New Ipr mabe it worse.

doubledoor

Reaction score
I am new to posting here. Normally do lots of reading and figure it out before I post. anywho after doing some tests I came up with my ipr needed replacing. ( longer than normal cranking) Even tried full fielding the ipr. did not make a difference. Only does this after sitting all night. yes the hpop res is full after sitting.
Truck idles and drives perfect with no issues or codes. So I buy a new ford ipr and install it.
Fire up the truck and it starts right away but it is running so rough. Like a big cam in it . lopeing away.
Run it for about 10 min no change icp pressure bouncing from 500-800psi. So I take it out and look at it. It all looks good and put it in and try it again and same prob. unplug the icp and no change. So I remove it and put in my old one and it fires up and runs smooth no prob. Any ideas why the new one is doing this??
Thanks in advance.

Here is the truck;
2002 XLT CC LB 6speed SRW
4"mbrp turbo back
S&B Intake
autometer NV boost,pyro,water temp and oil pressure
WW2,BRV
DP tunes - QI,60E,80E,40T,60T,100,120.
EBPV ****** sensor.
blank pedestal and EBPV housing
ATS turbo housing
DI up-pipes.
2007 headlights,2008 taillights,2010 tailgate
17"Atx ledge with Dick Cepek Extreme Country

Last edited:

rusty1161

Reaction score
You probably got air in the HPO system when you swapped that IPR, more the second time.

Drive it 50 miles or so to work the air out of the HPO system.

Also, check the harness. These trucks are getting old and oil/diesel leaks wreak havoc on the insulation. My IPR harness was shorting and causing a no start.

Rusty

doubledoor

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply Rusty,
That's what I thought. But when I put the old ipr back in it fired up and ran smooth as can be.
It was so rough I couldn't drive it.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
I have had a brand new IPR go bad within a couple hundred miles. I have also seen them be bad right out of the box. However, this may not be the issue with yours. Air is a funny thing in the HPO system of these engines. Sometimes you will swap injectors and it will start right up and run right away. Other times you change an IPR and it takes 2 weeks to get all the air out.

I would put the new IPR back in and let it run some. If it doesn't get any better in 50 miles, there is probably an issue with it.

doubledoor

Reaction score
Justin,
Thank you for the reply. It was so bad you could not drive it. It was shaking the **** out of the truck at 1500rpm. I did the hpop about 100,000km ago so I know what you mean by working the air out. It was so bad it was not possible.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Justin,
Thank you for the reply. It was so bad you could not drive it. It was shaking the **** out of the truck at 1500rpm. I did the hpop about 100,000km ago so I know what you mean by working the air out. It was so bad it was not possible.

No problem. If it runs that bad, I would try to go swap out the IPR for another new one. Should come with some kind of warranty.

doubledoor

Reaction score
Yes,
Put in the new ipr and truck fired right up. was a little rough for a min but took it for a drive and it is running good. (not like the first one I got)
Wife took the truck this morning after sitting all night and said it was still a little slow to fire. I am leaning towards the icp sensor. It has no oil in it but is the og one for the truck. There are no codes. The hpop has been replaced with a ford reman and makes good pressure. I can see on the scanner it is a little slow building icp pressure. Might get a couple caps and try dead heading the pump and see what happens. Have not tried unplugging the icp and doing a cold start yet with the new ipr in.
I can try that tomorrow.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
It probably simply still has some air in the system.

Yes...

It will have a longer crank until all the air gets worked out. It will normally get a little bit faster every time you start the truck. Usually within 50-100 miles it is back to normal.

Latest posts

Members online