Trans fluid change

RyanD

Reaction score
Hey guys,

'13 6.7, it's that time of year for an oil/fuel filter change, and I'd like to go ahead and change the trans filter/fluid while I'm down there this time. Truck has 72K miles and was a CPO (I got it at 48K), so I am sure it was checked and all, but for peace of mind I'd like to go with LE or Amsoil.

Anyhow, guys who have done it, have you seen this video? I am thinking of doing it this way but would like the real experts' thoughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsVjjUIIkgo

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Only way I've ever done them. If you go with LE post back with results. I'm a long time Amsoil user but recently bought 10 gal of LE motor oil to try.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
I just flushed my trans oil referencing this video. Bought the trans cooler line release clip from Napa, oil and filter from Ford and the rest was a piece of cake!

Jomax

Reaction score
Never have done it. Probably never will. I just drain every 10k miles and every 20k it gets a pan drop and filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRLott

Reaction score
I don't know how they justify that as safe.

Of course it's safe...it's also irrelevant since it's out of warranty, so they don't GAF. Goes back to the cost of ownership stuff. No need to change spark plugs or trans fluid for 100k, fuel filters are lifetime and 20k for oil burners. Most on here don't agree with most/any of that, but it sure looks good on paper...until the tranny craps out at 108k since it was neglected the first 100k. At that point it's out of warranty and $5-$10k later you realize you could have bought a crap load of tranny fluid and filters for less than that. IMO, your truck is a prime example of the benefits of a quality maintenance schedule.

Jomax

Reaction score
Of course it's safe...it's also irrelevant since it's out of warranty, so they don't GAF. Goes back to the cost of ownership stuff. No need to change spark plugs or trans fluid for 100k, fuel filters are lifetime and 20k for oil burners. Most on here don't agree with most/any of that, but it sure looks good on paper...until the tranny craps out at 108k since it was neglected the first 100k. At that point it's out of warranty and $5-$10k later you realize you could have bought a crap load of tranny fluid and filters for less than that. IMO, your truck is a prime example of the benefits of a quality maintenance schedule.

True, this truck had showed me that maintenance is key... even though I've slipped this past interval, I'm at 14k miles on the fuel filter and 6k miles on the oil without a filter change. It's getting all of its fluid changed tomorrow. Diffs, TC, brake fluid, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online