7.3 smoke issues

ju015dd

Reaction score
Been having a weird smoke issue lately. Started a month or so ago and is quit random but appears to be doing it more often lately but not every time. When I start truck in the morning, (cold engine) but outside temp can vary. Truck starts right up and after 20 seconds or so will start smoking a blueish gray enough to fog out the area around truck. Once I get down the road 1/4 mile or so it disappears. I have had it do it a couple of times where we have run truck up to temp, shut it down for approx. 45 to an hour and when I started back up would do the same. Smoke till you get down the rd a bit. But once it stops there is no more smoke at idle period. Oil has around 400 miles on it (8800 le) and proper level. Coolant is perfect. No oil coming out the exhaust far as I can tell, I have not pulled the down pipe as of yet. Fuel pressure always sits at 62psi. Truck runs and idles like butter! New glow plugs a few months ago but since it has done this with weather in the 80's or 30's should be irrelevant. Could I have a leaky injector that only is doing it's thing every now and then. Cause it doesn't do this everyday.

psduser1

Reaction score
If it's got 270k, I'd guess valve guides/seals. Maybe oil rings a bit sticky, also?
Not sure how hard you run it.
How long have you run Jim's oil? I have seen good oil clean out an older engine, and once everything is cleaned up, leaks appear, lol.

ju015dd

Reaction score
If it's got 270k, I'd guess valve guides/seals. Maybe oil rings a bit sticky, also?
Not sure how hard you run it.
How long have you run Jim's oil? I have seen good oil clean out an older engine, and once everything is cleaned up, leaks appear, lol.

I baby her for the most part. And thus is my second interval of jim's oil. The first batch put 5k on it and I might have had this issue pop up once. But only 400 miles on the change and coming up more often. I was curious if something was just being cleaned out but I am never that lucky. Lol

psduser1

Reaction score
Don't sweat the injectors, or the miles.
I'd say get it good and hot a few times. Anything over 200k, and it's approaching the service life interval, plain and simple. Not saying you can't get a lot more use out of it, for sure, but these do wear. No matter how much air and fuel gets stuffed in, the wear is there.
I know guys with 4-5-600k on their setups. They work. Not saying the setups are perfect, but they do the job.
Once the engine is "hot", and the smoke clears up, just be prepared that you may have to do more than a bandaid to keep it perfect.
At 400 psi compression, I'd tolerate some smoke, but maybe a set of refreshed heads could help if you didn't want to do a complete rebuild?
Just reread your dog, lol, now I see the "207k".

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
is the ccv line still in the intake? pop the down pipe off and take a peek..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

ju015dd

Reaction score
is the ccv line still in the intake? pop the down pipe off and take a peek..

live life full throttle

Yes ccv is stock. And plan on taking a peek at the down pipe soon. Just no sign of oil out the tail pipe or anywhere else.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Yes ccv is stock. And plan on taking a peek at the down pipe soon. Just no sign of oil out the tail pipe or anywhere else.
wont make it to the tail pipe unless it blows the seal completely

live life full throttle

mandkole

Reaction score
Cold smoke doesn't get me excited anymore unless its some unusual amount or rough running comes with it. If its increasing regularity with cold oil, could be a stem /guide leak. Could be leaking/slow injectors-- you can also do some quick checks for HPO leakage. x3 on checking the downpipe. Do you keep track of it with a scan gauge? if so, any change there (increased DC, etc)

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
might take ccv doghouse off and make sure it isn't plugged too!

live life full throttle

ju015dd

Reaction score
Cold smoke doesn't get me excited anymore unless its some unusual amount or rough running comes with it. If its increasing regularity with cold oil, could be a stem /guide leak. Could be leaking/slow injectors-- you can also do some quick checks for HPO leakage. x3 on checking the downpipe. Do you keep track of it with a scan gauge? if so, any change there (increased DC, etc)

Well usually it doesn't but this is abnormal amount for what I have had happening. Oil system appears to be stable as far as what ae has told me and I plan on checking to dp sooner than later. Just hoping it is not a leaky injector.