Coil Spring Swap?

Dirtclod

Reaction score
It's time for my 01 cc/sb 4x4 for a front end rebuild. Hub assemblies,ball joints,steering is sloppy,rotors&pads bushings& I joints. That's going to be a lot of $. I've looked into swapping a coil spring front assembly. That's also going to be a lot of $. I've also saw where guys have done a coil over but still need everything else. What are the chances of getting a whole assembly and not having to change everything. And in order to do a lift I won't need some of the parts that come with it. For those of you that have done this swap,what was your experience with it? How expensive was it? And was it worth it?

Dirtclod

Reaction score
There's plenty of info on this subject and I've found an 05 front assembly for 600$. Now to find a shop to do it. Anyone know someone anywhere near Lima Ohio that does this kind of work?

co04cobra

Reaction score
I can do the swap, but it's not going to be cheaper then fixing your current leaf spring front housing.

If it's something you want done long term then it's probably worth the extra money. You can PM with ?s or a price quote.

psduser1

Reaction score
It would be less expensive to fix what you have.
May end up putting a bunch of the same parts into a newer style axle. Course ride quality is a bonus.

Jomax

Reaction score
I can do the swap, but it's not going to be cheaper then fixing your current leaf spring front housing.

If it's something you want done long term then it's probably worth the extra money. You can PM with ?s or a price quote.

Can you pm me what you would charge a guy to do the swap? I've had guys ask, and never had an answer on a rough price. I always did them myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scparrish

Reaction score
Doing the swap was worth it to me. It rides better, turns sharper, and stops better than it did with my oem equipment.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
What's the difference in the swap other than coil springs and radio is arms? Are the hubs different? U joint knuckles? Ball joints? Do these parts last longer and better quality?

Jomax

Reaction score
What's the difference in the swap other than coil springs and radio is arms? Are the hubs different? U joint knuckles? Ball joints? Do these parts last longer and better quality?
Everything is beefier, brakes last longer, brakes better, etc

Sent from my SM-P605V using Tapatalk

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Ok guys anybody know what's needed for this? A local performance shop has boil over 4 link 6" lift kits. For 99-04 the kit is over 5k,05 and up just over 2k. The kit comes with all the hardware,coil over shocks. If I bought an 05 Dana 60 axle,hubs rotor etc.... What else would be needed?

scparrish

Reaction score
Coil buckets, radius arm mounts, sway bar, brake line modification, track bar bracket and bar, reamer to modify pitman arm, and several nuts, bolts, and washers.

co04cobra

Reaction score
In a nutshell. A ton of little parts that are hard to source without having a parts truck.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
The radius arms are replaced with 4(2for each side) the coil over air shocks are also provided plus the mounting bar for coil over shocks. Also it comes with a different mount for the provided radius arms.im pretty sure the sway bar is also provided but not for sure. Track bar bracket and bar is also provided. That leaves brake line mod with various nuts and bolts. Of course I'll have to find a nice 05 up 373 Dana 60. And a new steering box. I would think a 4 link coil over suspension would be better than a stock setup. And sounds like the price overall is not going to be much different.

uncool

Reaction score
I just got done with a 2000 to 2006 suspension swap. If you have the time it is worth it. It is not a difficult task. Other than the cost of the front end, I have spent about 200 in bolts and a reamer. All the parts bolt on. You do have to drill a few new holes and enlarge a few more. I got a great deal on some parts from the members of this site so now it is sitting on Icon 4.5 springs and hopefully the shocks show up tomorrow. I used all factory parts. Let me know if I can be of any more help.

scparrish

Reaction score
You don't have to swap the steering box unless you really want to but it's not necessary. I used a rolling parts frame, big help.

sootie

Reaction score
nothing besides axle. the sway bar links come out perpendicular to each other.

Latest posts

Members online