Towing with short bed

Jeremy t

Reaction score
I have a short bed 2013 f350 I’m in the market for a 5th wheel toy hauler. I was told by a gentleman that since my truck is a 1 ton I can lock the slider hitch in the back position so I wouldn’t have to worry about tight turns. I’m not sure if this guy is blowing smoke or not. I’m curious to know if I should trade the truck in for a long bed or if I can just keep this one.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Lots of people tow fifth wheels with short beds. Mines a long bed, with a b&w companion hitch, so its fixed, im not much help on the slider part. Not sure if id want that much weight behind the axle though. Probably just unlock and slide it back for parking maneuvers and whatnot. Most turns you'll be making on the road arent tight enough to do any damage.

gotchadollar

Reaction score
I have a turn over ball with the Anderson hitch. It was worth every penny. It tows quite, no metal on metal like the 5th wheel hitches, also i can still utilize my bed because the Anderson only weighs about 45lbs. I tow my 5th wheel with a short bed, no problems at all.

Last edited:

Jeremy t

Reaction score
My truck have the factory bed hitch I have the gooseneck ball just not sure if it would be safe to pull a 45 ft trailer with the gooseneck hitch. I’m not new to towing just never towed a 5th wheel or something that long and heavy. Haven’t purchased the trailer yet but it’s in the near future.

sootie

Reaction score
My truck have the factory bed hitch I have the gooseneck ball just not sure if it would be safe to pull a 45 ft trailer with the gooseneck hitch. I’m not new to towing just never towed a 5th wheel or something that long and heavy. Haven’t purchased the trailer yet but it’s in the near future.
It would be a ton safer than towing it with a bumper hitch!

6.0 Tech

Reaction score

Only thing i have heard with putting a gooseneck adapter on a fifth wheel, is that overtime it will crack the frame of the trailer, as the neck of the trailer isnt reinforced enough to have all the weight on such a small spot. Although, i did see a buddies ads fifth wheel neck crack using a fifth wheel hitch. So it may be more based on the trailer than how you actually tow it :shrug:

wyoostroker

Reaction score
i have the same andersen hitch as above. i use it pulling a 37ft fifth wheel camper. the rv store would not let me install a gooseneck adapter because of the amount of the torque involved on the neck of the trailer.

overall, i actually like using the hitch. it is pretty simple to operate and can be installed or removed very easy.

Jason

Reaction score
I have a buddy that pulls a montana 5th wheel with a short bed. Well, he has a long bed and a short bed, but the trailer has a curved nose, and he can get pretty sharp with it, no 90° turns, but it dpes fine in most all situations.

Koda22

Reaction score
unless your trying to do something super crazy, i doubt you will really ever need to slide the hitch back....i pull with my short bed all the time, I do have a slider, and i think ive unlocked it maybe twice.....most of your corner are gonna be wide enough you wont need it.

My09Ride

Reaction score
I've been pull this thing since I bought it in 2010 w/ a Reese Slider, and have never had to slide it in any situation. Not saying I may not have to. So far so Good. Just a little F-250

Latest posts

Members online