_conversion_035.jpg

The turbocharger outlet is not quite a standard 3" v band flange however luckily enough by using my old downpipe clamp it worked out nicely and properly compresses the o-ring. The other item needed is a new Compressor outlet/discharge O-ring Ford F81Z-9E436-AA or International 1831227C1.

Tom S

Reaction score
That should get you started and I can try and answer questions for there. I think we have some other guys on here that have done it as well. Oh the 38r fits up the same as the Turbonetics one in the photos. I switched over later on down the road but that particlular TN lives on.

smokedout250

Reaction score
Looks great tom.... think I could make enuff from for a wastegate.? Also is doing all the work worth it or would going with a t4 setup be a better idea? I like this looks and what I can gain from it

Whytry

Reaction score
I like the t4 kits, there are a lot of turbos that fit that. Also leaves a lot for improvement down the road.

Whytry

Reaction score
lol I would just stay with the 38r or d66. Both are proven fast spooling and cheapiest option compared to a mount kit plus turbo.

smokedout250

Reaction score
I hope so I think it will go pretty smooth for install to just gonna need some time lol everyone has a 38r I know they are good I just hope I can meet its needds for fuel

Whytry

Reaction score
It could do more but you will be fine. Lots of people I know run them on stock injectors and stock fuel system.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.