Towing, racing, and Daily driving... Oh my

Ky6_0

Reaction score
Okay guys I’m new here, I’ve done some searching but found nothing that hit the necessary points, may be stupid to ask but this is what I would LIKE to do... *backstory* had a 2012 cummins a few trucks ago and not gonna lie it was freakin fun, reliable, and towed when I wanted to. It hit 720hp on the dyno at 50psi, I’d peg 65psi on the street so I know that wasn’t all it had at all but it was a stick shift I ran a s475 and 200hp nozzles, supporting fuel and stuff. I could haul a small trailer with average size vehicles just fine I thought. But anyways I got rid of it got married, had a boy, but then a couple months ago I got hired on at the Kentucky ford truck plant, so I bought a 2005 6.0 ccsb and I really like it but I can start playing again. So now my goal is to create a similar truck, something that puts down big power, I can haul a gooseneck with my compact tractor, car hauler with our 70 cougar, or in the future a 22ft give or take pontoon.

The big question now is what is the best way to do this and what are my limits with power to being able to tow without real issues. I plan to redo the motor, billet rods, pistons, springs, head work, cam, etc. so far I was looking at s363/s480 and 250/100 injectors. How would this turn out for me? Could I go bigger on anything? What cam would be the best for the setup? Trying to get info from multiple people who may of had different experiences or knowledge.

Reaction score
I don’t believe in camshaft upgrades because to many people don’t post their worth it. The 480 seems a tad big. There’s a Canadian guy on here that was one of the first to hit 1000 on the 6.0 Shawn ellerton May be his name. His screen name is Canadian something or similar. He had a twined tow truck to pull his race truck. I’d suggest searching for his specs and learning off of that, his was reliable. 5500 posts above me but I bet about 100 are useful even tho he is a knowledgeable mechanic that could of given you a better answer than me but hey, you see he’s a black smoke douche sooo.

Ky6_0

Reaction score
If I wanted to pay for a 6.7 I would of but instead I bought this truck and don’t have a payment so I’d rather go this route that I have asked about. Thanks though.

Ky6_0

Reaction score
I don’t believe in camshaft upgrades because to many people don’t post their worth it. The 480 seems a tad big. There’s a Canadian guy on here that was one of the first to hit 1000 on the 6.0 Shawn ellerton May be his name. His screen name is Canadian something or similar. He had a twined tow truck to pull his race truck. I’d suggest searching for his specs and learning off of that, his was reliable. 5500 posts above me but I bet about 100 are useful even tho he is a knowledgeable mechanic that could of given you a better answer than me but hey, you see he’s a black smoke douche sooo.

Well I wasn’t sure if it was or not, most trucks I’ve looked up that are in that 800hp+ online have installed cams so I thought there may of been some help in adding one especially for towing to help with spooling but oh well. I’ll see if I can’t find him, thats the only thing I don’t like about searching is it’s hard to scyphen through all the stuff that is t useful. I may of seen it and not realized it was of any use. Just to get some clarity... black smoke douche?? Lol

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
250/100 hybrids, kc stage 2 with a 476 made 790 according to track times on my truck. And that was on xtreme street tune, not an all out race tune. If you do that, make sure you put rods in. O ring the heads, upgrade valve springs and push rods, an odawg intake is a great investment, and put in a new intercooler so you dont blow a tank off the stock one. As far as cam goes, seems the colt stage 2 has done fairly well in a bunch of trucks. I did an rcd cam when I xhanged a bunch of other ****, and I lost power, but I had bumped injectors at the same time from 190/30s to 205/30s, and was losing icp, and seemed to have a few other thinhs going on at the same time, so I'm not sure if it was cam related or something else. The rcd cam was in when making almost 800 though.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Ky6_0

Reaction score
Well that is awesome, who did the tuning? I know it’s been done on the new cummins and duramaxs but for some reason when I’ve been looking up compounds on the 6.0 people talk like compounds with a vgt is impossible. So you still towed with that setup??

