Toyo C/T, Nitto Exo Grappler, and Cooper STT

sagebel

Reaction score
Anyone run any of these? I need a tire that will handle snow, ice, and logging roads as well as performing well on pavement while towing. If I go with any of these I will be forced to stay at stock size. I would love a tire in 295/65r20 but there seems to be very few offerings.

JRLott

Reaction score
Toyo AT, MT, Nito mud whatever, and Cooper STT Pro are available in 295/65-20. It looks like you're wanting something between the AT and MT tires though, and there isn't much in that range. Kinda gotta go more or less aggressive. I'd jump on the Toyo RT if it came in that size, but it comes in the 35x12.50 version without quite as good load rating.

Jomax

Reaction score
Have you looked at the nitto ridge grappler?

I've ran toyo R/Ts I liked them, till this, no idea why/how it happened. They're a good tire. Just for me, I'll shy away for aWhile..

9ec9f314387ef9f84602cd61b20dd65a.jpg

c8fa2ea32ac2992c192339b71ee97f44.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Have you looked at the nitto ridge grappler?

I've ran toyo R/Ts I liked them, till this, no idea why/how it happened. They're a good tire. Just for me, I'll shy away for aWhile..

9ec9f314387ef9f84602cd61b20dd65a.jpg

c8fa2ea32ac2992c192339b71ee97f44.jpg

Dont think I have ever seen a tire quite blow apart like that before, wonder what all went down to cause it.

Jomax

Reaction score
Dont think I have ever seen a tire quite blow apart like that before, wonder what all went down to cause it.

Driving down the highway at night coming home. He felt the tire start to bounce, then boom. There was no holes in the tread from an object etc.

It's my old truck which I sold to my uncle. He was driving. Saw it the following day. It looked bad...
amazingly the bed side had very minor damage.

sagebel

Reaction score
I might wait for the 295/65r20 Ridge Grappler to come out in November. I just hesitate to buy a model that hasn't been tested in the winter yet and it's not severe winter rated. If the Exo Grappler was available in 295 I'd be all over them.

I've seen trailer tires separate like that RT but never a light truck tire. Usually due to low pressure and under max/overload conditions.

Decker

Reaction score
Mastercraft just came out with the CXT. Its suppose to be there cross between there mt and axt. I can't give any first hand experience but it is the middle of the road. I did love my cooper stt though they were great in everything but the ice. Maybe if they were slotted could of been better.

sagebel

Reaction score
1st snow happened Friday. My commute is fairly hilly and poorly plowed. Had about 3" of heavy wet snow that was compacted on the roads. Drove to work in 2wd, rear unlocked, and no weight in the bed. It took turning traction control off to get the truck loose. They have also been performing great on wet roads with all of the rain we have been getting. I should be towing New Year's weekend so I will update after that.

Cheap6.7

Reaction score
I'm running the R/T and want a more snow/wet road tire so I'm going with the C/T. I feel they will last and have a 19/32 tread depth which is as deep or deeper then some M/T out there. I feel Toyo rubber is the best for longevity but a bit to hard for ice, can't win them all.

sootie

Reaction score
I'm running the R/T and want a more snow/wet road tire so I'm going with the C/T. I feel they will last and have a 19/32 tread depth which is as deep or deeper then some M/T out there. I feel Toyo rubber is the best for longevity but a bit to hard for ice, can't win them all.

toyo mt is also nineteen thirtyseconds. If you get them professionally siped, they are pretty good on ice as well.

Big Bad 6.4

Reaction score
I'm running the Cooper STT Pro in a 295/65R20 and love them! They are a little louder than my Nitto Trail Grapplers but also bite way better in loose dirt. They seem to be wearing fairly well and I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.

sagebel

Reaction score
Made a trip over three mountain passes this weekend. Mostly compact snow and ice. Still no issues. I did get them to break loose starting uphill with TC off and the e-locker off. I guess that means only one broke loose.

sagebel

Reaction score
I am looking forward to the C/T reviews. In the end it came down to availability and the shady salesman at the local Toyo store trying to talk about something that he obviously had no idea about. I have a feeling the C/T may tow and wear better.

sagebel

Reaction score
I've pulled the TT a couple times now and these definitely handle cross winds better than the factory Michelins. I'm continued to be impressed with how well they perform in the snow and ice. I guess the next big test will be how they wear towing at max capacity in August when we move to the other Washington.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.