GEM module

boggerr

Reaction score
I know they made two different size pulleys for the 7.3s When I replaced mine way back when the alt came with a larger pulley, which I didn't realize. Mine would start dropping voltage when hot, luckily I saved the old pulley and that cured the problem. Something to look into but isn't going to help you if your batteries are dying while sitting

bluedge8

Reaction score
Jake, look into a fluke 376 meter, they have them with built in bluetooth now so you could amp different wires while driving and watch the amperage on your phone. They are a great multi-meter and yes, they can measure DC amperage. While seemingly expensive at around $400.00 that would be cheap if you found your problem.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I know they made two different size pulleys for the 7.3s When I replaced mine way back when the alt came with a larger pulley, which I didn't realize. Mine would start dropping voltage when hot, luckily I saved the old pulley and that cured the problem. Something to look into but isn't going to help you if your batteries are dying while sitting

This has the smaller pully, and is rated at retarded amperage at very few RPMs. It's definitely a draw. I had the batteries charged, and it would draw them down off after a couple days. It's a very odd draw, changes all the time. I've even tried my Xs powers. Those things are also ridiculous. If it's not the GEM, it's going to be some wire deep in the dash or something crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boggerr

Reaction score
This has the smaller pully, and is rated at retarded amperage at very few RPMs. It's definitely a draw. I had the batteries charged, and it would draw them down off after a couple days. It's a very odd draw, changes all the time. I've even tried my Xs powers. Those things are also ridiculous. If it's not the GEM, it's going to be some wire deep in the dash or something crazy.

Gotcha! Wasn't sure if the draw was figured out yet and I figured I would mention that pulley cause it got me at one point lol

I would start with that gem and see what you get. Only other option is to pull every fuse out and see if the batteries draw down.

haligen

Reaction score
I'm not sure if you've tried this yet, but when my TDI had a weird drain I had to buy a clamp on amp meter. I then started circuit by circuit with the car off looking for what was still pulling amps. Come to find out it was a broken wire in the door harness that wouldn't let the computer enter sleep mode.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Seems like a pretty healthy draw if it kills batteries in two days. I would find someone with a thermal camera and check it out on a cool night after it's been sitting. They have some cool options for smartphones these days too. I'm thinking about picking one up for troubleshooting electrical problems.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
truck has been sitting for a few days now and jim said batteries are still perfectly charged without gem in truck....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
myself amd a couple of my cousins have been screwed over on parts over the years so i gave it up.

eng53ine

Reaction score
I might have fuse box out of an 01 if that would work. Will have to dig in the building to be sure though

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Except that's just the fuse box with no GEM and likely will not solve the problem.

I'll try to do some looking. Been very busy and these kind of parts are stored in a place not easy for me to sort through. :doh::doh:

If Jim has the numbers off your GEM can you PM them to me.
ok. ill see if jim can get those numbers for me. thank you sir.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Except that's just the fuse box with no GEM and likely will not solve the problem.

I'll try to do some looking. Been very busy and these kind of parts are stored in a place not easy for me to sort through. :doh::doh:

If Jim has the numbers off your GEM can you PM them to me.
pm sent!

Latest posts

Members online