Some stock style "66" turbo testing I did...long

rusty1161

Reaction score
Time is tight, only 45 minutes to work on it today. Here is a pic of the firewall insulation removed for downpipe clearance. I still have to use my freshly repaired duckbill for my portapower to make more room, I am also going to try loosening the motor and trans mounts to squeeze a little more room.

image.jpg1_zpspikrdsbo.jpg

Rusty

rusty1161

Reaction score
I ended up trying something different on the firewall, the screw jack from my beater Civic. That screw jack is the real deal. It has worked a lot better than my duckbill on the portapower. This evening I removed the downpipe, turbo and up pipes; pushed on the firewall; reinstalled everything; removed everything; pushed some more; reinstalled everything and need to remove everything one last time for one or two last "adjustments" and I should be good. All of that will happen Sunday when I "should" have a solid 8 hours to put into the truck.

Rusty

rusty1161

Reaction score

KYpatriot

Reaction score
Hey Billy T are you happy with your injector set? I am looking to do a tow setup like yours and was wondering if you are happy with the injector choice. I have an intercooler and 4.10 with the zf5 so i am set up slightly different. I dropped in the brute66 with new bellowed uppipes prolly shpukd have researched more and went with your turbo. Anyway, i was worried about egt but i think nozzle size helps with that?

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Yes, happy with the injectors and turbo (BASB).

Get ahold of Jeremiah as he has a zf5.

Tuning has a lot to do with EGTs coupled with nozzle size.

BTW: how is the Brute working for you? Curious to know as you have 4.10s.

Billy T.
[email protected]

KYpatriot

Reaction score
Well i dont have a tranny jack so i took it to a shop to have a new clutch and new input shaft put in, think the pilot bearing was going out. So i havent towed with it yet. My trailer is a heavy 4 horse so we will see. So far, driving empty, the turbo seems like stock, at least it isnt spooling slower, the 1.0 housing must have helped with that, so it has to be moving more air. But, I cant tell if it is really cleaning up smoke much on the hotter tunes, my tunes seem like they arent right so im having it live tuned down at dynoproven soon as i can get down there.

It is hard to load up the engine when the truck is empty/ not towing. It accelerates so fast i woukd need a really steep hill unloaded. I actually just did some math and in direct drive (4th gear) i get 1950-2000 rpm at 45 mph so that woukd actually indicate 4.30 gears with 33 inch tires so maybe that is why my truck pulls so hard. It will jump when i get on it and it still has stock injectors. In 5 th gear i get 2400rpm at 70 mph, which is about as fast as i like to go. I tow at 65 mph. A gear vendor in this truck would be awesome and the best of both worlds but at $3k they are pricey.
The brute66 seems to jump off at about 2000 to 2100rpm. About 6lb cruising at 70mph, rises quickly if i step on it, but So far im only seeing 18-20 lb of boost if i take it to 3000 rpm, but like i said im hoping it will be more under load. Seems like it should have more boost than that even with stock injectors. All boots and uppipes are new so i dont know why it isnt more.
I am anxious to see how it does when i tow, hopefully it will work. I am planning on maybe going with 160/30s or so but i dont want a bunch of black smoke. I was hoping the brute would be able to clean it up but since i will be under 2000 rpm a lot with the 5 speed now im not so sure it was a good choice. Will report on it when i tow, but was surprised to see i am still getting some smoke in the 80 hp tune with the brute...seems like it should completely clean that up but i am new to this. I dont know maybe my injectors arent stock but i am pretty sure they are. I cannot get it over 1000 on the pyro with the 80 hp tune now that the intercooler is on so that implies stock injectors to me.
Sorry for the long read i will know more once i get a live tune and some towing time when i get the truck back in a couple days.

Last edited:

rusty1161

Reaction score
Rusty....did you ever finish the install?

Oh BTW - the OBS kit now comes with a DP
http://www.powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61553

Billy T.
[email protected]

Jake took great care of me. My truck has been down since mid January with this install. I received my new down pipe on Friday and I installed it tonight. It fits darn well with the massaging that I already did and makes connecting to an existing exhaust system very straight forward. I managed to button up 75% of the rest of the stuff that I waited on the down pipe for. With work and chasing kids the rest of this week, I should have this thing back on the road Saturday.

image_zpsodaocfcs.jpg

Rusty

Last edited:

rusty1161

Reaction score
I finished it up tonight and took it for a 10 mile shakedown run. No oil leaks so far and I don't think there are any boost leaks.

Boy I missed driving this truck. And now with this T4/366 setup, it is an even bigger blast to drive. It pulls stronger in the lower RPM's and EGT's are down 100-150* across the board.

Here are a couple of bad pics of how the new Irate downpipe connected to my existing MBRP exhaust. I will get some better pics in the next couple of days.

Rusty

image.jpg2_zps9ga7izeu.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsbryyvoqo.jpg

Last edited:

MeTo

Reaction score
Watching what, a return from the dead? This is zomby retro ch*t. It's a good read on a cold rainy day in Scony.

Members online

No members online now.