Look at amount of metal found in lower fuel bowl

Reaction score
Changed my fuel filters this morning and found this large amount of rusted metal in my bottom fuel bowl. Anyone know if this is from the hpfp? Just seems like an inredouble amount. I wouldn't think it could be from the engine but I'm not a diesel mechanic. I plan on running the gas out of the tank completely and dropping it to see what's in there it's definitely metal and it sticks to a magnet so it's not aluminum. I also did an injury balance and right after I started it cyl 7 was as at 1.9 the rest between -0.3 and 0.3, then I drove around the block and IL they all read between -0.2 and 0.2 with most at 0 or close. Let me know what you all think. Should I get another hpfp asap or could this just be from a bad batch of diesel. Also the truck still runs great and hits up to 29k on a wot run which I don't get to do often.
20170122_112557.jpg

20170122_111327.jpg

20170122_111247.jpg

Reaction score
I got it out and this is what it looked like. This is a 2011 f250 4x4 lariat with a s363 kit. I was lireally shaking getting it off I was so nervous but I hope I may have lucked up. Just don't know where this metal came from. Could it be the hpfp if the vcv is clean?
20170122_124753.jpg

20170122_124732.jpg

webb06

Reaction score
Probably just dirty fuel from the bottom of a station tank wherever you fueled up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I thought fuel was supposed to be filtered when it was being pumped into the customers tank? I also only fill up at Racetrack and Qt stations and I mean only. I can't remember the last time I went somewhere else. Mainlyl because I think they'd be more likely to have clean fuel. I guess not.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
That type of debris is exactly where I'd want it to be, in the FCM. People freak when they see water in there as well... That's where it's supposed to be. Granted we all love to have perfect fuel, but when we can't get that, this is where we would find this debris

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Damn. I hope it works out for you. I would've pooped my pants seeing that in there. I have a 275 gallon tank that I fill out of at home that eases my mind on this stuff. Then you know the amount of filtration and quality of fuel. Every time. I encourage everyone I know to have a tank at home whenever possible.

Reaction score
I drained the separator like 2 weeks ago and didn't get anything then and after letting it sit for a day I saw just a small bead of water. While doing the filter I noticed the water separator sensor had no rust whatsoever. Completely metal looking. Which makes me think these metal pieces came from somewhere else.

DieselDog

Reaction score
Poor fuel source ouch.
All I can say is make sure you use Motorcraft filters or if there is a company that compares or makes a better filter. I have seen alot of aftermarket filters allow that debris by and damage fuel system components.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
That's definitely a good sign, it's just a good idea to check. I get seeing debris, but metal is out of the ordinary.

Reaction score
Last time I did the filters I saw just a little bit of debris but this time I was like oh sh!t! I always use the Motorcraft filters. There may be better one's but I'd rather not chance it.

T_W6.7

Reaction score
There should be filtration on the pumps when you pump it into your tank, but who is supposed to maintain those pumps filters? I've never seen anyone changing the filters, and we all know what a filter that's full of crap does once it fills up with crap- it bypasses or stops flowing, I'm guessing most stations filters are the bypass type

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Yes you are correct that once the fuel station filter become full they bypass. Trust me yall have no idea what types of fuels yall are getting in your tanks. Having worked in petrochemical for 12 years you see lots of things that will make you cringe. I only fill up at two different stations in my area thats it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

DieselDog

Reaction score
Yes you are correct that once the fuel station filter become full they bypass. Trust me yall have no idea what types of fuels yall are getting in your tanks. Having worked in petrochemical for 12 years you see lots of things that will make you cringe. I only fill up at two different stations in my area thats it.

That's bull**** that these stations have such poor maintenence. How can anybody hold them responsible for **** fuel damaging your truck. You pay them top dollar get poor fuel economy and possible damage fuel system but other then receipts you have will a hard time proving they supplied you with the **** fuel that damage your engine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

04cr450

Reaction score
SCary stuff to hear isn't it? I always worry when filling up. Have been for years, it is what it is though. Just go to a station that is constantly busy and you will decrease the chances of bad fuel.
I only fill up when I go into town, never around my area where not alot of traffic is.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
I can say that the tanks with the strictest regulations on fuel loading, mixing, and contamination is in this order, Conoco Phillips, Valero, and Murphy USA. I have seen all drivers reject loads due to inadequate specifications. All use marking tape all use inspection tape. Inspection tape means there is a seal around the loading nozzles letting us know that the truck tank has been visually and or internally inspected to be clean and free of trash and contaminates. It is ok to load new fuel into that compartment. Small mom and pop shops just use whoever to load their tanks unless the are franchised. I have seen the same driver get loaded for diesel, heavy number 4, then diesel, followed by npso light ends, all in the same tank. Make a drop and come back for each different grade. I KNOW that tank car was not cleaned and inspected after each drop, no tape and the tank was still black from the heavy number 4.

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
I can say that the tanks with the strictest regulations on fuel loading, mixing, and contamination is in this order, Conoco Phillips, Valero, and Murphy USA. I have seen all drivers reject loads due to inadequate specifications. All use marking tape all use inspection tape. Inspection tape means there is a seal around the loading nozzles letting us know that the truck tank has been visually and or internally inspected to be clean and free of trash and contaminates. It is ok to load new fuel into that compartment. Small mom and pop shops just use whoever to load their tanks unless the are franchised. I have seen the same driver get loaded for diesel, heavy number 4, then diesel, followed by npso light ends, all in the same tank. Make a drop and come back for each different grade. I KNOW that tank car was not cleaned and inspected after each drop, no tape and the tank was still black from the heavy number 4.
Thats interesting,When I got a bad tank of fuel from Wal-mart,one Particular person on this forum(BIG HAT NO CATTLE),said it was because Walmarts fuel cost less,so the quality was NOT as good.Ty for your usefull info

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Every gas station in about a 60 mile radius fills up at the same spot. We have the larget filling station and all the other petro plants ship to us. We fill the tanks and add other proprietary blends of chemicals to each batch. Its all the same base cut there is no difference in quality. Now once it leaves our pipes it it the the stations to maintain fuel quality. On that part i can not speak of. But going off of how the driver's maintain there personal tank truck i feel as though the stations would somewhat the same basic practices set in place by the company.

Latest posts

Members online