Broken Front Yoke After Launch

Kxc

Reaction score
It appears after maybe 10 4wd launches I finally broke a part. The front yoke cracked in 2 spots, gear oil everywhere. It snapped just before I let off the brake from a launch at about 2,000 RPM.

Anyone ever had this happen? Im not surprised really but I never read about anyone breaking parts with a similar set up. I could have the local dealer fix it, I have a pretty good relationship with them. If there is more damage than the yoke/seal thats most likely the route ill go. Hopefully the splines didnt get all facked up on the pinion.

Are there any stronger aftermarket yokes for a Dana 60 out there with maybe a bigger U-joint? Any vendors shoot me a PM.

Attachments

• IMG_6789.jpg
    IMG_6789.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 132

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Is your ujoint binding? When i worked in nd we saw this at the tcase quite a bit. The double cardan would start binding, and people would leave it in 4wd a lottle too long after the ice melted. It would break the snout right off the tcase and *** everything up.

Kxc

Reaction score
Is your ujoint binding? When i worked in nd we saw this at the tcase quite a bit. The double cardan would start binding, and people would leave it in 4wd a lottle too long after the ice melted. It would break the snout right off the tcase and *** everything up.

I don't think so but they are all not grease-able unfortunately. It seems to move freely now that the yoke is broken and there's play in there. I found a forged yoke supposed to be stronger than billet for 1350 U joint which I think is what's on the front of the front shaft ?

Hoping the splines are ok and plan on replacing the yoke. Anyone have any info on nut torque and preload ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
your truck lifted? Is the joint broken? It does look like there was contact on the yoke to the drive shaft might just be where the yoke broke though. The picture also makes it looks like the u-joint was touching the pinion. Yukon has some aftermarket yokes.

I would at least pull the cover and see what is going on in the diff. That amount of shock on the diff would have me worried. I would remove the carrier and have a look at the pinion support block, bearings, and teeth on the pinion as well. When you have the carrier out look for chips on the teeth. Check backlash before and after you remove the carrier. Backlash will be 6-10 thou. And the carrier caps will need to be torqued to 80 ft/lbs. Used pinion preload in going to be 8-10 inch pounds.

Kxc

Reaction score
your truck lifted? Is the joint broken? It does look like there was contact on the yoke to the drive shaft might just be where the yoke broke though. The picture also makes it looks like the u-joint was touching the pinion. Yukon has some aftermarket yokes.

I would at least pull the cover and see what is going on in the diff. That amount of shock on the diff would have me worried. I would remove the carrier and have a look at the pinion support block, bearings, and teeth on the pinion as well. When you have the carrier out look for chips on the teeth. Check backlash before and after you remove the carrier. Backlash will be 6-10 thou. And the carrier caps will need to be torqued to 80 ft/lbs. Used pinion preload in going to be 8-10 inch pounds.

Lifted 3.5". Joint is ok and it wasn't touching the pinion, no contact on the Driveshaft either. It's still under warranty so I may just go that route and have them put an aftermarket yoke in.

Thanks for the info.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
So what was the outcome? Did the dealership do a good inspection or just put a new yoke and seal in and call it good?

Kxc

Reaction score
They Said the splines were good , not sure how much u can see without taking the diff apart. They installed a new seal and yoke though under warranty and so far so good. Put some miles in 4WD this week.