Upgrade 2012 CAC tube to the 2017 design?

DieselDog

Reaction score
any pics? Was it a must to change the intercooler?
bb606558dc9fce97d4bdd1984d6fa78e.jpg
087f7414cc9050d939c23e48e39e879e.jpg
c45c8b0c43d31809b73605321db5f731.jpg
c34dd68cd8fa25c2609dcdeef4167354.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
looks good for the most part. still has that plastic fitting that sometimes fails.

bradschauf

Reaction score
Just received my H&S intercooler upgrade kit for our 2012. Going on this weekend. Looks like a well built piece of kit!
766cbb867c669f25024a641664e5827f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HS-MotorsportsZane

Reaction score
The outlet size has changed on the 2017 intercooler, so they are not a direct replacement on the older trucks. We see the plastic coupler still failing so we made an upgrade kit with a new one piece design and sensor bung in place on the throttle body coupler as well. The factory 17 hose is barley two ply and is not a desirable part in my opinion as well. We made a 6 ply stainless reinforced one piece hose/boot for them also, and are making the one piece design for the older trucks also as we speak. They will be released very shortly. The 2017 kit is available right now.

https://hs-motorsports.com/misc-products/17-ford-6-7l-intercooler-upgrade-kit-oem.html

Attachments

• IMG_6280.jpg
    IMG_6280.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_6134.JPG
    IMG_6134.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_6133.jpg
    IMG_6133.jpg
    889.7 KB · Views: 100

DieselDog

Reaction score
looks good for the most part. still has that plastic fitting that sometimes fails.
They beef'd it up at that point it's definitely more stout then previous model design but only time will tell. Still cheaper prices route then the A/M brands. Nothing against A/M brands they make a nice design but wanted to try this out see how it works.
As for harness I don't think you will need to extend circuits. Look like all you have to do is re-route it.
I see more of this type of hose failures then the end blowing apart. (See image)
7d1ff42709adaac69991b088f4e0059e.jpg

DieselDog

Reaction score
The outlet size has changed on the 2017 intercooler, so they are not a direct replacement on the older trucks. We see the plastic coupler still failing so we made an upgrade kit with a new one piece design and sensor bung in place on the throttle body coupler as well. The factory 17 hose is barley two ply and is not a desirable part in my opinion as well. We made a 6 ply stainless reinforced one piece hose/boot for them also, and are making the one piece design for the older trucks also as we speak. They will be released very shortly. The 2017 kit is available right now.

https://hs-motorsports.com/misc-products/17-ford-6-7l-intercooler-upgrade-kit-oem.html
That's a clean setup might have to go to that new style 2017 setup
What's the setup going for ?

DieselDog

Reaction score
That's a clean setup might have to go to that new style 2017 setup
What's the setup going for ?

Nevermind just noticed the link.

bradschauf

Reaction score
Doing the H&S install right now. I could swear I had seen a cutaway view of the pipe to boot fitment that shows how far the boot goes over the pipe someplace. Anyone seen this?

Install instructions are not very clear on this step and I want to make sure I get it correct as this is my first time messing with intercooler pipes and boots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GregWork

Reaction score
As a preventive measure, I installed Rudy's Cold Side Charge Air Pipe Upgrade on Saturday.

This kit seems to be an upgrade from the previous pictures I've seen. Came with a new clip and o-ring, and the hoses look more like the 2017 OEM hose. Only trouble was with the largest clamp (is a little small), had to open it to get it on and then was difficult to reassemble with the tight tolerances. Took about 90 minutes R&R.

I drove it 100 miles yesterday, and I'm surprised that it improved the power a little. I'm showing 1-2 psi more boost on the gauge and the butt dynometer feels a little more oomph.

Now I'd be the first to admit that it sounds like the placebo effect, but I didn't expect any change and was surprised to feel/ see a small improvement. I only upgraded for the reliability enhancement. Wasn't looking for performance.

Only thing I can think is the metal tube has a slightly larger ID and the mandrel bend smooths airflow...

Attachments

• box-sm.jpg
    box-sm.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 84
  • factory-sm.jpg
    factory-sm.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
  • preassembly-sm.jpg
    preassembly-sm.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 90
  • installed-sm.jpg
    installed-sm.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 95
Reaction score

Is the outlet size on the intercooler on the 17s bigger or smaller? I didnt know they had different sizes on the new ones.

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
As a preventive measure, I installed Rudy's Cold Side Charge Air Pipe Upgrade on Saturday.

This kit seems to be an upgrade from the previous pictures I've seen. Came with a new clip and o-ring, and the hoses look more like the 2017 OEM hose. Only trouble was with the largest clamp (is a little small), had to open it to get it on and then was difficult to reassemble with the tight tolerances. Took about 90 minutes R&R.

I drove it 100 miles yesterday, and I'm surprised that it improved the power a little. I'm showing 1-2 psi more boost on the gauge and the butt dynometer feels a little more oomph.

Now I'd be the first to admit that it sounds like the placebo effect, but I didn't expect any change and was surprised to feel/ see a small improvement. I only upgraded for the reliability enhancement. Wasn't looking for performance.

Only thing I can think is the metal tube has a slightly larger ID and the mandrel bend smooths airflow...
more boost infers a restriction not more power. fyi

Members online

No members online now.