Best Steering Box Option for 2001

PABowhunter

Reaction score
I'm not going to go with a 16. I'm going to give Blue Top a shot. Talked to the owner for a while on the phone today.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
He worked at Redhead back in the day and remains friends with them.

He personally rebuilds every gearbox and tests them. He talked about some of the internals that he changes and upgrades (I'm not really familiar with all of the inner workings) and how he tightens up the worm gear.

sootie

Reaction score
He worked at Redhead back in the day and remains friends with them.

He personally rebuilds every gearbox and tests them. He talked about some of the internals that he changes and upgrades (I'm not really familiar with all of the inner workings) and how he tightens up the worm gear.

do they replace the bushing with needle bearings?

PABowhunter

Reaction score
New needle bearings, new oversized ball bearings tested for each gear box and OEM seals.

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
New needle bearings, new oversized ball bearings tested for each gear box and OEM seals.

Does he have a site? Price? I just tightened up a reman I got a year or two back. Everything else from the pitman arm down, including hubs and balljoints, has been replaced within the year and I'm still not satisfied with the steering...

Just looking at options...

**EDIT**
Found the site, prices seem nice, would like to see/hear some reviews...

Last edited:

Countrycar

Reaction score
PABowhunter: I redid my entire system about 10 yrs ago. I did a redhead steering box with a psc pump w reservoir conversion kit. It made a huge difference in the sensitivity and the handling of the truck when driving. I still can't turn my steering wheel from a stop, but any little movement and it turns pretty easy. I'm running MT 35X13.50X18 as well. With the kit I installed I can install a ram kit pretty easy now, 2 hoses and the ram will do it. It was a back up plan at one point. As I mentioned, I'm happy with how it drives. The last time I talked to Charlie/PSC, he mentioned to me that not only do they offer the same steering box upgrades as Redhead, but if you send them your hydroboost unit, they will make some major improvements on it as well. I never did, but I wish that I would have.

Last edited:

rusty1161

Reaction score
PABowhunter: I redid my entire system about 10 yrs ago. I did a redhead steering box with a psc pump w reservoir conversion kit. It made a huge difference in the sensitivity and the handling of the truck when driving. I still can't turn my steering wheel from a stop, but any little movement and it turns pretty easy. I'm running MT 35X13.50X18 as well. With the kit I installed I can install a ram kit pretty easy now, 2 hoses and the ram will do it. It was a back up plan at one point. As I mentioned, I'm happy with how it drives. The last time I talked to Charlie/PSC, he mentioned to me that not only do they offer the same steering box upgrades as Redhead, but if you send them your hydroboost unit, they will make some major improvements on it as well. I never did, but I wish that I would have.

I've heard good things steering and braking wise when the hydro boost is ported. Check out Pirate for some reviews and info.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...-vanco-ported-hydroboost-unit-evaluation.html

Rusty

Jomax

Reaction score
I had two red head boxes fail within a year. Won't use them again. For 2005+ boxes the ford remans are tight.

I also have a slight used 2007 steering boxes ford reman (250 miles) I'll be selling. Would make a great upgrade for someone. I don't care for a core.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PABowhunter

Reaction score
I looked into some of the PSC and other stuff designed for off-road/large tires. I'm sure it is good stuff, but it was outside of the price point that I was willing to spend.

PABowhunter

Reaction score
id like to know more about these blue tops

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I ordered mine on Thursday and it showed up on Saturday. Not bad for shipping from North Dakota to Pennsylvania.

I got tied up with some other projects this weekend but I plan to put it in this week and report back. I'll be doing replacing the tie rod at the pitman arm and drag link at the same time. Also plan on draining the powersteering fluid and replacing with some fresh Schaeffers synthetic that I have.

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
All I can say is I love the redhead box, I got it directly from them, as I lived in Tacoma... I put mine on about a year ago, super tight steering with 38x15.50'a, haven't had an issue..

Latest posts

Members online