Help! 2001 powerstroke suddenly started running rough and blowing blueish white smoke

Rtpep2001f350

Reaction score
Please help! My 2001 powerstroke suddenly started running rough and blowing blueish smoke while idling
Please help me figure out what just happened. My 2001 f350 was high idling for 5 minutes as it was warming up...then it started to run rough and blowing blueish white smoke and sounding funny. I scanned it and I am getting p1271 "code cylinder #1 high to low side open " and p1298 " injector driver module failure ". I'm not sure where to start..also when I ran cct... I got p0269 cylinder 3 injector circuit contribution/Balance fault and p0284 cylinder 8 injector circuit contribution / Balance fault codes... any ideas?

Arisley

Reaction score
I would not worry to much about the CCT codes. Sounds like you lost a UVCH (Under Valve Cover Harness). If you replace on, just go ahead and replace both of them. Do Not get Dorman, they suck donkey balls. Preferably get them from International.

Rtpep2001f350

Reaction score
Thanks..I will start there...it was running great, then just started to billow smoke and lope..280000...injectors 80000 ago. Can the idm cause the syptoms?

dsberman94

Reaction score
Try the 50 cent mod or you may have a bad injector solenoid. Rare but I had it happen on my last set of injectors, wasn't a UVCH on those.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Would be your #1 injector, open high to low. That's where your issue is, whether it's the harness or the solenoid. I just had an issue a couple months ago where the UVCH was pulling out of the VC gasket when warm and would cause the engine to run terrible. I was losing the back one, sometimes two, injectors on the passenger side. In my case even with the 50 cent mod this was happening. I replaced with a new Ford UVCH and all good now. The previous owner of my truck was good for using the cheapest parts possible, usually from china. I suspect this was the issue in my case.

3&8 on a cct are normal depending on which CPS you have.

Last edited:

Rtpep2001f350

Reaction score
Thanks..I will check it out in the morning..I have a new Ford uvch...I will put it in and do the .50 cent mod and check out the injector. I appreciate all the help!

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
I had the high to low open on my cylinder #2 and ended up replacing the injector to get rid of it, rest of them have 342k on them now...

Keep it simple, like the others said, check the wiring/connections and go from there.