Let's talk tires....

Downey

Reaction score
So I had my mind made up on putting bfg at's on my truck. For the fact of the wear great and get great mileage out of them. Tires are going to be a 35/12.50/18. Afraid they will just turn to slicks when I get into the mud. Here is the problem I guess. Truck tows a 13k fifth wheel along with other towing. Also needs to be able to get in and out of a muddy situation on the farm. So looking for thing that is all around. Have 1200-1400 to spend. What do you guys suddgest?

Reaction score
I'm running 37 inch BFG at's on my 6.7 and quite like them. I've been out playing in the mud and never worried about getting stuck. Had to bring tools out to the tractor one time when I was deep tilling. We were going over eight inches deep, and it was wet, never had an issue. I've towed with them and never had any issue, I never got as much as 13k on but I wouldn't be scared. I love them when it rains, never had issues with hydraplaning. Even ice they're not horrible and they're great in snow. keep in mind I'm down to 30 % tread on my steers and 40-50% on my drives (even wear too mind you) My dad has a brand new set on his 95 7.3 and they've been great too him so far. I would not be concerned running them.

greyford1979

Reaction score
My brother and I both run Cooper ST Maxx's on our F250s and like them a lot. No issues with them and they have been wearing well. My brother had Goodyear Duratracs previously and prefers the Coopers. I have no experience with the BFGs, so don't have a say on those.

sagebel

Reaction score
Tire Rack has the AT KO2 in 35x12.50r18 and 325/65r18. The metric size looks to be around $1200 and a load capacity of 3860lbs/tire which is 400 more/tire than the $1100 35s.

T_W6.7

Reaction score
haven't heard anything bad about the BFG AT's, but it sounds like you need a more in between mud/all terrain, have you looked at the Nitto Ridge Grappler's at all? Have heard nothing, but positive things on them, seem to be a bit more aggressive but still have AT qualities as well, Toyo also makes the Open Country RT which is anothter one of those all/mud terrain crosses, friend has a set on his 6.4 and loves them, has about 30k miles on them and they look pretty good yet.

cbf9703

Reaction score
I liked my Cooper Discoverer STTs (since replaced by the STT PRO) in 325/65r18. I like them better than the old ATZs I ran and the BFGs. All 3 ran on a lifted excursion that sees 400-500 miles minimum a week, highway, farm use, and tows a livestock trailer or 10k toyhauler camper that stay parked off the pavement.

The Cooper's did the best for me on farm and moving the trailers off pavement. The BFGs wore fairly quickly to 25% tread and stayed there forever. They weren't bad tires, but I got sick of looking at them. Lol

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online