Resurgence of a F100

6speedsd

Reaction score
This won't be near the full blown project/resto most of you guys showcase here, but figured I'd start a thread instead of constantly clouding up the random pic thread with my garbage.

Recently bought this 1977 F100, as this body style has been a dream truck of mine since I was a kid.
c4effc7392a71b598c8ba9e945bce3a3.jpg

A little info...77 model SWB, converted to one piece grill and square headlights, 302 with auto. The good....fresh body work and paint less than a year ago, can't find a spot of bondo anywhere, lots of new parts, wiring is good, all gauges work, ect. The bad....engine dropped a valve. (And a few cosmetic choices made by the previous owner obviously).

Plans are fairly mild at this point. Get it running, finish up the interior (which is probably 80% done already) then drive it. Will be an ongoing project for years to come I'm sure, and everything I "want" to do won't be done all at once. Couple extra pics just for fun.

679bf9c8c6b1b91ebe8ba7f8a2b0d0be.jpg
9a2f43d3e117c5633c31d096425fa0a7.jpg
dba9265a2305fd92222e61ca77af0e91.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
Decided to do a little investigation this afternoon. Pulled the plug on the cylinder that lost the valve. It's obviously been hit, but it's not broken. Electrode is just bent over to one side. Dude told me it started missing, so they shut it down, pulled the valve cover and found the issue. Then tried to bump it over thinking it would push valve back up through the head, but it just locked up.
632e7b9123ef17b621b38b6d69adab0f.jpg

Was looking over the spec sheet for the cam he said he put in it. Comp 31-216-2. He claims he put stock springs back in it because "it didn't need stiffer ones", but on the spec sheet it clearly states in big bold letters "springs required" and even listed the part number for the set. It's also a hydraulic cam, and I'm curious if he even swapped in a set of hydraulic lifters to match.

Decided to work on pulling that head and see just how much damage was done. Got a little ways tonight and will finish tomorrow. I haven't fooled around in the gasser world in years, so this is a welcome change from diesel fumes and soot! I forgot how heavy a cast intake manifold was too.
63aa1e6d8d7bd86fd21b77f2244fa14c.jpg

Apparently he LOVED Permatex. Even had the intake gaskets glued down solid with the stuff. I should have the head off tomorrow, and hoping maybe I'll get lucky and it didn't eff up the cylinder walls. How nice would that be! More pics to follow the deeper I get.

Anyone with experience with that particular cam? It's less than a year old so I see no reason not to use it with my mild build. I'll get the right springs and hyd lifters too. Will be swapping on an aluminum intake and fresh 4 barrel (currently has a 2 barrel), and a set of long tubes. Other than that, it'll be stockish for a while. Is that a good drivable cam?

bluedge8

Reaction score
Make sure the cam hasn't worn wrong and use break in lube on the cam again. I wrecked an engine because it sat too long between assembly and start up and all of the lube must have chine off the lobes

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
Got pushrods out...one on that cylinder had a slight bend in it which was to be expected. But it really is just a slight bend. Pulled a lifter...at least it's got hydraulic lifters in it already. Only pulled the one, but the tappet end looks practically unused.

a87aec9f7ee388c3e1166f24f38bb123.jpg
fcfc847c5a92642ebdf80242f2ebb5e0.jpg

Some of the pushrods gave this stamped on the side. I assume it's a brand/part number? Why don't they all have it though is my question....surely he didn't mix/max pushrods. "RP-3167"
ea464613f3d32299df315d56a7f7dc7a.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
Well, so much for getting lucky. Piston is cracked. Explains why it locked up. I'm curious what the cylinder wall looks like though.

Here's all I found of the valve
7b4cd712f93921c83456d8f51ae59f3b.jpg

26b6a1e54c68bc5af59b3da0af286fd4.jpg

dd6573fbd09a2f3617244b8a1b9892b8.jpg
54a9cb46d349d13e15df568833103457.jpg

heavydoc

Reaction score
That's a big bummer. I thought you might have gotten lucky.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
Yeah really. Oh well. Bore measured 3.9975 by my mic so looks like it's never been bored before, which is shocking. An original 1977 302.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Well roll it over and check the cylinder. I had one Waaaaaay worse than that when I was 15 and was able to easily sleeve it. And that motor still runs today

powerstroked08

Reaction score
I'm definitely jealous of that truck by the way! You can just drop it off at my place anytime!

6speedsd

Reaction score
It has a scratch down the cylinder wall that I can catch my finger nail on. I would think that'd be an issue.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Oh and it's a C4 truck, not a C6 like he said. I didn't even think to get under it the other day and look. Not biggie I guess...it still run up and down the highway all the same.

I want to check that cylinder out good though. The more I look at that scratch, the more it seems like a good fresh cross hatch might be plenty. Then again, it is original and I have no idea how many miles are on it, so a freshening up might be in order regardless.

Got everything unbolted and ready to be pulled. I think anyways. Need to get an engine stand, and talk to the engine builder and see when he can work his magic. The I'll get it pulled and taken to him.

gwunter

Reaction score
So envious of that body still!! I hope to start on the 78 in a year or so. Have to get moved and my shop set up first. My 78 looks so bad, I'm not even going to post a pic.....would hate to upset someone's stomach. But the truck is a family gem.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
It has a scratch down the cylinder wall that I can catch my finger nail on. I would think that'd be an issue.

Yeah you might better just sell that whole truck to me. ... you would be much better off! Nice thing is 302 stuff is cheap and readily available. And you can throw a 347 stroker kit in it for under 700 bucks.

Last edited:

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Head ok? Missed matched springs for the application that made it drop a valve?

6speedsd

Reaction score
I "think" the head is ok. I don't know enough about what's "cleanable" and what's not when it comes to this stuff. In the one pic I posted, you can see a small dent/gouge in the valve seat. It's slight, so I'm hoping a valve job will clean that up. If not, it's an excuse to bribe the Mrs. for a set of aluminum heads... LOL.

And yes, I think him running stock springs with that cam was the problem. Although the spring on that cylinder that lost the valve is complete and intact, so who knows.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Yeah you might better just sell that whole truck to me. ... you would be much better off! Nice thing is 302 stuff is cheap and readily available. And you can throw a 347 stroker kit in it for under 700 bucks.

Sure, I'll sell it to you. Just come on down and bring double what I paid for it. I'll even finish pulling the motor for that price.

And yeah, 302 stuff is all over the local craigslist, so finding anything I need will be easy. If I don't go new anyways.

6speedsd

Reaction score
So envious of that body still!! I hope to start on the 78 in a year or so. Have to get moved and my shop set up first. My 78 looks so bad, I'm not even going to post a pic.....would hate to upset someone's stomach. But the truck is a family gem.

Those are the best kinds. This will be a long time family vehicle, eventually going to one of the boys. That is after I've had all my fun with it!

6speedsd

Reaction score
Anyone with any input on that particular cam?

What about the pushrods? Guess I should just google that number and see what comes up.

Golddigger

Reaction score
NICE! I need to get on my '71, when I finally get back into it I'm selling the whole rolling chassis. 360/auto, going to put the body on a 4x4 7.3 chassis. Whole truck has 91K.

6speedsd

Reaction score
With that cam, and the heavier springs I plan to install, do I need to look into stronger pushrods, or will stock be sufficient?

Latest posts

Members online