Powermaxx, big sticks, and tuning

jjordan355

Reaction score
Any advice or recommendations are appreciated. So here goes. Im running a 68mm modded powermaxx turbo from RCD, 190cc/100% injectors, chromoly pushrods, 5k valve springs, Arp studs, regulated fuel return, fass 100 titanium lift pump, and custom ******** tunes (full fuel, reduced fuel, and tow). This is a ccsb 4x4.

1. What kind of horsepower and torque am i looking at with this setup?

2. Is there any better tuning? not that i dont like the tunes that i have. it runs strong but it has A LOT of fuel.

3. What kind of track times would this put down? Im currently finishing up a trans with a warren kit to hold it all. The trans thats in it is slipping hard in 3rd and terrible 3-5 shift flair. coupled with the tcc not engaging makes for it less than ideal to try and make a pass until the trans is in.

Nick7.3

Reaction score
I made 600/1160 with 190/75 and a 68 Vgt from Charlie at kc. I had an rcd 68 and wasn't impressed with it. I'm also 6000ft of elevation, haven't track tested though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick7.3

Reaction score
I like the reduced fuel tune and the full fuel tunes from truck source diesel, I also pair it with ficm tuning from php

jjordan355

Reaction score
Interesting, i have thought about getting a ficm tune recently. I have read good things about KC turbos and it makes me want to try them out as I'm not entirely impressed with this RCD turbo. What do you think about 100% nozzles? i feel it is too much fuel as on my full fuel tune it does not clean up at WOT. i have g earhead tuning

05wh250

Reaction score
I ran the same tuning with 190/100's and a barder 68. It cleaned it up to an almost unnoticed haze at wide open. Track times showed 630-640. Have you checked everything for boost leaks? Stock intercooler?

jjordan355

Reaction score
yes stock intercooler. there's no boost leaks. the truck runs really strong just doesn't clean up. how much boost were you pushing? and what was your track times?

thewrubelator

Reaction score
I'm a fan of Erics tuning, he has a dual shift option, that when you click Tow/haul mode on, it will lock TC in 3rd all the way up. 190/100s are a real bitch to tune, tough to control fuel with a 100%...I'd go with a 75%.

jjordan355

Reaction score
thanks for the insight. after i get my trans in I'm getting different tuning. how does the truck drive with tow/haul off? i wanna say i seen you mentioned this in another thread.

bootcamp

Reaction score
I have the RCD 68 with 175/75 on reduced fuel with the PHP 40 horse ficm tuning and it smokes like a freight train. Saving my $$ for a while now for a KC.

Derkperk

Reaction score
I runs Eric's X race tune with my RCD 68 and 180/75's. The truck runs smoke free once boost is made but sure smokes down low. I've been very happy with this set up.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

kwelch08

Reaction score
If you are dead set on sticking with your current injectors I would recommend looking into the kc stage 3 turbo or even the NEW stage 2r ball bearing vgt turbo KC has come out with. I have been testing the Kc stage 2r ball bearing for awhile now with 190/30 injectors and I'm extremely impressed. Hell even my cousin with 190/75 and a modded 68mm powermax is about to make the switch after I walked off on him and he drove my truck. Charlie ran the stage 2r with 205/30 injectors on the dyno iirc and made a little north of the 600rwhp mark.

With the stage 2r I noticed a 100-250 degree drop in my EGTs cruising at 75mph on the highwway, and about 175* drop in EGTs when towing my last 5er that weighted in between 14k-16k depending what else I had it loaded down with, and that was even pulling substantially sized hills in the far side of west Texas and east New Mexico from Las Cruses through El Paso and up through the Guadalupe mountain pass my EGTs never got above 1175.

If you are dead set with the setup you currently have you might contact try tunes from TSD or Eric I have had good experiences from both. I have a stage 3 trans and the shifts are a little rough but with both the TSD and tunes from Eric the shifts are really smooth, but still have the positive feeling of a built transmission.

Last edited:

jjordan355

Reaction score
If you are dead set on sticking with your current injectors I would recommend looking into the kc stage 3 turbo or even the NEW stage 2r ball bearing vgt turbo KC has come out with. I have been testing the Kc stage 2r ball bearing for awhile now with 190/30 injectors and I'm extremely impressed. Hell even my cousin with 190/75 and a modded 68mm powermax is about to make the switch after I walked off on him and he drove my truck. Charlie ran the stage 2r with 205/30 injectors on the dyno iirc and made a little north of the 600rwhp mark.

With the stage 2r I noticed a 100-250 degree drop in my EGTs cruising at 75mph on the highwway, and about 175* drop in EGTs when towing my last 5er that weighted in between 14k-16k depending what else I had it loaded down with, and that was even pulling substantially sized hills in the far side of west Texas and east New Mexico from Las Cruses through El Paso and up through the Guadalupe mountain pass my EGTs never got above 1175.

If you are dead set with the setup you currently have you might contact try tunes from TSD or Eric I have had good experiences from both. I have a stage 3 trans and the shifts are a little rough but with both the TSD and tunes from Eric the shifts are really smooth, but still have the positive feeling of a built transmission.

what are the differences between the KC stage 3 and 2r turbos?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Stage 3 is bigger, it os a 68mm. The 2r spools a helluva lot faster. I have yet to try one, but charlie says its a ton quicker than the stage 2 which spools like an 03 stock turbo, about 1700 rpm or so it making about 7 psi. The stage 3 spools aroumd 2000 making between 7-10 psi. Charlie said on the dyno the 2r made 30 less hp than the stage 3 with 205/30 injectors, only change being the turbo.

I had the stage 2, jumped to a 3 to test, both are towable, stage 2 is pretty much a no braimer whenn towing, stage 3 takes some concentration and a tune that locks out o/d. The stage 2 is much easier to drive on the street, especially in traffic. With the stage 3 i constantly use the o/d lockout to keep from blacking out everyone behind me. Stage 3 is quieter, due to the larger turbine it doesnt whistle like crazy, there is still a bit of noise, but the 2 can pretty mich be heard a block and a half away. Its ***king loud...

There wasnt much adjustment in driving jumping from stock 04.5 to a stage 2, and from a stage 2 to a stage 3 it wasnt too bad of an adjustment either. If you jump from stock to a stage 3 it will be a massive adjustment in your driving habits. It is probably close to a 600-700 rpm difference in spool from stock 04.5+to a stage 3.

With your injectors, id be leaning more towards a stage 3, with the 100s it should spool fairly quick, probably quicker than mine with 30s, but i gotta pass smog :fustrate:, and it should clean it all up on the top end with no issues.

kwelch08

Reaction score
The 2r spools insanely fast coming from the stage 2 but like said before the s3 would probably be best for your set up. The 2r sucks up my 190/30s quick

jjordan355

Reaction score
I was also leaning towards the stage 3 since it would be easier rather than changing injectors and turbo for a stage 2. Do you guys think a 2r would clean up my 100s? and still spool quick?
kwelch08 I've watched your videos of that turbo and man am I impressed by how fast that thing spools!

kwelch08

Reaction score
Thank you sir It might clean them up. Charlie probably could answer that one. It completely cleans up my 190/30s to absolutely nothing

TurboV

Reaction score
A VGT wont clean up 100% nozzles without spray. That's just alot of fuel. Im running Charlies Ball Bearing S369 and it cleans up my 205/100 to almost nothing. I also have a cam and Odawg S3R. I would try an Odawg S3R to help with the bigger nozzles and to help the chargers spool. Noticed huge gains with it from stock to modified.

Latest posts

Members online