2011 whistle noise when windy or over 75 mph+

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
So I was driving my truck up to Chicago the other week, got into a nice 80-82 mph streak and noticed a really annoying whistle coming from the windshield area. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

sootie

Reaction score
Try Masking tape around the windshield. I have heard of this before being rectified by replacing the window.

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
Try Masking tape around the windshield. I have heard of this before being rectified by replacing the window.

Good thinking. Didn't consider taping the window.

I think this is a non-factory windshield too, it is missing the black texture at the top by the rear view mirror.
I will try masking tape and report my results.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Yup, leaking windshields are fairly common. Only find it going around eighty in a cross or headwind though.

Stokt

Reaction score
There was a thread not too long ago where somebody said they determined the source of their whistling to be one of the side mirrors. Apparently there is a little felt piece where it folds and it had come out. He said he replaced it with the soft side of some velcro and that fixed it. I don't know, but may be worth looking at. Mine whistles too. Did it before and after I had my windshield replaced due to cracks.

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
There was a thread not too long ago where somebody said they determined the source of their whistling to be one of the side mirrors. Apparently there is a little felt piece where it folds and it had come out. He said he replaced it with the soft side of some velcro and that fixed it. I don't know, but may be worth looking at. Mine whistles too. Did it before and after I had my windshield replaced due to cracks.
This sounds interesting, do you have a link to this post? It does sound like it is coming more from the driver's side.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

TripleE44

Reaction score
My dads did this for a while. He managed to find the spot on the windshield and put a single piece of black electrical tape on it. No one would ever notice.

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
Checked mirror felt and side markers. Taped around the mirror edges and markers to be sure. They don't appear to be the culprit.

Still have yet to try taping the windshield. Process of elimination...

Will report back when I find out more!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

JD3020

Reaction score
Following this. I noticed it for the first time this morning in my '14, was on the phone on the highway and could hear a slight whistle. As soon as the call ended and radio kicked back on i couldn't hear it.

Pretty sad how poorly built these trucks are. '14 with 55k easy miles with a whistle and my passenger door panel or door is rattling. Meanwhile my 01 F-450 with 290k miles will run 75mph down a bumpy highway without a rattle, squeak, or any sort of noise coming from anywhere in the cab. I know the 6.7 is quieter so you can hear things better, but my 7.3 isn't really that loud.

Jomax

Reaction score
Following this. I noticed it for the first time this morning in my '14, was on the phone on the highway and could hear a slight whistle. As soon as the call ended and radio kicked back on i couldn't hear it.

Pretty sad how poorly built these trucks are. '14 with 55k easy miles with a whistle and my passenger door panel or door is rattling. Meanwhile my 01 F-450 with 290k miles will run 75mph down a bumpy highway without a rattle, squeak, or any sort of noise coming from anywhere in the cab. I know the 6.7 is quieter so you can hear things better, but my 7.3 isn't really that loud.

Trucks are not any less built then your 7.3. Them being quiet is why you hear everything. The windshield could have a small air gap. I'd tape it to see if this sound is truly the windshield.

Make sue you don't have crap in the door lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenz

Reaction score
I had a noise on my '11 that sounded kind of like a kazoo at 75mph plus with crosswind. Took it to a auto glass shop. He pulled the windshield and said there is a metal channel that the windshield is set in. He laid a real heavy bead of sealant all the way around the windshield. The noise stopped, must have been the metal against the glass vibrating. Cost me about $100., but the windshield can't always be removed without breaking, so be prepared to buy a new one.

marserdesigns

Reaction score

This was me.

There is felt on the top bar of the mirror, drivers side had it and no whistle...passengers side came off and that was the one that whistled like crazy!

Basically air would breeze through the little crack creating a annoying whistle...I put a thin piece of "loop" velcro where the felt was supposed to go and BINGO! fixed the whistle!

marserdesigns

Reaction score
You can see the felt in the picture and where the felt came off in the other picture

2a9a015ec025768413d5fac42b92ff84.jpg
90ff191d61e8af688ddb8ba11743e8b2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online