Need Help ASAP...Axle Swap Question

doctorsmack03

Reaction score
Ok, I have a 2012 f250 4wd cclb srw with the 6.7. I broke my rear axle today towing home the 5th wheel. So I need to find one asap to swap in. Coincidentally, I was not impressed with the 3.31 gears in the truck and had planned to one day upgrade to 3.73 for my 37's. It just so happened one day has become today.

1. Question is, can I swap in any srw 2012 axle with the 3.73 from a 6.2L gasser? I do not have the Electric locker so I'm assuming I don't want to buy one with the electric locker. Luckily a local junkyard has one with 50k on it.

2. I need the truck running tomorrow night, can I swap the 3.73 in and keep it in 2wd for a week or so until I can get the front gears redone in 3.73? I just don't know how electronic these things are.

Thanks

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
I am not 100% sure on the direct swap, but I would say it should fit fine. Could be wrong though. Just don't run it in 4x4 with mismatched gears. What did you break on it? Are parts readily available?

doctorsmack03

Reaction score
The caliper mount on the passenger side sheared off when the tire and wheel decided to make a right turn without me. Long story short, i don't know what exactly caused all of this, but the studs sheared off, the wheel beat the heck out of the caliper and rotor briefly and then just flew away. The caliper busted off with the bolts still in it. It could probably be welded, but that's a little too adventurous for me. I need a caliper, brakeline, rotor, etc to go along with the busted caliper mounts.

doctorsmack03

Reaction score
Yep. The only thing that could have been worse was if it was a driver side tire that went to oncoming traffic and through a windshield. But, yeah, 6 hours on the side of a busy 2 lane road thinking of how much money this will cost me was horrible. Plus, have you ever tried to find someone that can move a 5th wheel for you? 30 calls later I finally found someone. We have only been in Georgia for 6 months and I don't know anybody that has a 5th wheel yet. Lots of gooseneck guys, just no fivers. I even called the guy that bought my old truck on Tuesday to see it he knew anyone. He called back and offered to go an hour south, pick up a friends truck and help me out. I couldn't accept that big of a favor, but it's nice to know some people are nice out there. Eventually I found a wrecker with a fifth wheel followed by a flatbed.

16PS250

Reaction score
I did not read everything so this might have been covered. Your wheels are hub centric from Ford which means the wheel rides on the hub, if you have aftermarket wheels they HAVE TO BE hub centric. Other vehicles the wheel rides on the studs (lug-centric) but many truck are hub centric not lug-centric. Running lug-centric wheels (aftermarket) can cause this. Since its a tow vehicle you need the support of the hub / axle to support the weight because the lugs are not strong enough.

I'm going out on a limb here but you were towing running lug-centric wheels. The weight of the camper snapped the lugs and the wheel went by by. When the axle hit the ground it broke. IMO Hope it works out dont forget if you are 4x4 you have to change the front gearing also not just the back.

Edit: loose lugs can cause this also. Probably want to check all of them.

Last edited:

PDT1081

Reaction score
Ok, I have a 2012 f250 4wd cclb srw with the 6.7. I broke my rear axle today towing home the 5th wheel. So I need to find one asap to swap in. Coincidentally, I was not impressed with the 3.31 gears in the truck and had planned to one day upgrade to 3.73 for my 37's. It just so happened one day has become today.

1. Question is, can I swap in any srw 2012 axle with the 3.73 from a 6.2L gasser? I do not have the Electric locker so I'm assuming I don't want to buy one with the electric locker. Luckily a local junkyard has one with 50k on it.

2. I need the truck running tomorrow night, can I swap the 3.73 in and keep it in 2wd for a week or so until I can get the front gears redone in 3.73? I just don't know how electronic these things are.

Thanks

I know on a 99 the U-Joint yoke is different between gas and diesel. Everything else was a direct swap (I was able to swap yokes). I can't say for sure on the newer trucks.

doctorsmack03

Reaction score
Yeah, the wheels were on there when I got it, but I don't know if they are lug centric or not. I would assume not though based on them being American racing wheels. I had planned on replacing the tires, wheels, etc. So now I need to find some local factory takeoffs until I decide on a tire and wheel combo I like.

16PS250

Reaction score
You can easily check this by putting the wheel on and see if it fits flushly on the hub. Some people do not know about this, also you want a wheel that is rated to handle the weight rating of the truck. I'm glad no one was hurt but that could have been bad I think you got a pass I would not drive with those wheels again fixed or not.

doctorsmack03

Reaction score
I totally agree. The 'worst' situations in life can always be worse. I'm working on getting the old axle out now. I'm hoping that the axle from the junkyard is in good shape so I can keep this quick and easy.

Latest posts

Members online