01 f250 hard/no start when cold

Jrgoff

Reaction score
Finally deciding to work on my truck but before I start buying stuff what to see if I'm on the right track. It's a 01 7.3 with 275k miles, stock injectors, ts6 chip, 4in exhaust, wicked wheel, 6spd. If it's below like 50° I have to have it plugged in for it to start. If it does does start colder than that it runs very rough like it's only running on 4cyls then the rest will slowly come in and smooth out. But when I first take off it'll run like a raped ape and roll smoke but after that initial burst it goes back to pretty much stock feeling. Also there is almost no difference between 40hp to race on the tuner but can tell a difference from stock seeing but here recently if under 1800rpms it has more power on stock settings than turned up but once I get over that I can turn it up and feel a difference. Also when it's cold I can spray it with starting fluid and it'll run off it but then die, no white or black smoke but if it's plugged in our warm fires up pretty good. I'm fairly convinced my hpop is bad but seeing if anyone else has ideas on it. Thanks

mandkole

Reaction score
To start these engines, you must have 500+psi hpo, compression/cyl heat, good atomized fuel pressure injected on time. You must know you have that or not. I suspect you have significant HPO leakage, possibly compression/ glow plug system issues. You do not say what the age of the HPO system components are, but stocker injs, pumps etc are often wornout at 275k, so start there with a scanner, pressure gauges, dvm, and get into the troubleshooting.

Please share more detail and keep reading about how to check the systems.

Jrgoff

Reaction score
Last time I checked pressures was about 6 months ago but wot it was around 2300 but when I pushed the clutch to change gears it would spike to around 2700 but ain't checked it recently and as far as I know everything is original, I've put around 100k miles on it and it's slowly gotten worst since I've owned it.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
is this something that just started all of a sudden or has it been doing this worse and worse over the years?

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Don't remember the duty cycle or cranking pressures
you didn't answer my question but my 01 does this exact same thing.. im going with injectors being wore and sticking and when the oil gets warm enough they all start firing propper..

live life full throttle

Jrgoff

Reaction score
I've owned the truck 3 years and put around 100k miles on it and it's slowly gotten worst and worst

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
at 275k on the clock I am sure your injectors are the culprit. did it have all those basic mods on it when you bought it or did you do them yourself?

live life full throttle

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Check your glow plig relay as well, if it has one. I think 01 is where they changed to either a relay or module.

Jrgoff

Reaction score
The chip was on it when I bought it but I put the other stuff on it. I replaced the glow plug relay about a year ago maybe longer cause at first I was thinking it was something with my glow plugs going bad but it made no difference. Pretty sure my problem is fuel related either injectors or hpop. But what's stumping me is how it has tons of power when I first take off/tons of black smoke but after first time I get on it, it goes back to stock feeling/almost no smoke

Jrgoff

Reaction score
Also when it's cranking over when cold there's no smell of diesel out the exhaust, like it's not getting fuel, I've also replaced the icp but haven't touched the ipr

mandkole

Reaction score
You are at the place where some very specific troubleshooting needs to be done. I agree that your truck needs attention. Im sorry, but this thread so far is not progressing your knowledge because you are really not contributing to it. ;)

Performance confirmation needed;

Fuel pressure; need a gauge for the bowl

OBD scan; autoenginuity, scan gauge, phone app, etc. to do basic powerstroke performance tests during cranking, running. It will check all of the HPO pressure performance, etc. to see if its close and if there is enough to consistently start the engine.

Glow plug relay; need VOM; Measure power going across glow plug relay.

Glow plugs; VOM; Ohm out the glow plugs to confirm failures (I suspect some could be failed)

Start review/research for how you'll remove the valve covers. A variety of sockets, u joint adapter, extensions are highly recommended. Getting into under the valve covers for the first time is a pretty big job.

Where do you live? You appear as if you may not want to get into this and that is ok--I get it. There is a considerable investment of time and some money in getting familiar with how these engines work. There are good shops around and maybe someone can assist there if you're not ready to have the truck down for a few days while you begin your learning.

Just trying to keep it real here. We want to help you get the truck fixed.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Check your glow plig relay as well, if it has one. I think 01 is where they changed to either a relay or module.
I think the change was mid 02.. my brothers old 2002 7.3 had a relay still..

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
You are at the place where some very specific troubleshooting needs to be done. I agree that your truck needs attention. Im sorry, but this thread so far is not progressing your knowledge because you are really not contributing to it. ;)

Performance confirmation needed;

Fuel pressure; need a gauge for the bowl

OBD scan; autoenginuity, scan gauge, phone app, etc. to do basic powerstroke performance tests during cranking, running. It will check all of the HPO pressure performance, etc. to see if its close and if there is enough to consistently start the engine.

Glow plug relay; need VOM; Measure power going across glow plug relay.

Glow plugs; VOM; Ohm out the glow plugs to confirm failures (I suspect some could be failed)

Start review/research for how you'll remove the valve covers. A variety of sockets, u joint adapter, extensions are highly recommended. Getting into under the valve covers for the first time is a pretty big job.

Where do you live? You appear as if you may not want to get into this and that is ok--I get it. There is a considerable investment of time and some money in getting familiar with how these engines work. There are good shops around and maybe someone can assist there if you're not ready to have the truck down for a few days while you begin your learning.

Just trying to keep it real here. We want to help you get the truck fixed.
spot on!!!! good post!

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online