Fass Titanium 220gph troubleshooting... oops

SmokeyTex

Reaction score
First time post, but I'll get right into it. So I have a completely custom fuel system from tank sump, to FASS, to regulated return, to crossovers. The other day I started the truck and noticed the pump was not running and the truck was definitely not right. I went through and checked the electrical (except the relay that I had forgotten), and still no pump. Being impatient I bypassed the entire pump harness and finally got the pump to run!!! So thinking to myself "It would be pretty cool to wire it to an analog switch in the cab!" I get it all wired up, flip the switch to a running pump, and sure as hell the truck is now hydro-locked..... :badidea:

I am assuming it is anyways, and now I feel like a complete dumb ass. Needless to say I checked the relay afterwards, and to my surprise I have a faulted relay.

If anyone can tell me exactly what happened when I bypassed the relay and stock power source from stock pump to a hard-line switch it would be greatly obliged.

SmokeyTex

Reaction score
The instant I hit the keythe starter try’s to roll the crank about halfway and then it sounds like the flywheel kicks back. I mean as soon as I heard it, it reminded me of my past injector cup experience. I’m wondering if I bypassed some sort of injector duty that allowed fuel to flood the cylinder(s)? I’ll find out if it is hydro’d tomorrow.

SmokeyTex

Reaction score
Well that would save a bunch of time for sure... It just sounds really violent on the starter/flexplate, I’ll see what happens this evening.

fordman67

Reaction score
Prob want to roll it over by hand from the crank bolt just to be sure. I would any way if I were suspect. If you have an injector issue it could have run enough from an injector to fill a cylinder from leakage while not running

SmokeyTex

Reaction score
Spins freely CCW, but when spun CW it tightens (still spins)... I can hear some sort of pressurized fluid bubbling and depressurizing? Not sure what that could be since I’m under the truck cranking. Doesn’t appear to be hydro’d after all, at least not “locked”... Gonna put a good charge on the batteries, and if that doesn’t work I’ll just pull the covers and plugs....

mandkole

Reaction score
Aside from being a little confused on the starter issue, the FASS units are not designed for a 7.3..? They are a low pressure lift for CR hpfp. They deliver fuel @ 15-16 psi? :shrug:

SmokeyTex

Reaction score
That’s what I thought originally while shopping around for a system, but they do make specific pumps for the 7.3. The pump cranks out 65psi at normal operation, and it has plenty of room for more.

Latest posts

Members online