1A Auto Parts 08 Style Tow Mirrors -- Review and Installation (pic heavy)

Snake

Reaction score
Review

I’ll begin with few pictures taken after the installation was completed.

DriverSidemirror_zps4e2ee800.jpg

Passenger side installed

IMG_0725_zps760b16a1.jpg

Notice the improvement in visibility in the lower mirror!!

IMG_0726v3_zpsefc8595b.jpg

For reference, the white sign post (outer edge of the lower mirror) is mid-cab and less than 3' away from the side of the truck. This has turned out to be incredibly helpful when travelling on multi-lane highways: no more blind spots!

IMG_0732_zpsc6f20bee.jpg

I have to admit these mirrors from 1A Auto Parts impressed me. I’ve wanted to replace my 2005 mirrors with the 08 style tow mirrors ever since I drove a Superduty with them. Visibility is drastically improved, and I was determined to buy OEM mirrors after reading countless negative reviews about aftermarket mirrors shaking and blurring out while driving. However, my enthusiasm was curbed after pricing OEM mirrors. I was also concerned about the wiring challenges associated with the different connector plugs used since 2003 and how much more expensive it might be to install upgraded towing mirrors the right way. I put this mod on the back burner until several people I know told me about their experiences with the 08 style tow mirrors from 1A Auto Parts: not only are these 100% plug and play, but they turned out to be less blurry than the OEM mirrors they replaced. The installation was very straightforward and took approximately 30 minutes. Time will tell, but I think they’re as good as OEM mirrors.

I chose the upgraded tow mirrors from 1A Auto, Item 1AMRP00611, for 1999-2007 Superduty’s. These are 2008 style tow mirrors wired for pre-08 trucks and offer the following:
• Paint to match caps and chrome caps (textured black caps are also available)
• Turn signal / marker light
• Power adjustable
• Heated
• Manual folding
• Manual telescoping

In other words, they should function exactly the same as the mirrors they’re replacing.

As received…

1A_1_zpsb45f2067.jpg

1A_2_zpsf7851879.jpg

These come with both paint to match (PTM) and chrome mirror caps

IMG_0438_zps4e3d318a.jpg

1A Auto Parts also includes this connector to convert a square plug (mirror) to a round plug (truck). My 2005 F-250 did not need to use this part to complete the installation, but earlier model years will.

Connector_zpsa7c10b15.jpg

I decided to tint the marker light covers while the PTM covers were getting color matched.

image_zpsf60ea3d3.jpg

I think they turned out perfect and couldn’t wait to install them, and the installation turned out to be incredibly easy.

Snake

Reaction score
Removal of existing mirrors

Start by removing the switch panel for the windows/mirrors/door locks from the door panel by pulling up on the front of the switch panel. The panel is held in place by only one clip at the front (closest to the door hinges). The mirror connector is behind the switch panel and is likely secured to the door. After removing the switch panels, unplug the mirror connector.

Passenger side (mirror connector is behind the aftermarket sound deadening material)

Switchpanel_zpsba35f354.jpg

Driver side switch panel (four connectors)

IMG_0582_zpsbb9ff3cf.jpg

Driver side mirror connector

Driversidemirrorconnector_zpsf5b5676a.jpg

Next, remove the sail panel / mirror cover interior panel and the three rubber grommets in front of it. The sail panel is held in place with two clips and just needs to be gently pulled directly away from the door. The rubber grommets just pull out as well (no tools are required to remove either the sail panel or the rubber grommets).

Grommets1_zpsc2aec08f.jpg

Here’s the clips on the inside of the sail panel and should give you a better idea exactly which direction you need to pull to get the panel off.

IMG_0552_zpseb632d05.jpg

The upper and lower rubber grommets each hide a nut (labeled 1 and 2) that must be removed in order to take the mirror off. There’s also a piece of anti-vibration material underneath the sail panel that hides two nuts (labeled 3 and 4) that also hold the mirror in place.

Grommets3_zpscccf67a1.jpg

Sailpanel4_zps3d145f8a.jpg

Remove the mirror by loosening the 11mm nuts using a deep socket.

*** TIP *** Use a 11mm deep socket to initially loosen the nuts, but use nut driver with a magnetic bit to complete the removal. These nuts are very difficult to reach and can easily fall down into the door panel.

Once the four nuts are removed, the mirror can be pulled directly away from the door.

