Transmission for DT360 in F-350

97F350

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals,

Been scouring over searches for hours and I have seen that I can get adapter plates to fit E40D or I can use Allison 2000 bell houses to fit 1000 series and several twin stick nonlocking options, I am looking for something that will bolt right up, medium duty with overdrive or double overdrive, 6-10 gears, pref automatic.

I am wanting to mate it between a DT(a)360 and the appropriate transfer case, I know some smaller light duty transmissions could handle what I pull, but I am going for as durable as I can w/o buying a bigger rig. I am not planning to pro-tune the DT, just going with all the improved parts, bringing it somewhere between 550-750hp, 1375-1850tq. That being said, I may build it to handle that but scale it down some, I don't want a dog but I don't need a hot dog! I have done a a lot of reading on the engine itself and I know its the one I want but I am looking for the perfect mate to put behind it that can power a 4x4 and handle cross country towing of anything from dead head to a backhoe to who knows what... I was looking at a Fuller TX14607 but from all the info I was able to Google, I cant tell for sure if its even auto, let alone locking!

I put this under the Engine Conversion because it's part of my research for converting my engine! :doh: So if it needs moved, I understand.

Thanks for the input guys, other things I want to add in is the possibility of heavier axles and anything else that would help make it a bulletproof ride for many many hard working miles.

I am still reading up on weight limits (my CDL class isnt until next fall in my diesel tech program) but there is a guy that runs from Texas to up here at the local stockyard that has a 3500 (cant remember if its cheby or dodge) that's got a 57,000 GOV sticker on it, is that even possible?! He has like a 45ft tri-ax stock trailer behind it, makes the trip every week...

Pstroke96

Reaction score
the dt360 will have an sae #1 or #2 bellhousing bolt pattern on it, this allows you to use any medium or heavy duty transmission you want to pick from allison eaton fuller spicer or zf, granted most of your options will be greatly limited due to the physical size of the transmission, as for a transfer case you will most likley have to use a divorced case since very few medium or heavy duty trucks are four wheel drive

97F350

Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, almost all the DT360 have an SAE #2 pattern, I would like to stay with auto, I came across one guy who had a Spicer out of a 6x6 military vehicle that had OD but have not been able to find it again since coming across it back when, he liked it because it was quite a bit smaller than most of the other SAE #2 trans and didn't take as much work to get it in. I like the specs on some of the Eaton Fuller but I think you might be right and it would just be too big...

Pstroke96

Reaction score
The Eaton medium duty 5 and 6 speeds are very close in size to a zf5 you would find from the factory I'm one of these. In my opinion if you go a standard route avoid the spicers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

97F350

Reaction score
Well the torque ratio on a DT360 is 1:2.5 almost exactly so you are looking at 1750 torque, and 700 is pretty mild beyond stock for this engine really, followed one guy doing something similar to what I am planning and he wanted to hit 500, just doing the basics he was able to hit 800, these motors are good for up to about 1400hp/3500tq for sled pullers but I have no need for something that powerful being a daily driver. If I get anywhere between 450-700 that is plenty, I am used to about 250 so it will be a nice improvement lol! :redspotdance:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
If your not looking to run high rpm's, then all you really should need is pump mods and turbo. That's if you use a mechanical pump motor. Not 100% sure on injectors.

live life full throttle

97F350

Reaction score
You should want one ghohouston, they are like making a fummins, only better! Not to sound too fanboi-ish but I have researched a ton of these forums checking out a types of different combinations. I have two swaps planned, a 4BT into the farm truck, better fuel economy and rare towing, mostly flatbed hauling. And this one into the f350, after much discussion with several medium/heavy duty drivers (tow trucks and dump trucks) one major pro is an in truck rebuild plus the fact that it is a million mile motor and can withstand just about anything. Later if I wanted to retire the tow rig I can turn it into a toy and go pull some sleds. I understand the engine a lot better than I do transmissions, sadly, but I am working on that. Currently enrolled in the diesel tech program at the local community college, very excited about the trans class! By time I am done I will probably end up with pretty much a semi under a F350 skin but hopefully I wont let it get that bad :p

bad12jr

Reaction score
I'd run a built Allison 1000 6 speed. Simple standalone and a lot of aftermarket support for it. Plus it will fit easier.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

97F350

Reaction score
Can you get a built Allison similar to a BTS E40D? That was one of my other options, I like how the Allison 1000 bolts right up to it using an Allison 2000 SAE#2 Bellhousing.

bad12jr

Reaction score
I wouldn't see why not. There are quite a few high horse duramaxes with Allison's behind them. I'd look up a couple duramax shops and talk to them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

97F350

Reaction score
Yeah, I want to get my hands on a 93 or newer model 360, I guess that is when they got "upgraded" with some better parts. In theory you can stroke a 360 to be a 466, from my understanding they are the same block. Does mr.fancypants rebuild them himself or does he know of someone? I know I'd have to get an adapter plate but I can get a BTS for less than 5k installed and the shop is only a couple hours from me, I really don't want to spend THAT much on a trans though, thats like over half my goal budget right there...

97F350

Reaction score
Ugh, its just that price tag, I need those funds for all the "odds and ends", you think a BTS is better than a built Ally?

Latest posts

Members online