Best built 6.4 long block

239single6four

Reaction score
Ok guys in the market for a long block that can handle some power . Cracked number 4 piston and don’t want to
Go threw the labor of having it rebuilt

Talked to j&k alittle
Also talked to Midwest but they want a ton

Let me know who’s out there

Reaction score
There's nothing cheap about a rebuilt long block.... if you want the best, you gotta pay.

I have had great experience with Midwest Diesel. I opted to build my own motor with their parts. Just their attention to detail on the parts speaks volumes.

Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

ckrueg

Reaction score
Agreed, the last thing you want to go cheap on is the engine.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

239single6four

Reaction score
Not saying I want to go cheap was just looking for who’s out there building them with a good rep... 18k is a lot to drop on a Midwest

cbrown

Reaction score
What does that include. I'm building my own right now and have a decent hookup on parts. Depending on how far you're going, 18k is not terrible.

dsberman94

Reaction score
It’s a 6.4. It’s the most picky, expensive and costly to fix/maintain diesel there is. Not the truck to own if you don’t want to spend money on it.

239single6four

Reaction score
I dont See them being anymore expensive to maintain then any other diesel if your doing it right . Like I said Not trying to gonthe cheao route . But I would Like to compare but don’t know who’s out there with a good rep besides mid west ? So I get They are expensive I dint Need to be reminded . I have Had the truck 3 years and have plenty in it ... I knew Cracking a piston was something that could happen

sootie

Reaction score
I dont See them being anymore expensive to maintain then any other diesel if your doing it right . Like I said Not trying to gonthe cheao route . But I would Like to compare but don’t know who’s out there with a good rep besides mid west ? So I get They are expensive I dint Need to be reminded . I have Had the truck 3 years and have plenty in it ... I knew Cracking a piston was something that could happen

They are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more expensive to run, whether they are built right or not.

Go with a site vendor for sure, a lot of the reman companies out there like blackwater and jasper produce pure chit. Even the Ford remans are hit and miss.

Personally i would go with Midwest and tailor the build to match your budget. Typical stock reman plus HD pistons and HD lifters should run nowhere near 18k.

239single6four

Reaction score
It’s going to be either mid west or j&k I’m not going to half add it with the set up I wabt To run. And how do you figure they are sooooooooooook much more expensive to run .

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
Call Midwest and talk to Jared. He will set you up. I wouldn't trust. Anybody who is selling a 6.4 longblock or shortblock "cheap". You should also ask him the price of a 6.7 motor that will make you mad a little bit!

sootie

Reaction score
It’s going to be either mid west or j&k I’m not going to half add it with the set up I wabt To run. And how do you figure they are sooooooooooook much more expensive to run .

i guess breaking/building four six fours i kind of know what i am talking about? (these are personal ones, I don't do it for a living)

you could build it with the best parts in the world, you still have no control over a hpfp taking a crap and wiping out your fuel system, or hanging an injector causing a melted piston, destroyed block and bent rod. Lifters are a crap shoot too, by the time you realize one has gone bad, you've eaten the cam and sent shavings thru the whole motor...and with any luck, sent needle bearings thru the lpop. The lack of top end lubricity in these motors causes excessive wear on rocker arms and bridges that will need to be tended to frequently.

I could go on and on but you get the point. When these things fail, its never a simple fix-kind of like how you cracked a piston you know? Turns into a motor build. Ya, thats the life of running a six four.

I dont dispute they are a ton of fun and have the potential to make big power. For a toy-sure. For reliability-nevah

on edit: J&K lol the email address is a gmail account, and their site says that 08-10 E-series vans use six fours haha no way in he!l i'd use them...

Last edited:

6.4 Stroker

Reaction score
i guess breaking/building four six fours i kind of know what i am talking about? (these are personal ones, I don't do it for a living)

you could build it with the best parts in the world, you still have no control over a hpfp taking a crap and wiping out your fuel system, or hanging an injector causing a melted piston, destroyed block and bent rod. Lifters are a crap shoot too, by the time you realize one has gone bad, you've eaten the cam and sent shavings thru the whole motor...and with any luck, sent needle bearings thru the lpop. The lack of top end lubricity in these motors causes excessive wear on rocker arms and bridges that will need to be tended to frequently.

I could go on and on but you get the point. When these things fail, its never a simple fix-kind of like how you cracked a piston you know? Turns into a motor build. Ya, thats the life of running a six four.

I dont dispute they are a ton of fun and have the potential to make big power. For a toy-sure. For reliability-nevah

on edit: J&K lol the email address is a gmail account, and their site says that 08-10 E-series vans use six fours haha no way in he!l i'd use them...

So a site error, and and Email address is enough not to use them? Lol
I mean, if you wanna get that picky, RCD has a picture of a 6.0 for their 6.4 section.
Not saying I would or wouldn’t use JK, but come on.

sootie

Reaction score
I mean, if you wanna get that picky, RCD has a picture of a 6.0 for their 6.4 section.

I guess I have been burned a couple to many times in this industry. I'm leary now...

Here today, gone tomorrow is all to common nowadays.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score

unless you KNOW multiple people with a GOOD experience, steer clear. engine rebuilders have THE shadiest reps of anybody in this industry.

Reaction score
We normally have shortblocks in stock but we are waiting on our NEW block program. We can look over your old engine as well. We do Quite a few Part of the reason why I do not get on here much :(.

Pic your poison but I am not our here to offer a Cheap product I am here to offer a quality service.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
We normally have shortblocks in stock but we are waiting on our NEW block program. We can look over your old engine as well. We do Quite a few Part of the reason why I do not get on here much :(.

Pic your poison but I am not our here to offer a Cheap product I am here to offer a quality service.

or op- just go with solid people like this guy. ^^^^^^^^^

Latest posts

Members online