.84 A/R housing

portlandareae28

Reaction score
I have read everything I can find, I would like to hear from people who ARE or HAVE RUN this housing on an OBS. I realize it won't work, will cause too much back pressure, too much heat, I will lose ALL of my top end, etc... But I am curious to hear from those who have run them in the real world to get their opinion. I think with a manual and towing it may be nice to get back into that boost asap. I am intercooled, and I run fairly cool now. Please share your experience, pros and cons.

Thanks!

CSIPSD

Reaction score
High back pressure, even with the wastegate.

Higher EGT's.

Quicker spool...

I would take a 1.00 housing, but not a .84.

I would also not waste any money on a stock turbo. Just throw a T4 or T4i and be done.

portlandareae28

Reaction score
so have you run it on a stock turbo truck? I don't hot rod my truck rarely sees more than probably 2800RPM, is daily driven 99% of the time.. And tows a 9000lb travel trailer a few times a year. Truck is very laggy now, maybe it is something else that I haven't found yet, but I can't find any boost leaks, or anything else obvious..

CSIPSD

Reaction score
so have you run it on a stock turbo truck? I don't hot rod my truck rarely sees more than probably 2800RPM, is daily driven 99% of the time.. And tows a 9000lb travel trailer a few times a year. Truck is very laggy now, maybe it is something else that I haven't found yet, but I can't find any boost leaks, or anything else obvious..

No... I just make **** up as I go.

Yes, I have. And even on an OBS... With AA injectors, and AB's and 160cc's...

If you go with a .84 you HAVE to intercool it... I would STILL not go smaller then a 1.00.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I would still not go smaller then a 1.00...

Or just put a real turbo on there...

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
trade it off and get one with an auto

then put a modded h2E on it, and drop Stage II's in it.....then you'll have a driver.

portlandareae28

Reaction score
hmmmmm.. trade it off (lose money) get an auto (so I can spend more money to have it built to take on a real turbo and stage II injectors)

I wish my money tree would start growing :pint::pint::pint:

mandkole

Reaction score
I found nothing laggy with a decent 1.15 housing stocker and stage 1s. Still does not seem like you have everything figured out yet, or the turbo is dead. If you want to redo a stock turbo, just find a 1.00 housing and run it. I liked the towing manners of my stocker in the OBS, versus the GT42 in the same conditions. Dont misunderstand, the GT42 rips but its a different animal with 10K on its back and takes rpm.

No need for an auto, but with a manual you cant lug it. It would be like having the converter locked on an auto all the time.

portlandareae28

Reaction score
My truck currently loves the trailer behind it, it is just lazy when it is empty which is 99% of the time.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Going from a 1.15 housing to a .84 is a HUGE jump.

If your dead set on a housing change, go with a 1.00. It WILL make a noticeable differance without causing a huge back pressure change.

Part of the reason you feel its lazy is because of the intercooler.

portlandareae28

Reaction score
So pulled the trailer last night to drop it for the wife and kids to start camping tonight, I paid special attention to the EGT's. 65mph Flat ground I run about 700* 2 big climbs that I stayed in it and carried the speed all the way to the top I hit 1200* but it didn't seem to want to climb much past 1200* even on the floor. Here is the thing, the truck works so well with the trailer on it, its not laggy, it pulls hard, etc.. but the second I unhook it, I hate the lag etc again.

97stoker350

Reaction score
I would think with the trailer and weight it gets hot faster, creates more pressure, which spins turbo faster and pulls. No trailer u don't get hot so it is lazy

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Do it. Run a back pressure reference to the actuator with a filter in between. Should work fine.

Latest posts

Members online