ZF5 Interchange on 96 F 450

Alltow215

Reaction score
Ok guys so I have 1996 F Super Duty 450. It is a flat bed tow truck with a manual zf5 s 47 with the transmission mounted parking brake. My transmission threw something in 3rd and the case is cracked now. It sucks because I just put it in.

I cant find a zf with the trans mounted brake anywhere in my area (Phila PA). I don't want to go through the trouble of having a rrebuild shipped out as this is what I just did 10k miles ago.

I know it will be much easier to find the zf 42 or 47 w/o the parking brake. Is it possible to buy that trans and put the parking brake on there? The back portion of my case by the parking brake is cracked. I don't know if that will come into play. If anyone has links to the procedure or can help me I would really appreciate it.

Is it a bad idea to use the s42 for the towing application?

Also I have a Chelsea PTO on the drivers side. Do all ZF 5s come with the port for that.

Also if anyone in the PA NJ DE MD area has a trans I could come pick it up.

Thanks,

Ed

TjMiller

Reaction score
Im not sure on the zf5 2wd parking brake setup but there is a picture in the link that shows the 2 different tail housings (which is also a different output shaft) between the 4wd and 2wd trans.
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...4-zf-5-speed-converting-2wd-4x4-possible.html

Going off the 4r100 auto trans, I know the 2wd version with the trans mounted parking brake uses the 4wd tail and output shaft.
Long story short - Maybe find a 4wd zf5 and swap your trans brake on.

Alltow215

Reaction score
Thanks TJ. Anyone else know if A 4wd trans would be compatable and if they made them in the zf5s47 (heavier zf5)?

Last edited:

Alltow215

Reaction score
I'm trying to get an idea of what to Do here from reading online. People are saying the output shaft is the same.

So could I get a 4x4 trans and remove the transfer case and mount the parking brake on the bAck?

Did the 4x4 trans come in the s47

79jasper

Reaction score
You can infact use any 4x4 trans from behind a 7.3. So 1988-1997
Yes, the brake will bolt right on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Alltow215

Reaction score
I am having trouble finding an s47 . Will 42 suffice on my rlback tow truck? Also will the pto bolt up the same?

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I have a ZF6 2wd here if your interested. Came out of a 450 but doesn't have the parking brake on it. I do have a 4r100 with it though. Wonder if it can be swapped??

Let me know if your interested in any of it.

Latest posts

Members online