Idiot's guide to 6.7 PSD Tuning

Connor M

Youtube Certified Master Technician
Reaction score
I'm the idiot here.

Company takes delivery on a 2014 F-250 this week.

Crew cab, short bed, Lariat, 35's, 3.73.

Boss wants flo-pro 857NB race pipes, S & B cai, and most likely flo-pro or sinistr egr ******s.

He wants better fuel economy, improved towing, and a little performance. No smoke tunes, etc. We've never ******d or done any performance work to diesels before, only ever work to keep our 6.0's and mitsu's on the road. We have no idea what to do for a tuner. Livewire? Phalanx? EZLynk? And who's tunes? I'd love to get some pro-cons.

Also- He's big on longevity mods and he'll use this to drive up and down the east coast from the canadian border to the florida keys, and as a daily, driving all day from jobsite to jobsite. Will he be needing a lift pump or an oil bypass kit for extra filtration? Anything else he's missing?

Thank you for your help, from me, my boss, and his new daily.

JRLott

Reaction score
No
Limit
Fabrication

Call them with your desires, a very sturdy credit card and wait for the pretty boxes to show up. For oil and additional filtration, give jimdawg a call. He's the guy in the elite lubrucation specialties vendor section. Hell fix you right up and likely have that truck on safe 15-20k oil changes after a few oil samples, especially with a bypass filtration system I'm sure he'll be more than happy to provide.

Connor M

Reaction score
Don't forget the D P F del ete

I'm under the assumption that the d p f to trashcan mod was as simple as tune out, install the flro pro pipes, and take the tank/ lines out. Am I wrong here?

No
Limit
Fabrication

Call them with your desires, a very sturdy credit card and wait for the pretty boxes to show up. For oil and additional filtration, give jimdawg a call. He's the guy in the elite lubrucation specialties vendor section. Hell fix you right up and likely have that truck on safe 15-20k oil changes after a few oil samples, especially with a bypass filtration system I'm sure he'll be more than happy to provide.

I was really hoping to try and figure out what I needed from PSA so I wouldn't have to just fork over a credit card to a shop. I asked around and my list is kinda what I came up with, but this is just from small town guys who happen to own a truck. Knowledgeable people here with more experience than just buying one part and sticking with it forever.

JRLott

Reaction score
Mike thinks he's a fairly big deal here...something about being a sponsor. (That's a bit of sarcasm. He's a nice guy and will go out of his way to help.) He does have great customer service and very competitive prices. Keep the stock intake instead of wasting money on the S&B, or talk to Mike about his offerings. I have the NL stage 2 intake from Mike/No Limit.
The exhaust pipe is simply a hollow tube. You're not gonna see gains between manufactures or 4" vs 5" tube. Fitment might be noticeable. I bought mine off CL.
No Limit also has E G R block off plates or d3lete that are quality. I chose the NL block off plates.
Tuners and tunes can be from a plethora of combinations. Give No Limit a call to discuss.
Add an H&S intercooler pipe for reliability.
Mike and his No Limit staff can help you with all the above and will likely give you a package deal, saving you some green stuff.

Jimdawg is the guy to talk to about oil and filtration. I run LE8854 5w40 at his suggestion, but haven't added the bypass filtration. My 10k LE8854 oil sample was better than the 5k sample of Rotella T6.

*** is simply an unhook and tune out proposition once you've added the hollow tube. Don't even have to remove the tank.

Connor M

Reaction score
Mike thinks he's a fairly big deal here...something about being a sponsor. (That's a bit of sarcasm. He's a nice guy and will go out of his way to help.) He does have great customer service and very competitive prices. Keep the stock intake instead of wasting money on the S&B, or talk to Mike about his offerings. I have the NL stage 2 intake from Mike/No Limit.
The exhaust pipe is simply a hollow tube. You're not gonna see gains between manufactures or 4" vs 5" tube. Fitment might be noticeable. I bought mine off CL.
No Limit also has E G R block off plates or d3lete that are quality. I chose the NL block off plates.
Tuners and tunes can be from a plethora of combinations. Give No Limit a call to discuss.
Add an H&S intercooler pipe for reliability.
Mike and his No Limit staff can help you with all the above and will likely give you a package deal, saving you some green stuff.

Jimdawg is the guy to talk to about oil and filtration. I run LE8854 5w40 at his suggestion, but haven't added the bypass filtration. My 10k LE8854 oil sample was better than the 5k sample of Rotella T6.

*** is simply an unhook and tune out proposition once you've added the hollow tube. Don't even have to remove the tank.

Thank you for your help. I will be sure to look into NLS and ELS.

So my best bet for tuning rather than ask here is to call someone like mike tomorrow morning and talk on the phone? I will definitely be going to a vendor for that.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I'm under the assumption that the d p f to trashcan mod was as simple as tune out, install the flro pro pipes, and take the tank/ lines out. Am I wrong here?

I was really hoping to try and figure out what I needed from PSA so I wouldn't have to just fork over a credit card to a shop. I asked around and my list is kinda what I came up with, but this is just from small town guys who happen to own a truck. Knowledgeable people here with more experience than just buying one part and sticking with it forever.

what he ment was that no limit fabrications can set you up with the package you need to make your boss happy... mike at no limit is the owner of that business, a sponsor/vendor for this site and co-owner of this site.. I bet for less then a grand you can get a dereet pipe and a tuner for what you need..

if your boss wants a mild tune to just allow the dereets then that will be the best for longevity, a lil bump in power, not much of a gain in mpg's as the most reported so far was 1.5ish mpg after dereet.. the 6.7s are not like the 6.4s that got an instant 4mpg after dereet.. but if that is all your boss wants is just enough to tune and dereet then I would keep the stock box over the s&b.. save the money..

if you dont want to get ahold of no limit, I just did this exact mod to my ex formans 2015 but I got the race pipe and race tuner from Rudy's diesel for less then 900 bucks..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

JRLott

Reaction score
http://nolimitfabrication.com/
http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=211
[email protected]
616-460-9949

No Limit link and a link to Jim's vendor section here, as well as Jim's contact info.

This is a great place to read about tuning and tuners, but you can call NL tomorrow and have great information in about 4 minutes. They can get you anything available. There are several here that have run several different tuners, and have great input. It just takes a while to read. There's also the fact that some trucks simply don't respond like the other 99, and people's driving styles, expectations, and experience have an influence on their opinion of various tuners/tunes.

Connor M

Reaction score
Update: haven't ordered parts or done anything on this build because the truck still isn't here. A few things happened that aren't really anybody's fault but it's still frustrating.

Boss said don't call, buy, or anything until the truck is in our garage. As soon as that happens, I will call around, starting with NLF and ELS, as soon as we have the truck.

Tentative plans are egr del, *** del, cat del, lift pump, bypass filter, ccv mod, intake, tunes. Hopefully I will get some good input on what to do, but this is our starting point.

Connor M

Reaction score
Truck was delivered today, title finally showed up yesterday. Got rejected at inspection because the dealership installed a new battery this morning. Boss wants to start working on it tomorrow. Vent visors will get lost asap. 20% tint on the fronts soon. Before March it will be ******d and tuned. NLF will be my first call tomorrow.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.