Anyone use softride springs?

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
95 F350. 4x4

My truck rode pretty decent stock. I wanted to lift it. The internet talked me into an RSK.

So I did a 4" lift with factory springs. Ride did not change. I spent a lot of time making sure the geometry was correct and making changes but still the ride was never improved over stock.

This was before everyone started saying use SD or x code springs.

The truck seems to eat up front springs. I am getting some movement in my bushings again and the springs are worn out. Bumps try to slingshot you to the moon. Steering wanders while turning.

I want to lower the truck before I get too old to do the work. Try to restore some handling.

My dilemma is new OEM springs again or 2" soft ride.

Anyone use soft ride ever? have good or bad experience?
I love the idea of an extra leaf, improved spring rate and powder coated parts.

I believe one of the reasons for lack of improvement with RSk was because of the almost flat spring. A flat spring doesn't really get longer or shorter when it bends so it cannot take full advantage of the rear pivot point.

But installing an arched lift spring will be a completely different animal and I wonder if it will actually ride worse, even though it is a "soft ride" spring.

No I am not installing 05+ axles, my ride is that good now and my turning radius is fine.
Besides this thing is strange enough, don't need more odd things to remember about it.

Denver

Reaction score
What psi are you running in your tires? In my 3/4 ton I run 55 psi front and 70 psi in the rear. E rated tires and rides pretty well and wears flat. Couple times when I have to get a tire patched at a repair place they'll air all the tires to 80 psi and it rides terrible compared to the 55/70 psi.

LovesDunes

Reaction score
I don't know where you are in the world, but Deaver in California can make you some great springs.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
Does someone make “softride” springs for a stock OBS F-350? I have some definite ideas but I’d like to see what you found first.

Skyjacker is about the only game I see for 2" lift.

What psi are you running in your tires? In my 3/4 ton I run 55 psi front and 70 psi in the rear.

Tires are a huge part of it I agree. I do lower the psi when just bumming around town but up it for mpg on road trips or towing. That is another part of my long term equation. I have 2 of the 4 tires will not keep from moving on the rim. One front one and one back one. I might have got one of them stopped. But it sucks you spend so much time truing a tire, go get it balanced and it moves on the rim. That is a whole other issue that infuriates me. Grinding and center punching the bead area with High Tack seems to work the best but over time my front one still wiggled around on the rim a little throwing the balance off.

I don't know where you are in the world, but Deaver in California can make you some great springs.

Heard good things about deaver. I am open to it. Just wondered it anyone had actually used something considered to be designed for a softer ride or is it all just a gimmick.

At this point I know I would be happier with the solid OEM ride and handling. Just exploring if there is something better before I jump into it.

I may end up trying a set. At that point I will be back to all OEM hangers and sway bars. Dropping an OEM spring in later would be easy.

Denver

Reaction score
There is a give and take with tire pressure. I understand the mileage part but there is also the wear part. Over inflating wears the centers and excels wear on the fronts. I've found the 55/70 psi is a good middle point. Tires wearing flat and a good ride. The fronts due wear roundish but still better than cupping.

If you plan on installing new custom leaf springs I would go with Deaver out of Santa Ana or National Spring out of San Diego. Both make multi leaf packs but the leafs are thinner so the ride is better. One thing though I've read over the years is Deavers will settle and Nationals don't settle.

A reason the OBS leaf springs ride rough is because they aren't equal length from mounting pin in the middle to the bushings. I think one side is 2"-3" longer. The SD leafs are equal length and provide a bit better ride.

brewer

Reaction score
Did I read it right that you used X code springs? X codes are from the Snow Plow package, they will ride rough.
If you did use the X's, V codes will ride much better, or even get U codes if you want it super soft (but you will loose 2-3" of height vs the X's).
My V-Codes on 35's ride about the same or even softer than my stock '19 F350 on 33's.

I wouldn't even consider Skyjacker if I wanted "soft" springs - that's just a marketing thing. I think outside of the other code springs I listed above, your only other best options are the two spring shops in CA that were previously mentioned.

If you want a soft ride on these trucks with a stock-ish height, I would go with the smallest RSK (2-2.5") and a V code or even a U code.

Last edited:

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
Did I read it right that you used X code springs? X codes are from the Snow Plow package, they will ride rough.

No I did not use SD springs, I did my rsk before that was a thing.

I may just go back to oem. Stock height. Stock tires. Better mpg anyway. Still change my mind almost every day.

Latest posts

Members online