Pulley or belt chatter?

DC87

Reaction score
Hey guys I know it's hard to diagnose via video just trying to get some opinions. So I picked the truck up from my shop that I use after having a coolant leak addressed. It's about a 2 1/2 hour drive. After driving for about an hour i noticed a weird metal rattle coming from the passenger side floor board area that would only make that noise with the heat on(any vent setting). The next morning warming the truck up I heard a weird chatter(sounded like the fan hitting something) investigated didn't find anything hitting or rubbing. The sound would dampen and go away for a couple seconds if I sprayed the serpentine belt with conditioner. Shut the truck off came back a couple hours later started it no noise, after idling for roughly 10 minutes sound was back again and sounded worse and the truck makes a grinding noise during shut off. Belt looked good and no signs of extreme wear. Moved the fan by hand and it's not hitting or rubbing. It's definitely coming from the pulley setup/fan area. I'm not going to drive the truck this week. Going out of town all next week and will drive the truck to the shop about 130 miles provided if anyone can give their opinion as to whether driving it would do any significant damage motor wise. Driveabliity and power don't seem to have been affected. Thanks in advance guys. Seem to be having some bad luck lately with the truck. Videos posted below.

https://youtu.be/7x7CV7YKuHI

https://youtu.be/fN_0t4vplDY

Bigharm27

Reaction score
I would take the belt off and feel all the pulleys. If all good take some brake clean and spray that belt down and make sure there is no belt residue on the pulleys. If that doesn't work try some di eletric grease on both sides of the belt. If it goes away then it is a good chance that a belt replacement could cure it. But that does sound pretty bad.

redneck1

Reaction score
I would take the belt off and feel all the pulleys. If all good take some brake clean and spray that belt down and make sure there is no belt residue on the pulleys. If that doesn't work try some di eletric grease on both sides of the belt. If it goes away then it is a good chance that a belt replacement could cure it. But that does sound pretty bad.

Agreed. Definitely check your idler pulleys. Sounds like one has a bad bearing..

Nevermind, OP posted almost a month ago. I'm sure he got it figured out by now. Should've seen the date..

KCCO

Bigharm27

Reaction score
Agreed. Definitely check your idler pulleys. Sounds like one has a bad bearing..

Nevermind, OP posted almost a month ago. I'm sure he got it figured out by now. Should've seen the date..

KCCO
Oh well. I know how frustrating it is to post something and no body helps. I try to help when I can.

Latest posts

Members online