7.3 Engine Build Disaster

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Great! No issues at all. Motor has about 50k on it now.

I have a list a mile long of things I need to fix, but no time. Just little things, passanger side mirror light is not working, train horns are not working, U-joint is going out, peak recall not working, drivers window slow... just **** that comes up with over 300k on a truck... LOL

TyCorr

Reaction score
Great! No issues at all. Motor has about 50k on it now.

I have a list a mile long of things I need to fix, but no time. Just little things, passanger side mirror light is not working, train horns are not working, U-joint is going out, peak recall not working, drivers window slow... just **** that comes up with over 300k on a truck... LOL

Yea. Im in the same boat. Im only at 260k but never really had to do much. After the thing sitting two different times, its taken its toll. Trucks ran hard for ten years dont like to be parked abruptly. Worst thing for it.

Black 02

Reaction score
I'm running a Gearhead stage one cam. My 72mm turbo lights super quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. I'll see what all is wrong with the engine and then make a decision. I've already got a small fortune into this piece of crap. I might as well spend a little more.

DocBar

Reaction score
Especially when you are forced to do it twice! :fustrate::fustrate::fustrate:
That's one of the reasons I chose DI to build my motor and I'm glad I quit using their tunes. Maybe the tunes are better now, but the motor is still running strong!!

Black 02

Reaction score
That's one of the reasons I chose DI to build my motor and I'm glad I quit using their tunes. Maybe the tunes are better now, but the motor is still running strong!!

Yep... You made the right choice. I was down between DI, Swamps, and the local guy. Near the end, I was stuck between Swamps and the local guy. Nothing against Lott, but Swamps was going to run the engine on the stand and they also block filled the bottom end of it. Ultimately, everyone knows who I chose. I picked the local to me guy because I figured what good is an engine warranty when the shop is 3500 miles away from me.

I am an engineer by trade and I analyze things thoroughly. This has been one time in my life that I couldn't have made a worse decision. Several times, David Armstrong told me exactly what the builder screwed up and he was right after I looked into it. This entire process wouldn't have taken almost 2.5 years and I wouldn't have spent almost $17k on an engine that only lasted 4000 miles.

It's extremely tough to have any trust in a diesel shop... especially after my experiences. Between phone calls not being returned to just flat out bad experiences, I'm starting to think I should have just done this myself. Lots of "bros" out there starting shops that are great at putting stacks on a truck or chips and intakes to oral teh cole, but not maybe people who truly are diesel mechanics that are in my area that are trust worthy. Lots of people who say they can build an engine, but have zero experience actually building one that lasts. Sometimes I wish I lived in Tennessee or somewhere out there. Seems like a lot more trust worthy resources out there.

Black 02

Reaction score
what did the issue end up being? rod install?

The rods were installed correctly. The #2 cylinder rod bearing was completely gone. There wasn't anything left to even analyze. The rod and crank is toast. The head had a crack in the valve seat area as well. The oil pump was toast, the cam and lifters are messed up from all of the metal running through the engine. Obviously, I need a new oil cooler as well. He said it appeared that the main caps were working longitudinally as well. Said the other bearings weren't terrible, but the #2 was gone. Nothing left of it.

Seems pretty fishy to me after only 3500 miles.

So, I need a crank, cam and lifters, new rod and piston, maybe a new head, new bearings, new oil pump, new oil cooler, and what ever else I'm missing.

He is going to work up some numbers and get back to me.

FML :fustrate::fustrate::fustrate::fustrate:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.