Honey Badger Jr

gnxtc2

Reaction score
I've kept this on the low side but enough is enough.....

When I pulled my motor to do an oil pan about four years ago, I swapped in a Honey Badger Jr. (HB Jr. #1) Dropped the motor back in and start it up. The plug that faces down by the IPR valve was leaking oil. I pull the HPOP and I see this.....I thought the HB Jr was tested prior to being sent out???

IMG_20140124_185112_288_zpsdlfux5gr.jpg

I get sent another HB Jr. Install that one. About a year later, I was speaking with Jonathan at DynoProven on a unrelated topic. The subject of the HB Jr came up and says that he needs the pump back. He tells me that he needs the pump back because there were revisions made to my current one. So I send the HB Jr (#2) back.

Install HB Jr #3. I also get sent a rebuilt IPR valve that needs to be installed. Install the HPOP and the IPR valve. Everything is fine until I get on it and stay in it. In economy tune (DynoProven tunes), if I stay in it, I get P1211 and go into limp mode. Plus, after the motor gets to operating temp, the idle gets choppy. Try to get a hold of Jonathan...MIA. I keep driving the truck and avoid getting the truck and deal with the choppy idle.

Fast forward to about a month ago. The water pump gasket is leaking on my motor. I just happen to look in the valley and see a puddle of oil under the HB Jr #3. The oil is leaking from the rear cover on the pump. I call DP and leave a message about the HB Jr. Thinking that the HB Jr is one of their products, I would get a call back......nope, no call back. I waited a week for a call back...nothing. Plus, after this post, the no call back sealed DP fate with me. http://www.powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73942

I order another HPOP from another company. The HPOP is almost 1/2 the price less than the HB Jr. I ask if said company would repair the HB Jr. and they send it in and we'll try.

After the HB Jr was repaired, this is report I got back...the HB Jr is almost the same copy as the Adrenaline. The SRP plate is a copy of the Adrenaline. The discharge ports are oversized just like the Stealth pump. The plate lock was also copied. The rear spiral lock for the rear cover was the wrong size...no wonder the rear cover was leaking.

I'm not a HPOP guru but after going through three HB Jr's and the non-existance of DP customer service, I had to move on. So for you HB Jr owners, check your pumps.

Oh, want to add, I made some phone calls about the HB Jr and others had the same experience about the pump but never posted anything.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

psdguy95

Reaction score
I too have had a bad experience with them as far as tuning goes. They are impossible to get ahold of. It's a shame because I wanted to use there pump but after the experience I had with and and after seeing this I won't go back.

TyCorr

Reaction score
My tunes were ok...i got them in august. Took a month or two. I never went any farther with hpops because i didnt wanna send them in and never hear back.

superpsd

Reaction score
First I heard of a Dyno proven hpop failure. Not to say there is more. Thanks for sharing. Not one issue with my SR which is basically a repaired SRP.

Reaction score
I already posted this 3 years ago to deaf ears at the time because the HBJR was the "hottest" thing on the market. They took an adrenaline and stealth and copied parts from each. Exact COPYS. Ridiculous if you ask me if much rather spend my money with the companies that actually put in the R&D.
BTW the the SR pump is nothing more than a SRP pump with the piston flaw addressed. You can't even get a SR pump without sending in a SRP pump...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

powerjoke73

Reaction score
DP is supposed to be putting my entire build together tuning etc. Truck and parts are sitting at there garage in Georgia. Interested to see how it all turns out now.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
There is a member on here is done with DP. Same experiences with the jr pumps and motor build.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Another reason I only buy OEM parts. I don't have time to deal with crap like this.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
As far as "Copying" goes.... there's really only so much you can do to a hpop for more volumetric output. So yes it will be a copy for the most part from one brand name to another.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Just figured I'd chime in, my T500 constantly pops the 1211 code when it;s cold, it generally stops once it up to temp tho. Never had any Limp Mode issues however. ~ 2 years on the T500.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
I contribute the P1211 to tuning.

I just put in Tyrant's (Cale) tunes....idles smoother, trans shifts much better, truck drives soo better all round. I haven't gotten on the truck as it's in the low 30s here and like to warm up a little more better jumping on it.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

fastersteve

Reaction score
First I heard of a Dyno proven hpop failure. Not to say there is more. Thanks for sharing. Not one issue with my SR which is basically a repaired SRP.

Any performance difference from the SRP? My SRP has 70k on it, wondering if I should leave it alone or not...

ja_cain

Reaction score
I should get with Mike and get vendor status here. ;)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

After buying my SRP and talking to KC at DP, I am not liking this thread. Lol! Cory, how about I send you my SRP pump and have you go through it. Do you think you could do anything with it? I don't really need it and really just bought it to better understand the inner workings of modified pumps.

Latest posts

Members online