New LPOP Now Surging

Jtreece

Reaction score
No, it will start hot and cold every time! Usually my crank time is 1-3 seconds hot or cold. The new LPOP I put in came with a new cover so I know its not scared. But the big cover I can't say because we didn't pull it. When we get the truck up to operating temp and take it on the highway it starts to surge and oil pressure is all over the place according to the IPR almost like it is aerating. We put a manual gauge on a buddies 6.0 and his base oil PSI was 30-35 and mines 12-14psi. I don't get it. would a cracked pick up tube cause these issues?

bismic

Reaction score
Is your oil filter an OEM filter with an OEM cap? If not, you may not be depressing the oil filter housing drain valve enough to close it.

Zeb

Reaction score
Is your oil filter an OEM filter with an OEM cap? If not, you may not be depressing the oil filter housing drain valve enough to close it.

If the drain valve wasn’t depressed it could cause an extended crank, but I don’t think it would affect oil pressure that drastically.
I think the OP should pull the lpop out and check the condition of the front cover. If it’s scored I would change it before pulling the motor.

Jtreece

Reaction score
it has aftermarket cap for oil filter bypass but OEM filter. its had that cap on it since I bought it. it just now started doing the surging so I doubt its the cap/filter. The LPOP is new and so is the small cover, BUT the main front cover is coming off soon like you said Zeb. I'm willing to bet it is scared up since I keep losing pressure somewhere.

bismic

Reaction score
Have you pulled the regulator to see if any debris is stuck in it?

If there was scarring, you should have seen it on the front cover when you pulled the LPOP gears for replacement.

Jtreece

Reaction score
yes pulled the regulator and no debris, when we pulled the old LPOP gears and cover plate, gears has some marks and a small crack on one gear and the small front plate was scared and had some grooves.

bismic

Reaction score
If the lpop had big enough debris thru it to crack the gear, I’m almost certain the front (main) cover is scored pretty badly.

Certainly don't disagree, but it should have been visible when the gears were pulled.

Jtreece

Reaction score
Front engine cover was grooved bad. Also pulled. Oil cooler and HPOP, oil pan and plate. Checked everything. So far it looks like the issue is the front cover. Will send an update when the new gaskets/seals get here and put back together. Also putting in a new oil cooler, ipr and all new fluids.

Jtreece

Reaction score
Shoot me a text bismic. I’ll send you pics it won’t let me upload them. 5808510023

Jtreece

Reaction score
The grooves in the front cover were deep enough to put your fingernail in on the top and bottom. I was able to get another front cover off a test motor that only had 3k miles on it and it looks brand new. The screen under the oil cooler was clean as well which surprised me. So hopefully we found the problem. Were pretty sure this has been the main issue all along. Sorry it has taken me so long to get this far but we just got done with plant shutdown so its been a couple very long weeks.

Jtreece

Reaction score
Also found out why my pickup was running hotter than normal. The water pump was the old style 90mm pump instead of the updated 100mm impeller. The new cover excepts the 100mm so that's where I'm headed. Its cold here now so it will get changed in about a month or so...

Jtreece

Reaction score
Well, got it all back together last night, took it out on the highway and got it up to temp. LPOP pressure is where it needs to be and no codes. letting it set over night to see if there are any leaks. Next week its getting the new 100mm upgraded water pump. My deltas were 1 most of the time and hit 2 for a split second doing 70.

Latest posts

Members online