MPD Quick Spool Budget kit

Reaction score
Anyone running one of these kits on a 11-14 with stock fuel? Im curious in hearing the pros and cons vs the standard S363 budget kit with stock fuel.

Reaction score
After talking with Mpd, No Limit, and Flynn shop, I’m between the S362sxe and the S363sxe. I’m just not sure which turbine would be best with the stock 12’ injection pump. Obviously the 68 turbine will spool faster than the 74, I just want to make sure I won’t run into drive pressure issues with the 68. I’m running 35s with the 3.55 rear at sea level most of the time. I’m looking for the best spool for daily driving and towing. I’ve never had a non vgt so just trying to pick the best one the first time. Thanks in advance for any input.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zeb

Reaction score
After talking with Mpd, No Limit, and Flynn shop, I’m between the S362sxe and the S363sxe. I’m just not sure which turbine would be best with the stock 12’ injection pump. Obviously the 68 turbine will spool faster than the 74, I just want to make sure I won’t run into drive pressure issues with the 68. I’m running 35s with the 3.55 rear at sea level most of the time. I’m looking for the best spool for daily driving and towing. I’ve never had a non vgt so just trying to pick the best one the first time. Thanks in advance for any input.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stock fuel 6.7 is enough fuel to get into the low 500 hp range.
I don’t have a 6.7, but I have done a bunch of non-vgt 6.0’s in that hp range. I really like an SXE 63/68/.83 or SXE 64.5/68/.83 at that power level for daily driving, some towing, and having fun. Drive pressure starts to climb fairly quickly over 3,200rpm on a setup like that, but that is a trade off for good drivability in the rpm range where we spend the majority of the time.
The 6.7 has a few more cubic inches, and better airflow capabilities (compared stock to stock) than a 6.0, so it is going to drive the turbo harder/ better/more efficiently.
If I were in your shoes, I think I would go with an SXE 63/68/.91.
Good tuning will definitely help.

Reaction score
So you think having the 63/68 in the .91 housing should keep drive pressure in check while still giving the best spool?How much slower would you think the 62/74/.91 would spool. Obviously with the 74 the drive pressure shouldn’t be an issue. And realistically there isn’t much of a power difference between the 62 and 63 since the 62 flows so much... I can’t find info or videos for that matter of these chargers on 6.7 Powerstrokes. No real world numbers or in cab videos of spool up and normal driving. All sorts of info on Cummins but that does me very little good. Thank you for your insight.

Zeb

Reaction score
So you think having the 63/68 in the .91 housing should keep drive pressure in check while still giving the best spool?How much slower would you think the 62/74/.91 would spool. Obviously with the 74 the drive pressure shouldn’t be an issue. And realistically there isn’t much of a power difference between the 62 and 63 since the 62 flows so much... I can’t find info or videos for that matter of these chargers on 6.7 Powerstrokes. No real world numbers or in cab videos of spool up and normal driving. All sorts of info on Cummins but that does me very little good. Thank you for your insight.

What everyone calls a 62 actually measures 61.47mm, so the sizes are pretty evenly spaced. (61.47mm, 62.99mm, 64.4?mm)
Turbine size will make the biggest difference on spool up.
It takes 2 things to drive a turbo, heat and pressure. Ask yourself how much of the time you will spend at an rpm level that can cause back pressure to be high. The time you spend there will be minimal compared to the time you spend at lower rpm when daily driving and towing where spoolip will be WAY more important.
Most guys spend way too much time worrying about whether drive pressure will be 1/1. If you hit 1.5/1, or even a little more, at the top of a shift, or pulling a hill for a bit, IT’S NOT GOING TO HURT ANYTHING as long as egt, etc is within the safe zone.

Reaction score
That makes perfect sense! I couldn’t tell you the last time I matted the go pedal. Which is sad cause I used to run the dragstrip all the time in my 6.0. Anyhow yeah you make perfect sense cause the truck gets up to speed plenty fast 2500rpm and under. Thank you Zeb for your insight.

doo dah

Reaction score
I have a 2012 with an S363 but not sure if it is SXE. It is a 63/68 from Industrial though. I have stock fuel and TSD got 576 with a leak on the stand pipes so boost fell off around 27 lbs so might be around 580 since fixed and able to get 32 lbs. I've had mine on for around 50k miles with a lot of in town, highway, and towing 15k+ lbs and like it quite a bit. I have learned to drive around the shortcomings in low boost conditions and do just fine. EGTs have only hit 1400 on some 7% grades over 7,000 feet sea level, otherwise right around 900-1,000 towing heavy.

Mr_diggs

Reaction score
I’ve got a s363sxe on my ‘13 with stock fuel. I’ve been waiting for my tuner (a very well known guy) to revise my tunes for non-vgt. Haven’t gotten a reply from him in a month so I can’t give you a good review. It’s too bad my $$$ didn’t buy me any customer support....

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
I'm running the 364.5 SXE on my 2013 with stock fuel. It runs amazing, I'm super happy with it. Probably going to go 15+ CP4 this year and then it'll be done. Turbo spools great, can be smokey if I want it to be, but it's a lot of fun to drive. Night and day difference for sure.

Zeb

Reaction score
I'm running the 364.5 SXE on my 2013 with stock fuel. It runs amazing, I'm super happy with it. Probably going to go 15+ CP4 this year and then it'll be done. Turbo spools great, can be smokey if I want it to be, but it's a lot of fun to drive. Night and day difference for sure.

What turbine and turbine housing?

Mr_diggs

Reaction score

Who’s tuning do you use? I can’t seem to get my tuner to send revisions so I’m looking elsewhere.

Reaction score

At what rpm would you say your 64.5/68/.91 starts to spool?
I’ve had my eye on 363/73/.91. I figured I would go with the 73 turbine since h&s and mpd both choose to use them for their kits.

Swaan

Reaction score
That's not necessarily true. Mpd have the 68 turbine on there quick spool kits. I think if your not looking for over 500 hp and want better drivability the 68 turbine is the way to go.

Heck didnt mpd make over 600hp with a 62mm precision not long ago. I think it only had there high flow 66mm turbine.

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
At what rpm would you say your 64.5/68/.91 starts to spool?
I’ve had my eye on 363/73/.91. I figured I would go with the 73 turbine since h&s and mpd both choose to use them for their kits.

It's pretty low RPM I'd say. If you want to PM me your number I can text you some driving videos. The piping kit made it spool faster over the factory stuff. I'm super happy with the turbo. Let me know if I can get one headed your way.