For a snow blow truck which is better v10 6.8 or v8 5.4

shatesme

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a 1999 a up F250 or F350 Superduty for a snow plow truck and I was wondering which gas engine v10 6.8 or v8 5.4 holds up better and is easier to maintain? I know everyone one is going to tell me to buy diesel but I already have a diesel and want something different. I also was wondering what year,drivetrain combo,gear ratio and transmission is the best power for snowplowing and light towing? And of course I'm gonna do the 2012-13 nose conversion to it like my 1999 diesel f250.

Thank you guys for any info or opinions..:thumb: :ford:

sootie

Reaction score
i have plowed with both. the V10 is WORLDS better than the 5.4 even tho the hp ratings are close. mileage is virtually no different, maintenance is the same (they both have typical triton flaws). The V10 seems to run smoother and does not have the same cold engine knock and blue smoke feature LOL
3:73 is a great "all around" gear, lets you go plenty fast in reverse but doesnt kill tq. just my 0.02

PA Stroker

Reaction score
I had two V-10 excursions. A 2000 and an 05 there where great motors. The only problems with them was the fuel millage, and the 2000 blew a plug out of the head. Both had almost 200k on the when i got ride of them and they both still ran great. The 05 had the 3 valve head and it had a little bit more power, but if you go in the skinny pedal the 05 would burn more gas lol.

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
I'm not sure on the engine, but I would stay with an '04 and older as they will have the leaf sprung front end which in my opinion holds up to the weight better.

Chris

sootie

Reaction score
I'm not sure on the engine, but I would stay with an '04 and older as they will have the leaf sprung front end which in my opinion holds up to the weight better.

Chris
we dont find that with our trucks. also the coils have a way better turning radius.

Latest posts

Members online