6.4 rockers wore severely.

78f100

Reaction score
Mine were bad also 2 were wore to the bridge at 107k. I bought both assemblies for 209$ from ford. My first diesel cab off was my 6.4 they ain't so bad but 6.0s are a little easier.

Reaction score
It all has to do with the lubrication issues. I've talked to navistar personel and ford engineers and they know about those issues. But they don't fess up.. This coming out o their mouths. According to them it's ok for a ford 6.4 to make up too 2.5 quarts of oil.. I asked them, can I get something in writing so I cashow a customer.. Oh no, we don't have anything in writing, but it will make oil. Best thing to do bud, build it delete it. Best of luck bud.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Yes, your oil sample is going to say severely diluted. Ford is saying thats acceptable... Until ALL the warranties are up than its a catastrophic failure and bend over

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
Any one else seeing a lot of cams going flat lately? Seeing a lot in the 6.4's. One theory was the oil quality has been diminishing along with zinc but we just had a Amsoil dealer come in with his 6.0 saying his metals in his oil was going up in his oil test, he just came in to do head studs but we looked a little deeper and pulled the lifters out and in cylinder 6 intake lope was very very damaged and it was starting to show wear on the lifter. He also had an oil bypass that filtered down to 2 microns. He does oil changes every 3,000 to so in my mind that kinda got rid of the oil quality theory. Is the material that the cams and lifters are being made out of being cheaper and the quality is going down? Something else interesting is that the part number for lifters is the same for the 7.3, 6.0, and 6.4 and I have never seen this happen to a 7.3.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
photobucket-18724-1333241766349.jpg

Here is the one and only 7.3 lifter failure I have seen first hand. But I cannot say the lifter itself was the issue. The rocker arm fulcrum bolts BOTH snapped and we dont know why. We figured someone just didnt torque them prior and they finally said FU.
photobucket-24074-1333063659830.jpg

Last edited:

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
just got the rockers from ford this morning. i ordered them for a 6.0.

other than the bases,they're the same rocker commonized for service parts.

i think everyone that has run into this issue with the 6.4,should post up what oil they're using.

i think maybe the 6.0 guys not having this issue,is due to the quality of oil we use for good injector life??

thoughts?

Also the quantity. 6.0's have oil exiting the top of each injector. Meaning there is a storm of oil under the valve cover. 6.4 only has oiling through the pushrod. Its plain and simple an oiling issue.

Cory S

Reaction score
well after reading this thread i went ahead and ordered two Complete rocker assemblies. and lifters to go with my new heads that are going on when i stud it. along with gogo pushrods that i need to order.

im at 170k

promodracer

Reaction score
Rocker arms wear off from not changing your oil properly and using garbage filters.

Even idling will not kill them aslong as your basing oil changes of engine hrs.

What's the hr reading on that engine with the varnished and worn rockers (5k/150 hr oil changes dont varnish rockers like that unless he's using mazzola)
I am waiting for Manton to make better rockers to go with there bridges. I ******d and tuned from day one. I use remote oil filter system to remove large particle soot. I also run 15 40 Amsoil and change at 5k max. I have no issues that I am aware of yet.
I feel the issue is heat treat of tips. oil dilution could be a problem also.

sootie

Reaction score
I am waiting for Manton to make better rockers to go with there bridges. I ******d and tuned from day one. I use remote oil filter system to remove large particle soot. I also run 15 40 Amsoil and change at 5k max. I have no issues that I am aware of yet.
Lack of oiling is the issue.

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score

not sure i would waste the money on upgraded rockers.....i would get a new OEM set, install them and be on your way. its not a great design but it does work. seem to have about 100k miles life span from what i have seen. just like every wearable part at some point its going to have to be replaced. just my .02

Latest posts

Members online