No start 92 7.3IDI

lorendiesel6.4

Reaction score
92 7.3 5speed sat for 6 months started and ran fine for 100 miles or so. Did the return lines and washers on the drivers side injectors. Ran fine. Did the same on the passengers side and it wouldn't start. My roommate bought it from the guy at this point. We put an electric lift pump off a 24valve Dodge on it cause we thought the mechanical one was shot. No fuel out of the injector lines right at the pump, just a little bubbling, sooo we assumed bad injection pump. Replaced the pump with a used inj pump off a buddys part truck that hasn't ran in a couple years. Still nothing but a couple bubbles. Any thing we missed? It has us both really stumped and I'd really like to get this thing out of my front yard. LoL

Fordguy100

Reaction score
These IP's cant really take much more than 7-8psi of fuel pressure, I think those VP44 electric pumps put out 10-20psi. Thats not causing the problem, but it will cause problems down the road.

Is the IP "clicking" when you turn the key? There is a fuel shut off valve on the top of the IP, run a hot wire to it and see if it clicks. That will rule that out. If it doesnt, I would suspect the ignition switch as both pumps havent worked.

Turn the key on, you should hear an audible click, but you have to be careful because the glow plug relay will do the same.

lorendiesel6.4

Reaction score
I turned the key on, then went under the hood and pulled the wire off. Its definitely clicking. Is there any way it can come unhooked inside the pump? What has me puzzled is that this all started after doing right side only injector washers. It ran fine after doing the left side.

Fordguy100

Reaction score
With the key turned on for the electric fuel pump, check to see if fuel will come out of the shraeder valve on the top of the fuel filter housing. If it has fuel there, the IP should be getting fuel.

Fordguy100

Reaction score
If there isnt a shraeder valve, just crack the line that goes from the filter housing to the IP, fuel should come out with fury if your electric pump is good. If you have fuel to the IP, and its not getting past the IP, its either the fuel shut off valve (the thing you already checked with the "click") or the IP itself is bad).

Are you cracking all the lines, and cranking it?

lorendiesel6.4

Reaction score
I have the Epump feeding directly into the IP and I have fuel there but none comes out of the lines on the back of the IP while cranking. It just foams a little bit. Is there anyway that solenoid can be clicking without actually working? Also should fuel come out of the brass elbow on top of the IP that is tied into the drivers side injector returns?

lorendiesel6.4

Reaction score
Do these thangs need oil pressure to run? Some ol local boy was telling me the idi's have hydraulic lifters. That would explain not running on ether and most everything else.

Redpower

Reaction score
You might want to check out the oilburners forum. I know there is a ton of guys that know a lot about those old IDIs.

Latest posts

Members online