180/100 smoke issue, tuning or need more air

Dscrant

Reaction score
I have another question that I can't find much info on. Recently fixed a crazy short causing fried IDM's (2 to be exact). Now that I finally got to drive her, I'm getting quiet a bit of smoke on my FFD 180/100 single shots.

Is this something I have to live with for full potential from these. I have 6 custom tunes ECO, TOW, DAILY, HOT, EXTREME, and DRAG. Even on ECO 1/2 to 3/4 throttle she's noticeably smokey (not just hazy)

Current upgrades GTP38R, 4" Turbo back, 6637, HPO X-over, Regulated return set to 65ish

On any tune past 3/4 throttle, it's a blackout behind me

Dscrant

Reaction score
Ok, just finished checking. No boost leaks that I could see. All clamps are tight and boots intake, plenums look good too.

I figured that turbo would be sufficient for those injectors.

Tunes are still being adjusted. In constant contact with the tuner.
Is it possible I need to adjust the wastegate? I got the full package from Full Force Diesel, stage 2

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Yes the Wastegate could be preset too low. Quick test will be to pop off the red line and go drive. See if it's better. You have the stock one? Prob need to tighten it up a few turns.

Boost gauge? What are you producing

wildbill963258

Reaction score
Yes the Wastegate could be preset too low. Quick test will be to pop off the red line and go drive. See if it's better. You have the stock one? Prob need to tighten it up a few turns.

Boost gauge? What are you producing

I agree I forget about the wastegate because I've always had non waste gated 7.3's but yes the waste gate could be set to low. I would check that as well because that's free and easy lol

Zeb

Reaction score
A visual check for boost leaks is virtually useless. You’re going to need to pressure check the system (10-20 psi) and listen/soap check for leaks.

Dscrant

Reaction score
Yup, I'll use some snoop leak check after work. I'm getting a temp gauge setup because I haven't decided a direction for permanent gauges yet. I'll post an update after work

Swaan

Reaction score
Pressure test charge air system first. If all good just unhook the red line for wastegate and see if that clears up the smoke. If it does then wastegate needs adjusting.

How much boost are you seeing wot right now? What's your egts wot??

jbolen323

Reaction score
honestly you are always going to have smoke and egt issues with those injectors, we really try to not even push those anymore. I ran them for 3 years with drop ins and full t4 setups and never could overcome it. Getting a improved turbo will help some, but ideally changing injectors is going to be the best option. Going with a kc300x 63/73 turbo would beneficial as well to a degree, but the problem is the 100% nozzle in my opinion.

Dscrant

Reaction score
Thanks jbolen323... unfortunately all of this is brand new and I didn't research enough before purchasing. I may have to just suck it up and deal with it until I can get different injectors. I appreciate the input.

wildbill963258

Reaction score
Thanks jbolen323... unfortunately all of this is brand new and I didn't research enough before purchasing. I may have to just suck it up and deal with it until I can get different injectors. I appreciate the input.
If I were you I would still check everything just to be on the safe side and then once you know you dont have any boost leaks and your waste gate is set properly then I would talk with the tuner and just make the best of what you got. You may not be able to get completely smoke free but the tuner may be able to dial down the smoke until you get some miles out of the injectors and get a better set.

Dscrant

Reaction score
Ok, small leak found on V-band going to the spider. Clamp wasn't replaced for the rebuild. It's a little wider than it should. Dropped about 1 psi every 10 seconds or so. Unhooked the wastegate actuator lime and plugged it. Clamped spider for a temp fix and test drove. Smoke is a LOT better. I have a few permanent fixes to do and maybe a few upgrades (CAC, better intake plumbing and different injectors later). I think it's figured out. I appreciate all the help again guys.

BS Hauler

Reaction score
Your HPOP might not be keeping up with the demand of the injectors also. That is why its smokes more at the higher hp demand levels.

Swaan

Reaction score
180/100s are super oil hungry, he has a point.

Even with my 175/80s and the adrenaline could all it could to maintain hpo on all out pulling hard.

Dscrant

Reaction score
I'm also getting a HIGH ICP alarm on AE when I run WOT for more than 4 or 5 seconds. Is this also a symptom of needing an upgraded HPOP?

Latest posts

Members online