Dead pedal going down the highway today....Help!

chaselee

Reaction score
I've been working with Tyrant on tunes that won't throw codes because of the NL stage 2 intake because apparently my truck is a picky bastard. He sent me a test tune last week and all has been well. Tons of power, no check engine lights etc.

A bit ago I was one the way to work down a fairly remote stretch of highway, I decided to lean on it. It was pulling hard when it 100 mph the truck jerked and the pedal went dead. At first I thought maybe he forgot to take off the speed limiter, but the truck was decelerating and the pedal was dead although still running. So I coasted off the road and as soon as I got to about 15-20 mph the truck died. I turned the key off for a few seconds and it fired right up with no CEL. I drove it the remaining 10 or so miles to work with no problems.

I'm lost so any input is appreciated.

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Sounds like you drained the fuel rail and it shut down on you. I might be wrong though. I have heard of this type of thing happening on a hot tune. Have you checked for codes even though no CEL?

chaselee

Reaction score
Would draining the fuel rail not recover once you let off the throttle though? I have not pulled codes, I had to come on in to work. Good ole graveyards.

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
If that is the problem, every case I have read about did a shut down, fired off and ran fine. All of them happened after running hard at wide open throttle. Haven't seen it brought up in a while, maybe because most tuners have tuned it out. I know Cale is relatively new to tuning the 6.7, so just maybe. I don't really know the in and out of how the tuning is written so I could be way off base. I'm running his tunes on my XRT and they are top notch as far as I am concerned.

chaselee

Reaction score
Yeah I love his tunes, it just took us a while to get the codes to go away being caused by the extra flow of the NL intake. I sent him a text asking if he had tweaked anything else in this "test tune' that I'm running now because this has never happened on his Xtreme tune before.

God I hope my pump isn't starting to give out at 50k!

chaselee

Reaction score
I hope so. And I rarely drive like that, but Cale had asked me about the power and I saw an opportunity so I let er rip.

chaselee

Reaction score
Sterling 6.7 was right. I got a call back from Cale a bit ago and he told me that's exactly what happened. He said that the band width on the extreme tune is so close to the edge of what the pump will do that it may do that. Said that every time he's seen this happen was just over 100 mph. Not a big deal, since I rarely beat on my truck like this. I'm scared of breaking sh!T. Lol. He's going to see if it can be adjusted a little and not rob power.

Btw, for anyone that has not had the pleasure of dealing with Cale at Tyrant diesel you are simply missing out. This guy has been nothing but patient with my picky ass truck and has worked through every problem without complaint. He can be hard to get in touch with from time to time but he's a busy busy man and he WILL get back with you. Plus it doesn't hurt that his tunes are badass.