EGR MONITOR 2003 6.0

blusman66

Reaction score
I am reaching out here for some advice. I live in Ca and have to smog my truck. The EGR monitor will not reset. I know it had a previous tune and I know it has been tuned back to stock. I am wondering if the tuner screwed up the monitor reset? I installed a new EGR valve, ran the truck for 1500 miles, tried the drive cycle patterns, etc. I am totally at a loss. I would really appreciate any thoughts or advice on this. Thank you!

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Does it have a factory cooler? I remember reading somewhere that the bullet proof coolers, and i would assume others like it, flow either too much or too little for the monitor to set, and in some cases will throw a check engine light for egr flow.

Also, certain air boxes will not allow it to complete due to the different airflow, and may also set a check engine light.

bismic

Reaction score
The BulletProofDiesel EGR coolers for the later year models flows less because they went with the welded tube design (instead of the weak plate design). Since the 03's always had the welded tube design, I am pretty sure that the BPD coolers flow essentially the same as OEM. I would bet on the tuner.

blusman66

Reaction score
It has the original air box set up. I am not sure if the cooler has been replaced (Im sure it probably was the truck has 225K). I dont have any check engine lights but I am getting a soft code DTC, U0306. Im not exactly sure what this code is. Do you think I need to get the computer re-flashed and what the cost of that might be? I m thinking this might be the last resort. I dont know how to test the system. Im thinking if the EGR was not functioning or stuck in one position the truck would run like s==t. Would it make a difference if I disconnected the battery to get the monitor to reset? Ugh..

Latest posts

Members online