Won’t start (sometimes)

89 Stroker

Reaction score
97 F350 CCLB, was an auto but has been swapped to a manual, has a php tuner onnit but that’s all. Not sure what else to do as this thing sometimes won’t start when its mildly cold out, other days it fires right up, some it just cranks and cranks, smoke out of the exhaust, no cel, wait to start light works and all that.

Any ideas? Bad relay possibly? Icp?

89 Stroker

Reaction score
I do have a AutoEnginuity I could hook up, started yesterday in about 50 degrees or so, this morning around 35 degree, even after cycling the GPS several times it didn’t want to light off

Bugman

Reaction score
Have you tested the GPR and glow plugs?

Cycling the relay does nothing but wear out the relay. The relay will stay on for up to 2 minutes after you turn the key on.

89 Stroker

Reaction score
Have you tested the GPR and glow plugs?

Cycling the relay does nothing but wear out the relay. The relay will stay on for up to 2 minutes after you turn the key on.

Gonna do a resistance check on the glow plugs today, along with a voltage test on the gpr, gpr is a new Motorcraft one, I know they can be DOA, so will test both and report back.

89 Stroker

Reaction score
Gpr, checked good, voltage was good on the live post and across. Just to verify, the outside prongs inside the connector in the gasket are the glowplugs? Cleaned up the connectors, didn’t start, unplugged the icp, still didn’t start, hooked jumper cables up to my other truck to give it more juice, plugged in the icp and it fired right up, I’m thinking it’s not turning over fast enough.

Of course while cranking it chugs white smoke, along with a nice cloud when it lights off, then idles nice and smooth, no tractor noises, gonna try again in the morning and see what happens.

89 Stroker

Reaction score
Tried this morning and nothing, plugged it in for about 45 minutes and still nothing, it’s about 40 degrees here this morning. It doesn’t turn over the strongest which i read could be the culprit.

89 Stroker

Reaction score
Started last night in 35 degrees no problem.

This morning around 29 it fires then died, initial cranking numbers were

RPM 175.3
ICP PSI 1187.29
ICP Duty cycle % 55.86

Continue cranking and a sign of wanting to start numbers jumped to

RPM 164.8
ICP PSI 3774.00 with some fluctuation
ICP Duty cycle % 45.70

89 Stroker

Reaction score
Current temp outside it’s now 33 degrees. After doing a buzz test for the sake this thing for some reason fired off no problem.

Took about 7 tries or cranking, both with trying to start and to take numbers down. No codes, HPOP was full before I even tried starting it. fuel filter is good.

would thick oil possibly be causing this? or are those numbers way off from where they're supposed to be? it has 15w40 in it now.

Last edited:

dmd

Reaction score
That temp isn't cold, I can start at 10-deg with 15-40w oil. Your regular temps are probably
in the 50s and 60s so your oil is fine

89 Stroker

Reaction score
That temp isn't cold, I can start at 10-deg with 15-40w oil. Your regular temps are probably
in the 50s and 60s so your oil is fine

check that off, i have read that thinner oil can help, but i doubted that was the actual problem, although the oil was a quart and a half low, topped it off.

Bugman

Reaction score
You are going to have to trouble shoot it when it is happening. Perhaps the HPOP reservoir is draining off some. Being 1 1/2 quarts low could be part of the problem, but if you are getting smoke out of the tailpipe then it sounds like it is getting fuel and the injectors are working.

I also agree that the oil isn't your problem. I have never ran anything other than 15w40 in my truck with temperatures well down in the minus areas.

89 Stroker

Reaction score
You are going to have to trouble shoot it when it is happening. Perhaps the HPOP reservoir is draining off some. Being 1 1/2 quarts low could be part of the problem, but if you are getting smoke out of the tailpipe then it sounds like it is getting fuel and the injectors are working.

I also agree that the oil isn't your problem. I have never ran anything other than 15w40 in my truck with temperatures well down in the minus areas.

Anything I should monitor with AE in the morning? Yes there is a ton of smoke out of the exhaust when cranking.

Bugman

Reaction score
With the smoke I am still thinking glow plugs or the relay.

Have you tried just shorting the large lugs of the relay with a pair of pliers or jumper cables for about 30 seconds before trying to start?

89 Stroker

Reaction score
Lots of smoke, not even trying to fire. Used a screw driver, volt meter and test light on the two large lugs on the gpr. It’s getting power to, and across. It’s only 40 degrees out right now.

Are those icp numbers / % where they should be?

Last edited:

89 Stroker

Reaction score
Used a different volt meter, negative to battery I went through each connector checking each end pin, only two pins in one connector ohm’d , bad volt
Meter? Me doing it wrong? Leaning towards bad uvch, I decided to plug it in for about 45 minutes and it fired right up. Excess white smoke would mean the injectors are fireing, but glow plugs are barley if not at all warming up? Unless when I unplugged the connectors and re connected it made a better connection?

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I think ICP % should be about 30% or less when cranking.

The glow plugs, you put the positive terminal on the positive terminal of the battery and the ground at the glow plug pin at the harness? Should get what the battery volt is. Or you can ohm from the ground terminal on battery and the other terminal at the GP pin on harness and see if you have continuity

Latest posts

Members online