Head Gaskets

greyford1979

Reaction score
Also I've checked on recommended install height on the comp cam valve springs, but found different answers. I have a KC38R and PIS 160/30 injectors. What would ya'll recommend?

greyford1979

Reaction score
910's should do fine

Yeah that's what most told me, just needed to know what install height I should go with on them. I saw between 1.750"-1.760" with the seal and 1.800"=1.810" without the seal to get between 130-134lbs seat pressure in one thread. This too much for what I have, or right about where I need to be? Or less than that?

greyford1979

Reaction score
Well while the heads are at the machine shop, I went ahead and got the oil cooler off. What a messy job that is lol. I probably could've just done he o'rings, the cooler itself looks in great shape, just some leaking from the o'rings. But since I got the new one, it'll be going in.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Well while the heads are at the machine shop, I went ahead and got the oil cooler off. What a messy job that is lol. I probably could've just done he o'rings, the cooler itself looks in great shape, just some leaking from the o'rings. But since I got the new one, it'll be going in.
yeah, the cooler itself usually holds up pretty good. oem orings on the other hand, not so much!

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

greyford1979

Reaction score
yeah, the cooler itself usually holds up pretty good. oem orings on the other hand, not so much!

live life full throttle

I just didn't think with that many miles on it that the cooler would look that good lol.

While waiting for the heads, I decided to clean up some things as well like the valve covers and intake plenums, which after I got done cleaning off the ford RTV I thought I should've just bought new. Also started sanding the intercooler pipes to repaint them. While I was degreasing and wiping down the driver's side one, I noticed a hole in it :doh:. Time for a new one LOL.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I just didn't think with that many miles on it that the cooler would look that good lol.

While waiting for the heads, I decided to clean up some things as well like the valve covers and intake plenums, which after I got done cleaning off the ford RTV I thought I should've just bought new. Also started sanding the intercooler pipes to repaint them. While I was degreasing and wiping down the driver's side one, I noticed a hole in it :doh:. Time for a new one LOL.

new oem are cheap. im digging the riffraff style with oring seal and the other kits made for them are crush proof too.. yeah, I'd say its time for new pipes

live life full throttle

greyford1979

Reaction score
Well, nothing has been done to the heads yet. Guy at the machine shop told me today they probably won't be able to do them, wish he would've told me that before we took them down to him. Time to call someone else. Running out of machine shops in the area lol. Already talked to quite a few that said they can't do them.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Well, nothing has been done to the heads yet. Guy at the machine shop told me today they probably won't be able to do them, wish he would've told me that before we took them down to him. Time to call someone else. Running out of machine shops in the area lol. Already talked to quite a few that said they can't do them.
what needs to be done and where are you located?

live life full throttle

greyford1979

Reaction score
I don't even know what needs to be done yet, they didn't even look at them. I'm in northeast Ohio. An insurance adjuster we deal with at work gave me the name of a machine shop he uses for his 6.0, gonna give them a call today.

Bobs 7.3

Reaction score
if you puked coolant you could just have an air pocket stuck and that will also give no heat threw the heater when hot if the system wasn't purged and filled slowly. I like to pull the hose off the waterpump and fill slowly with the truck pointing up hill as all the air wil be purged to the front of the engine and out the top radiator hose and heater core hose as an escape route. then as collant starts coming out the heater core hose ill hook it up and keep filling till it comes out the top radiator hose then hook that up and top off. never get an air pocket that way.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Well, still waiting on the heads :doh:. At this rate I should've just paid the extra couple hundo and got the heads from the dealer. At least the truck would be back on the road by now.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Finally got the heads back today. Guy at the machine shop said they looked pretty good for 299,000 miles. Still had a valve job done though and also had them install my valve springs instead of stock new ones. Got the exhaust manifolds, intake plenums, and all the misc fittings on, except for 2 of the banjo bolts that I forgot I needed orings for :doh:. Hopefully one of my local Ford dealers have them in stock. Don't feel like doing the rear one after the head is on the truck lol. Thought I had bought all the orings I was gonna need. Still gotta get the new orings on the injectors as well. Should've done that while I was waiting on the heads lol.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Well, I guess I'll get one head back on this weekend. Dropped the one gasket, and when I went to grab it, it got caught on something and tore :fustrate:.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Where did the gasket give away at?

I'm with you, I don't see anything that'll hint towards a blown HG.

The cylinder had that had the bent pushrod, did the valve bend? Any time a valve contacts a piston, valve bends.

Any pics of the heads when you pulled them? I would go over the injector cups very carefully. Did the machine shop pressure test the heads?

Hate to hear after you have everything together, that the issue is still there.

Billy T.
[email protected]

greyford1979

Reaction score
I'm with you, I don't see anything that'll hint towards a blown HG.

The cylinder had that had the bent pushrod, did the valve bend? Any time a valve contacts a piston, valve bends.

Any pics of the heads when you pulled them? I would go over the injector cups very carefully. Did the machine shop pressure test the heads?

Hate to hear after you have everything together, that the issue is still there.

Billy T.
[email protected]

It blew towards the front of the head, it wasn't big, but it literally looked like a cutout of a river lol. You could actually see where the coolant was running down from the top of the block down into the cylinder.

The machine shop did the works. Magnafluxed, pressure tested multiple times, replaced all valves. Cleaned, resurfaced. They said heads weren't bad at all. Just normal valve wear, but nothing bent.

Just keeping my fingers crossed that's all it was, and no pin hole in the cylinder wall lol.

Members online

No members online now.