cracked front cover

oldschool

Reaction score
I've got a 1996 leaking water. This is the second one and was wondering if anyone else had this problem or I'm just lucky. It's cracked right behind the top oil cooler mounting threaded hole.

frontcover011.jpg

the crack makes a "L" shape, runs along the water port then goes up to the thread.
Any Ideas? Just resealed the oil cooler, as it had been leaking oil. This winter had a water leak when it was cold, but dried up after it ran a while. Thought it might be the water pump, but after I cleaned the area, maybe it was this leaking? Sucks, cause I gotta pull the engine again!

Last edited:

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I've never seen one crack like that... Not really sure what could cause it other then vibration.

oldschool

Reaction score
I've never seen one crack like that... Not really sure what could cause it other then vibration.

Like I said, this is the second one i've had. Both in the same truck with different engines. Thought maybe a bad design, that's why I'd thought I'd ask if anyone else had problems. If not, I don't know. If it was bad motor mounts, would see it hitting somewhere, and it would torque the other way, oil cooler is on the left side. Got me stumpped. Funny it started to leak after the cooler re-seal? didn't impact bolts, all were hand tightened, didn't feel anything strange going together?

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
well, if it cracked after you did the cooler, I'd think that you probably Hydraulic'd it when you tightened
the bolts.....
wouldn't take much oil-water-crud in there to crack that little aluminum housing ....

sucks....

oldschool

Reaction score
well, if it cracked after you did the cooler, I'd think that you probably Hydraulic'd it when you tightened
the bolts.....
wouldn't take much oil-water-crud in there to crack that little aluminum housing ....

sucks....

dont think so, the top bolt hole goes all the way through. and everything was hand tightened. the new cover in that area is a lot heavier and the bolt hole is blind. I i think is was seeping before the cooler re-seal. there was some accumulation of coolant when it was cold, thought that it might be the cooler, but after looking how the cooler is sealed, coolant can't leak externaly from the seals. the water pump weep hole showed no sign of leaking.

Last edited:

bad12jr

Reaction score
I had mine crack. I think it was a bad run of castings personally. I swapped to a 2001 cover,pan and pickup. It has a brace cast into it right there. From what I can tell it was late 95 early 96 models from the others I've seen of peoples cracking. I'm going to try and weld my 96 up whenever I get a tig for aluminum.
And when I had the leak I resealed the oil cooler first before finding the crack. Should have just pulled the motor first but oh well. To close to get a welder in without pulling as well.

Sent from my x2 chillin in the middle of no where

Last edited:

oldschool

Reaction score
I had mine crack. I think it was a bad run of castings personally. I swapped to a 2001 cover,pan and pickup. It has a brace cast into it right there. From what I can tell it was late 95 early 96 models from the others I've seen of peoples cracking. I'm going to try and weld my 96 up whenever I get a tig for aluminum.
And when I had the leak I resealed the oil cooler first before finding the crack. Should have just pulled the motor first but oh well. To close to get a welder in without pulling as well.

that's what I'm lean towards is bad casting. The new one I got is a little beefier in that area and the thread is a blind hole. I'm thinking the crack started at the area on top where the threads come out. I didn't know about the two years having problems though. good to know. So any latter model front cover will work, just may have to change pickup tube? The only thing i'm woundering about for welding is do you think it coluld cause warp? I'm gonna try on the old cover since i've nothing to lose now. and maybe feef it up a little at the same time.

bad12jr

Reaction score
The 01 cover pickup was on the opposite side of the pan which requires the newer pan as well. It will interchange no problem to the 96.

TRUBBS

Reaction score
I know this is a super old thread, and not many guys frequent the forums anymore (honestly is a shame, I found these to be a HUGE help when I was learning) but did we ever figure out the cause of these in 96’s?
I have the exact same issue as the OP.
2 covers cracked in the exact same spot a year apart in the same truck.

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Mine cracked in this exact spot

attachment.php

Right through the water passage into the mounting bolt, leaked between the cover and the block.

Mine was unfortunately because the engine builder who had it, dropped the my motor on the oil cooler and broke the front adapter that bolts the cooler to the cover. They didnt notice the cover cracked at the same time and tried to blame it on me. I ended up having to buy a new cover and replacing it on my own time.

This is the first I've heard of it happening to someone else though.

Attachments

• 20170219_122734.jpg
    20170219_122734.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 170

TRUBBS

Reaction score
Unfortunately I think yours might have been A bad coincidence, being a 96 and seeing that’s where all these cracked covers are from, I’d almost bet it was cracking(ed) on its own and the drop only solidified it.
Not sure what it is about this short run cover but seams fairly common from the research I’ve done

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
I just wish I would've know I could've put there SD cover, pickup and pan on instead. I definitely would have gone that route

Reaction score
My 96 cracked in that exact spot. It was the reason I pulled the engine. The new engine has a new cover. I think it is the casting design combined with the fact we have a 3” hydraulic cylinder pushing on it with 50 psi.

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
My 96 cracked in that exact spot. It was the reason I pulled the engine. The new engine has a new cover. I think it is the casting design combined with the fact we have a 3” hydraulic cylinder pushing on it with 50 psi.

This makes a lot of sense!

TRUBBS

Reaction score

Mix that with Hot/cold cycles and vibrations is definitely a combination for a stress crack.

Going to SD swap this one & send her on it’s marry way

Latest posts

Members online