Best first diesel

Fixemall

Reaction score
One last question is there a certain year 7.3 that is better than the others?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I'm sure 01 and newer get hated on for being PMR but I wouldn't let that you turn down a clean one. I have one and it's been beat to piss and still continues to be

Reaction score
PMR isn't an issue unless you're making big power. imo I've had every iteration of the 7.3 from 89 to 01 and they're all work horses. 94.5 to 97 and 99 to 03 are all solid trucks and differences between the trucks within a generation is minimal from my experience and research.

Fixemall

Reaction score
I'm sure 01 and newer get hated on for being PMR but I wouldn't let that you turn down a clean one. I have one and it's been beat to piss and still continues to be

Okay thanks for the comment I really appreciate all the input

mcnance865

Reaction score
You will definitely want a crew cab. I kick myself everyday for not wanting one when I bought the truck about 12 years ago. The back seat is really only good for small children and throwing some junk back there, plus trying to load it is a pain because the suicide door does not swing all the way back to the bed like newer trucks.

As far as years, if you are planning to get into the 500 to to 500+ rwhp range, then a year 2000 would be the best due to forged rods and quirks from the E99/L99 worked out.

m j

Reaction score
GEM modules are what keep me hating the SD and 05+
work truck is an 01 7.3 and we have an 05 6.0 money pit here in the driveway.

for the $$ the 6.0 ate a 7.3 would be faster then you need,
not sure how someone can say you need deep pockets to make a powerful 7.3 while comparing it to a 6.0 where you need deep pockets to keep it stock

Denver

Reaction score
Is there any suggestions on whether I should look for a extended cab long bed or a 4dr long or short pros and cons or is it more personal preference

Get the crewcab. I have both a supercab and crewcab. The supercab is noisy and the doors move. All the paint is worn off where the weather stripping contacts the inside of the door. It happens on crewcabs as well but not nearly as bad. My supercab has the door seal mod and is still noisier and has more air draft than my crewcab that doesn't have the door seal mod.

One last question is there a certain year 7.3 that is better than the others?

2000 and prior have stronger rods in the engine. 2002-03 have nicer interior. Since the newest 7.3 is already approaching 16 years old I would take the first one you like regardless of model year.

Fixemall

Reaction score
Okay so I am looking at a 1997 f250 hd 4dr short bed it has 356 thousand miles on the body 150k on the rebuilt engine and 1000 on the rebuilt trans. What do y'all think of it
d5252957edf20fd4cadeefd259b79da8.jpg

Latest posts

Members online