P1291 code 11 6.7

7.3obs

Reaction score
So I bought this truck a little while ago. 30000 miles on it. I love the 6.7, towing is unreal with it. Very happy with it. When I bought it I went for the extended warranty. I recently have been having trouble with the truck cutting out when I hit a good bump. Roads suck around where I live. Sometimes it’ll spit a little and be fine, other times it’ll fall on its face and go into limp mode I’m guessing.

I have to put the truck in neutral and turn the truck off, start it back up and it’s fine. It’s done it a couple times and at first I pulled over and put it in park and the truck idled like crap, sounded horrible. Started back up like I said and the truck runs perfect. Sometimes doesn’t throw the CEL light othertimes it will. Turn the truck off for a night and the CEL light is off. I pulled the code and it threw P1291. From the reading I have done it’s def in the fuel or an injector short wiithin the harness. I’m guess it’s a short because out only acts up when I hit a good bump in the road and I certainly haven’t put deff in the fuel tank.

The reason I’m asking about this is because the dealer I went through is kinda @$$hats for working on people’s vehicles. I don’t want to go into the dealer and have them try to pull some bs on me. Am I on the right track with the short in the harness or injector? These motors are so clustered with the egr and what not. I’m glad I opted for the extended warranty but when that’s out I’m ******** this thing and getting some mpd diesel piping under the hood to clean it up. I hate bringing my stuff anywhere to have it fixed.

Looking for some info on the code because like I said, dealer is shifty and I don’t want to get shafted when I bring it in. Enlighten me!

BigRed97

Reaction score
Here. Simple enough

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180620-114737_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180620-114737_Chrome.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 460
  • Screenshot_20180620-114807_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180620-114807_Chrome.jpg
    721.9 KB · Views: 413
  • Screenshot_20180620-114815_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180620-114815_Chrome.jpg
    772.5 KB · Views: 382
  • Screenshot_20180620-114825_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180620-114825_Chrome.jpg
    892.4 KB · Views: 363
  • Screenshot_20180620-114832_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180620-114832_Chrome.jpg
    918.1 KB · Views: 401

7.3obs

Reaction score
Checking back in.

So I brought the truck into the dealer and they pulled the code. Did a system check and everything passed. Couldn’t do anything as I expected. Brought it back with it running like trash and they diagnosed it. Passenger front right injector missing, center two on drivers side missing and back injector on passenger side missing as well. Ford replaced all 8 injectors and truck has been fine since. Thank god I went for the extended warranty!

7.3obs

Reaction score
Opening this one back up, truck was fine for a little while, no miss. One day I was driving it and it stumbled again. Not happy. But it wouldn’t go full out running like a turd and no check engine light. So I couldn’t do a darn thing with the dealer. Lastnight I went up to camp and I got stuck on my way out. So I’m going back and forth trying to rock out of the snow and it started to chatter, axles trying to grab. I just about got it out and it started running to chit. I got it out. Turned truck off, started back up which makes the issue go away. Got out to main road and it did the same just hitting a bump. Put it in neutral killed motor, started back up and put back into drive. Just about home and I hit another bump and back to running like crap. So this morning I go out, start truck up and let it warm up a little. Off to dealer. Get in town and I hit a manhole cover and it started running like crap. Perfect! Limped it to dealer and they pulled codes, same code as last time and I told the guy that pulled the codes that they did all 8 injectors last time and I’m back, he said sounds electrical.

Soo the whole deal with hitting a bump and the truck starts missing just like it did last time which was two cylinders on drivers side, two on passenger side, I forget exactly which ones it was but I’m thinking the injector harness has an issue. I have an appointment in the 23rd to have their head tech check on it because the dealer doesn’t have a diesel tech right now. I’m sure they will just start throwing parts at it now. If they change the injector harness great. But at the same time why would it miss and clear up when I hit a bump and sometimes miss and stay missing until it’s turned off and started again. Truck has 45k on it now.

I’m glad I got the extended warranty on this thing! I do love the truck but damn. I’ll post back.

7.3obs

Reaction score
Little more update. So I’ve had the “drive to clean exhaust cluster f**k filter” come up and I don’t drive far to work everyday, I go to town to fill up or get stuff from time to time but it’s not far enough to clean it out so when I have it stay on I take a trip to a town an hour away and hangout with some buddies. Today I did that. Has to turn the truck off about 5 times between home and there. But it sputtered a couple times and when it does, once the message comes up “cleaning exhaust system” if I hit a bump and misses a little, won’t go full running like chit and causing me to throw it in neutral and killing the truck and starting it again like it usually does. But with that little miss and then running fine, the message will come up “drive to clean” right in the middle of a regen. Is this an egr problem or pcm or injector harness issue. Been thinking about starting the truck getting it to operating temps and pull it in the garage and start wiggling wires.

This is getting on my nerves, my damn obs trucks id trust more than this thing lately...

7.3obs

Reaction score
So brought the truck to dealer today, currently they have no diesel tech. And what the head tech found out was that the wiring harness was rubbing on the egr cooler, something ford suggested to look into, don’t know why they didn’t when they did injectors. I have yet to drive it much to see if this fixed the issue but he said a wire was rubbed through. I hope this fixed my issue. If not, back to dealer, if it did, I got all 8 injectors replaced either way under warranty! I’ll include some pictures. Can see where the harness was rubbing against the cooler and I believe the harness runs to the injectors just from the little time I took from checking it out.

I hope this helps anyone else with bumps and running like trash. Once the warranty is out, egr cooler is going in the trash!!

Attachments

• C87346DD-6133-4BA9-A822-A3614CBB03D3.jpg
    C87346DD-6133-4BA9-A822-A3614CBB03D3.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 339
  • 7B4EC314-5E82-4A02-91DE-9EE53896B0B0.jpg
    7B4EC314-5E82-4A02-91DE-9EE53896B0B0.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 345

Latest posts

Members online