6.4L Excursion conversion

slowcoupe

Reaction score
Looking great! I may tackle a project like this when its time to grow my family. Ive always wished they' continued the excursions into later years.

Wayne

Reaction score
Well, I'll take a minute to do a bit of an update:

Back in '18, I did some sled pulling with it, and tried to hit an 11 in the 1/4 with a bunch of spray on stock injectors. I got kind of close, but it did some goofy shifting, redlined, and blew the trans. The engine had a tick ever since, until this February, when it went from "fine" to "needing a tow" pretty quick.

failed_engine.jpg

I ended up knowing I'd want to push it more, so I built a better engine this round; carrillo rods, fly cut, ceramic coated maxx force pistons, RCD stage 2 cam, Suncoast billet flexplate, ported, O ringed, and ceramic coated heads, Odawg intake manifold, 60% RCD nozzles, XP series industrial injection pump, my own custom 78 mm atmo, and 58 mm VGT, balanced rotating assy, ect. It had some fancy stuff before, but was limited by the stock rods, and I hated that I skipped the balancing. I guess it really doesn't matter since it all blew up anyway. At least I was able to transfer the push rods and valve springs.

ex_carrillos.jpg

ex_short_block.jpg

ex_heads.jpg

It's since made 1 nitrous track pass, after which, it got kicked off for not having a roll bar. That was on 2 .073 jets, and a weak launch for fear of breaking stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N00j5IP5rUY

Strokersace

Reaction score
Lol, I love that it’s your wife’s daily!

Engine internals look good. When I built my last 6.4 a few years ago, i wish I’d have done a few things different, but either way it all worked out for my application. If there is a “next time”, I will...

Wayne

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Also, I figured I'd mention I put it in the unlimited class for the dyno competition at weekend on the edge. The local 2000 hp dyno queens were all recently blown up, so I ended up swooping in, and won the unlimited class. Too bad they don't read torque. I uncorked the nitrous system, and shot it with oversize jets through 2 .120 rated solenoids, after purging. Seemed to work pretty well. The number is SAE corrected.
IMG_20190913_143644.jpg

IMG_20190913_084125.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

Sorry the dyno graph is crooked. I should've changed it.

Here's a current pic of it. I changed up the tires and wheels since I got bored of a set I've just about worn out between my old posts and now.
DSC0419.jpg

Connor M

Youtube Certified Master Technician
Reaction score
SUV's and six fours, my two favorite things.

Was looking for a 6.0 ex for my dad but with all the 6.4's I keep stumbling into this might be more fun

Latest posts