Installation of the new mirrors

Insert the mirror connector through the hole indicated by the white arrow and align the four bolts on the mounting surface of the mirror with the four holes in the door (red arrows).

Mirrorexterior_zps58e44850.jpg

Loosely secure the mirror to the door using the four 11mm nuts and locate the new mirror wiring connector inside the door. Route the connector and the mirror wiring through the door to the connector on the truck and plug the two connectors together. Next, tighten the four nuts in an “X” pattern to fully secure the mirror to the door.

*** TIP *** Use a nut driver with a magnetic bit to start the nut on the bolt, and then complete the installation using a deep socket.

Test the operation of the mirrors before replacing the switch panels. Once the mirrors are operating correctly, replace the switch panel by sliding the bottom edge of the switch panel into the slot on the door’s armrest. Then align the clip at the top of the switch panel with the other slot on the door’s armrest and push down on the top of the switch panel until it snaps in place.

Replace the grommets by pressing them back into their respective holes, and then replace the sail panel by aligning the clips on the back of the panel with the slots in the door. One slot is in the middle of the sound deadening material that was peeled back to expose the two hidden nuts, and the other slot is directly above the sound deadening material.

And that’s it!

I’ve had these installed for just over a month and continue to be very happy with them. Backing the truck, especially with a trailer, is so much easier when you can see where things are. Lane changes on the highway are easier and safer because 90% of the blind spots have been eliminated. And many say the newer style mirrors look better.

jdc753

Reaction score
Dang, I think I am going to start calling you the write up GURU, after the BDP one and now this, clearly this is how it should be done lol

Plus I can't stop drooling over the truck each time you post lol

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Snakes, throw out a write up on your trucks build in 6.0 aftermarket. I just saw it here for the first time the other day, and that thing is killer. I want to read about it.

Nice work with the mirrors to both you and 1a!

jag6510

Reaction score
Nice write and they look great, have been thinking about doing the same thing. How much did they run you?

Snake

Reaction score
Dang, I think I am going to start calling you the write up GURU, after the BDP one and now this, clearly this is how it should be done lol

Plus I can't stop drooling over the truck each time you post lol

LOL Thanks man! Just glad to give something back to the community.

Great write up!! I can't wait to do this mod to my truck.

Thanks! I wish I would have done this sooner. The visibility is really that much better.

Snakes, throw out a write up on your trucks build in 6.0 aftermarket. I just saw it here for the first time the other day, and that thing is killer. I want to read about it.

Nice work with the mirrors to both you and 1a!

Thanks Steve! Never really considered doing a full write up, but that might be a cool way for me to document everything that's been done.

Nice write up and really nice truck Mike...

As always, thank you Mark!

Nice write and they look great, have been thinking about doing the same thing. How much did they run you?

Thanks man! The mirrors were less than $400 for the pair.....somewhere between $350 and $450 (can't remember exactly). Painting the mirror caps and tinting the marker covers was another $60. And this is a mod that's well worth the money and time!

Great writeup. Just completed this swap on my 01 and it would have saved me some time.

Thanks! You should have had a write up for me to use! LOL

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
Quick question, I was looking on there page and found ones that fit but the truck I want to install them on is a 2002 and I dont think it has heat and it doesnt have turn signals so are they still plug in play or do you have to run 2 more wires for that?

Snake

Reaction score
Quick question, I was looking on there page and found ones that fit but the truck I want to install them on is a 2002 and I dont think it has heat and it doesnt have turn signals so are they still plug in play or do you have to run 2 more wires for that?

I think you're going to have to run extra wires, but their point of contact on the forums is Tony Marchand:

[email protected]

You can also send him a PM here:

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/member.php?u=10949

TyCorr

Reaction score
The visibility is worth upgrading for, if no other reason. I can back comfortably down my driveway and not.be worried about being able to see a child. If you have no other reason, snag some manual ones to eliminate your blind spots. They really stomp the visibility of the rounded ones.

Im over satisfied with mine. They're very nice!!

If you dont have heat, or lights you'll definitely be running additional wires. Fyi, the power to the windows would be a good source of key-on power. Parking light juice can be had at the headlamp.switch.

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
Guys...my mirrors are also from 1A. I bought them from them before they were even sponsors. They have been perfect. Zero issues.

Nice write up Snake!

PSA CEO

Latest posts

Members online