Ky6_0

Reaction score
Oh and where did you get your compound kit from? I have a hard time finding anything as far as compounds for these trucks

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Well that is awesome, who did the tuning? I know it’s been done on the new cummins and duramaxs but for some reason when I’ve been looking up compounds on the 6.0 people talk like compounds with a vgt is impossible. So you still towed with that setup??
In no vative did the tuning, and had some tsd tunes as well for it, both ran very well. The idp tunes seem to make the most power. Yes and no on thw towing, this is where the make sure you install rods part comes in. Ive got a 40ft weekend warrior trailer and the truck towed it awesome, until #1 rod decided it no longer wanted to be inside the motor. Trailer is aroumd 15k, and thos setup had absolutely no issue towing it at 70 mph, egts wouldnt get above 1300 even in overdrive, and haf absolutely no issue accelerating up hills or anything. Hell, I haf commented to the old left about 5 min before it let go about how impressed I was with it, because I was kinda worried on towing that heavy, but I apparently spoke too soon.

I got the compound kit from KC Turbos.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Ky6_0

Reaction score
Wow I’m glad I got to talk to you before I pulled the trigger on anything. That sounds like it would be perfect for my goal. Yeah I was most definitely putting rods in lol, I was going to just tear it down and do all the bottom end, bulletproofing, heads and such at once to get it done and not have to do it again (hopefully). Did you do pistons? I was thinking about going on and doing them to but I wasn’t sure what I should do if I was going to do it.

DieselJpower

Reaction score
Sell it and go 6.7

I was typing this out last night with an explanation , but got sidetracked with work and figured some on else would do it anyway.

If you want any kind of reliability out of a 6.0 I'd keep it sub 800 hp.

An 11-14 can be had for not much more then a mint 6.0 costs. You'll be spending similar amounts on upgrades so why not make it with a way better overall platform ?

Towing/racing/daily is gonna be tough to accomplish with a 6.0

The power comes in so much sooner on a 6.7. If you plan on towing I'd guess the only way to make a 6.0 compare would be with a vgt in the valley.

6.0 injectors are super finicky and don't have a reputation for lasting forever. Especially aftermarket ones. Not to even mention the fuel dilution..

Also remember at the end of the day that 60-80 lbs of boost your making is being stuffed into cylinders with only 2 studs a piece.

I'd recommend saving up waiting for a deal on a 6.7 then a built motor/trans , upgraded vgt or a 364.5 fed by a 485 or 488, and 60% injectors. Solid 850-900 hp setup that truly could do it all and be reliable as well.

Ask 6.0 tech how many times hes had to tear his apart due to something failing.

Also ask him if he had a blank slate and was starting from scratch with no truck and knowing all he knows now, which platform he'd build off of.

This is coming from someone who owns a compounded 6.0 too by the way. I'd build a 7.3 b4 I wasted all that money again on a 6.0. It wouldn't make as much power but it would be alot more reliable and easy to fix if something did go wrong.

If you're dead set on the 6.0 though, I'll have a built motor and a set of compounds up for sale here soon.

EPA

Reaction score
My towing, racing, daily setup looks like this....
Towing=diesel truck
Racing= high compression big block.
Daily= 4cyl ranger
This has proven to be the cheapest most reliable setup.

Zeb

Reaction score
My towing, racing, daily setup looks like this....
Towing=diesel truck
Racing= high compression big block.
Daily= 4cyl ranger
This has proven to be the cheapest most reliable setup.

This right here made me laugh, but it’s very true.

To the OP, Tony (6.0 Tech) has given you a lot of good info.
If you’re doing the build yourself, it’s probably worth doing, but if you’re paying someone to do it you’d be better off with a 6.7. Working on a compound turbo 6.0 is a nightmare. That’s the biggest reason I’ve stuck with a single on all my 6.0’s, so far.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I'm just being honest and doing OP a favor and fast forwarding 2 years of head aches.

I'll put my crystal ball away now and let him shake his magic 8

Latest posts

Members online