5" Excursion exhaust???

Wayne

Reaction score
Well, I've got a plan together for my '03 V-10 excursion to become a 6.4. I've also decided to do a 5" exhaust system on it, but haven't found any "kits" for what I want. I'll be using 6.4L 4" piping to the transmission cross member, but then plan on going to 5", preferably stainless. I've seen plenty of 4" options from just about every brand for both 6.0, and 7.3, but nothing in 5".

Question is, does anybody have a kit for either 7.3 or 6.0? I don't care if it's turbo, downpipe, or cat-back. I just don't want to have to modify the over-axle section from a pick-up to get what I want. Thanks in advance.

Wayne

Reaction score
Yep. It can be done. I would just prefer to buy a mandrel bent, slide together, smooth deal as opposed to modifying, and sectioning a truck pipe kit more than necessary.

Wayne

Reaction score
I just made a deal with a buddy on the donor vehicle. His '08 got t-boned bad enough to bend the frame in the middle of the cab. Insurance totaled it, and he sold it to me for what I'd call a smokin' deal. The entire drivetrain was unaffected by the accident, and the entire nose is in perfect condition, so I'm pretty excited. I won't be able to pick it up until about a week before Christmas, so after it's in my possession, I'll start a thread.

I'm seriously considering a drive train swap with my red truck, putting it all back to stock, and selling it to get something else (depends if I make it to the mag voting for DPC 2014). I just don't know how the wife will feel about a 700+ HP grocery getter. Aside from paint, and a windshield, I will need a grille (he sold it already) and a gauge cluster. It's a Canadian vehicle, and I don't want to squint to see the mph. I just have convinced myself that the exhaust on my truck is a power restriction, so no matter what I do, I don't want to be limited by exhaust flow.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I've had an Excursion for going on 8 years... Never seen a 5" system. Your going to have to have it custom made one way or the other.

webb06

Reaction score
I don't think any company offers a 5" for an excursion. I've put a few 4" on and it's tight past the axle

Lysons

Reaction score
I just made a deal with a buddy on the donor vehicle. His '08 got t-boned bad enough to bend the frame in the middle of the cab. Insurance totaled it, and he sold it to me for what I'd call a smokin' deal. The entire drivetrain was unaffected by the accident, and the entire nose is in perfect condition, so I'm pretty excited. I won't be able to pick it up until about a week before Christmas, so after it's in my possession, I'll start a thread.

I'm seriously considering a drive train swap with my red truck, putting it all back to stock, and selling it to get something else (depends if I make it to the mag voting for DPC 2014). I just don't know how the wife will feel about a 700+ HP grocery getter. Aside from paint, and a windshield, I will need a grille (he sold it already) and a gauge cluster. It's a Canadian vehicle, and I don't want to squint to see the mph. I just have convinced myself that the exhaust on my truck is a power restriction, so no matter what I do, I don't want to be limited by exhaust flow.

Canadian eh?
What's wrong with reading in km/h? LOL

Wayne

Reaction score
Canadian eh?
What's wrong with reading in km/h? LOL
it's too logical for us US citizens to follow suit unfortunately. Maybe eventually this country will catch on to the wonders of the metric system. Until then, I'd rather not deal with it. Hopefully I'll find a guy with a US truck in Canada that wants to do the opposite of what I plan on.

As for the exhaust, I suppose I will be modifying a 5" truck system, and squeezing air bags in there as well since there are no apparent aftermarket systems for this. A quick internet search yielded nothing for it, so I figured if one existed, somebody here would know about it. Oh, well. BTW Joe, what did you do for a water methanol reservoir in your ex? the only one I've seen was a 7 gallon system hacked into the LR panel, just behind the 2nd row of seats. It was horrible, and loud with all the water sloshing around. I don't plan on doing one in mine, but have wondered about the ideal location if I ever did.

Last edited:

Lysons

Reaction score
it's too logical for us US citizens to follow suit unfortunately. Maybe eventually this country will catch on to the wonders of the metric system. Until then, I'd rather not deal with it. Hopefully I'll find a guy with a US truck in Canada that wants to do the opposite of what I plan on.

