Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Power Strokes > 94-97 Tech

Old 10-11-2018, 06:15 PM
Private
Member's Gallery

Default Battery light

Hey guys, so the battery light on my dash is flashing when I have my accessories turned OFF. I can't seem to figure out why. My alternator and batteries are both new and it's still doing it. If I turn my headlights on, or my ac AND radio, or my KC lights, it stops flashing though. I'm stumped. Any ideas? Sometimes if I have everything off but have either my Ac or my radio (just one) on it will still flash but it's weaker and more intermittent. Then when I turn both on it stops just like it does when I turn the headligts or kc's on. If all the accessories are off it will also stop flashing when I open the door and the dome light comes on. It will also stop or weaken if I lower my power windows. It seems like it just flashes until I put a load on the system, then it realizes there's power and stops flashing. Not sure how to locate the issue. Anyone else dealt with this before?
Old 10-11-2018, 06:48 PM
General
Member's Gallery

Check all the grounds to the block and back of the heads. And retest batteries and alternator. Even if new like you said.

live life full throttle
god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass
Old 10-11-2018, 09:22 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

I do have to ask does anyone know the total of grounds there are to check . A little bit of a smartass question but knowing electical and what i know of these trucks what (in my own terms) would your main, primary, secondary and ancillary grounds be.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2018, 10:17 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

There was some goofy thing about brake lights on some of the OBS trucks too sometimes, I remember
someone mentioned that in the past. May be something to check to verify they are
good bulbs.
2k, F350 SuperCruzer, 7.3L Diesel, Auto trans, 4x4, GH Tunes w/160/30s, S&B cold air intake, 4-inch turbo-back exhaust, Garrett 38r, Adrenaline HPOP, BTS Transmission w/6.0 cooler, Swamps IDM(broke, back to stock), AIC, in-tank and pre-pump mod, Heater valve mod, X-car sound panel mod
Old 10-12-2018, 10:25 AM
Private
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmd View Post
There was some goofy thing about brake lights on some of the OBS trucks too sometimes, I remember
someone mentioned that in the past. May be something to check to verify they are
good bulbs.
Do you mean the brake lights on the rear of the truck? Or the parking brake and abs lights on the dash?
Old 10-12-2018, 01:59 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Rear of the truck, or the interior light. One of those could cause some strange grounding issues on one era of truck. Going from memory of an article i read.

Just a thing to check
2k, F350 SuperCruzer, 7.3L Diesel, Auto trans, 4x4, GH Tunes w/160/30s, S&B cold air intake, 4-inch turbo-back exhaust, Garrett 38r, Adrenaline HPOP, BTS Transmission w/6.0 cooler, Swamps IDM(broke, back to stock), AIC, in-tank and pre-pump mod, Heater valve mod, X-car sound panel mod
Old 10-12-2018, 02:44 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Have you tested the output of the alternator at idle with everything off and then with things turned on. I'm betting that the alternator is putting out too much voltage.
96 F250 4x4 XLT, 5 speed, 4:10 rear end, gauges, Dale's HX hose, Dale's Tymar, downpipe, coolant filter, add a leaf, Luc clutch
Old 10-12-2018, 05:03 PM
Private
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
Have you tested the output of the alternator at idle with everything off and then with things turned on. I'm betting that the alternator is putting out too much voltage.
I checked it at idle with everything off and it was fluctuating between 14.7 and 15. Didn't check with everything on. The battery light was flashing with the old alternator though too...
Old 10-12-2018, 06:05 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Then I would say that there is a wiring problem between the light and the plug on the alternator or it is the alternator.

The exciter voltage for the alternator goes through that light. If you pull the battery light out the alternator will not charge the battery.

Have you don't any wiring where you might of connected something into the wire from the light for 12 volts?
96 F250 4x4 XLT, 5 speed, 4:10 rear end, gauges, Dale's HX hose, Dale's Tymar, downpipe, coolant filter, add a leaf, Luc clutch
Old 10-12-2018, 06:46 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Does the light also indicate voltage that is too high?

Rusty