Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Non - Specific > Truck Audio

Old 12-23-2017, 12:55 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomax View Post
How do cars get away without those little wing antennas on the roof? Itís factory too..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinda what I was thinking. Even the old 80ís Chevy trucks that had them inside the windshield worked decent

Old 12-25-2017, 06:30 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
How do cars get away without those little wing antennas on the roof? It’s factory too..

It all depends on what frequency they are being used to receive. The higher the frequency, the shorter the antenna. They two are inversely proportional.

Cell phone antennas are very short due to their higher frequency band. Those 'wing antennas are usually for GPS and or Cell phone. They are big enough to house both.

For instance, in radar, the actual antenna is about 1/8" tall inside the feed horn of the dish.

Back in the 80's, when servicing a down Satellite receiver, my first job was to inspect the massive dish feed horn for 'critters'. Often I would find a spider that decided to take up residency inside the feed horn, and every time the little dude would move, the place complained of poor or no reception. That's because the spider was literally blocking the signal from the dish from being received on the 1/8" tall antenna. So part of my tool kit to repair those 3 meter dish installations was 1 can of bug spray, and another can of contact cleaner to remove the oil from the bug spray.

Why was the antenna so small?

The microwave frequency band is very high on the light spectrum.

Same reason for the winged antenna on the roof of a car, or a 'nub' style. It all depends on what they are being used for.

Thus, a short antenna for GPS or cell phone in the car.
2000 Excursion V-10 6.8L 4WD
Use your head numbskull, bigger isn't always better.
Just 'cause you can, doesn't mean you should.

Last edited by Dave_Nevada; 12-25-2017 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:16 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
How do cars get away without those little wing antennas on the roof? Itís factory too..

after my internet research(lol) apparently they have an amplifier built in that is correctly set to the right gain for length of antenna
2015 F250 platinum, flopro 5", jones turbine 5050xl, polished No Limit stage 2/pg 7 and prefilter intake, h&s intercooler pipe(throttlebody-gone) and half ccv reroute, jenny craig, sotf gear hedd tune, Rigid DOT fogs, Chinese 40" radius led, amp steps, weathertechs, edge cts2, titan tank, dieselsite fuel filter, blue ox gooseneck, Hellwig bars, retrofit projectors, linex plat, retrax cover,full Carli 2.5" backcountry,fox 2.0 res shocks, toyo rt 37", OUO ala & bars