As for the exhaust, I suppose I will be modifying a 5" truck system, and squeezing air bags in there as well since there are no apparent aftermarket systems for this. A quick internet search yielded nothing for it, so I figured if one existed, somebody here would know about it. Oh, well. BTW Joe, what did you do for a water methanol reservoir in your ex? the only one I've seen was a 7 gallon system hacked into the LR panel, just behind the 2nd row of seats. It was horrible, and loud with all the water sloshing around. I don't plan on doing one in mine, but have wondered about the ideal location if I ever did.

Because 'Murica.

Are you going with 2wd or 4wd?
Big plans for the 6.4? Or tunes, studs, deletes and maybe drop in turbos?
I've always wanted to see a 6.4 Excursion, other than those custom autos by Tim ones.
I want to see the build process lol.

Wayne

Reaction score
At minimum it will be deleted with studs and a drop in turbo. It's getting the entire 6.4 drive train and nose, as well as front suspension. It's 4X4, and has 35" Toyo muds, and 20" death metal novakanes already with a 2.5" lift. I might go bigger, with more power, but haven't made up my mind yet.

Here's how it sits now. I won't be changing color primarily because I'm too lazy. I don't mind the color either. I'll be doing it on a tight budget, unlike the ones done at the custom autos by Tim shop, but using similar methods.
1474448_10201988287762844_649654656_n.jpg

Last edited:

CSIPSD

Reaction score

Excursion is Chelsea's... No water on her's.

BUT You could build a tank with 6" PVC that mounts to the frame rails. Pretty easy really. Paint it black and no one would ever know its there.

BK39

Reaction score
I'm assuming the rear-mounted 44gal tank doesn't allow for 5" pipe to clear easily

Yep. It can be done. I would just prefer to buy a mandrel bent, slide together, smooth deal as opposed to modifying, and sectioning a truck pipe kit more than necessary.

I put a 5" MBRP F250 kit on my 02 ex. The Excursion had an 8" lift. The pipe hit between the shock and the tank. I ended up dumping it as a solution, but got tired of the highway drone, and went back to a 4".

Had I been more eager to keep the 5" system, I'm sure some minor modification with a hammer, to make the pipe more of an oval shape in lieu of the circle shape, would have worked.

As for the 6.4 in an ex. That would be a badazz toy, looking forward to your build.

Wayne

Reaction score
My wallet told me I can do a 6.4, but doing a 6.7 the way I want is still a very long way off. Hard to pass up 99.5% of all the parts I need (aside from performance stuff anyway) for $5k. The PVC would be a good way to go if I ever do water meth, but don't see a need for it on a 6.4. Thanks for the good idea, Joe... and maybe I will have an ovaled section, if that's what it takes :pimp:

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Its not really my idea... Gordon (COTA) did it on his truck. IIRC he also put some pingpong balls in there to help with the slosh of the water.

I've got a 10 gallon tank in the tool box, along with an air compresor, tank, hose reel... Not really a tool box. LOL

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
Looked for the longest time for a 5 inch for the Excursions and never found it. I think if you ovaled the pipe it would fit but like every one else said the hard part is between the tank and the shock. So you plan to put a 08 dash in the X or do you plan to swap the cabs and splice on the Excursion rear shell?

sootie

Reaction score
At minimum it will be deleted with studs and a drop in turbo. It's getting the entire 6.4 drive train and nose, as well as front suspension. It's 4X4, and has 35" Toyo muds, and 20" death metal novakanes already with a 2.5" lift. I might go bigger, with more power, but haven't made up my mind yet.

Here's how it sits now. I won't be changing color primarily because I'm too lazy. I don't mind the color either. I'll be doing it on a tight budget, unlike the ones done at the custom autos by Tim shop, but using similar methods.
1474448_10201988287762844_649654656_n.jpg

What lift do you have on the excursion?

is this what you were wondering??!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.